Dandadan Manga Thread

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
@42 Monks @LordDeathwatch @storyteller This thread been long overdue, but man this is undoubtedly the Best Action series in Jump currently. With the anime is looking really solid despite the manga being a tough adaptation to do.

Where to Read: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100171

fv_004_pc.png

Last edited:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps

Man Tatsu deserves this break, but man is work ethic is insane.

Also, thoughts on the chapter.

Momo is saved, but why is she still small? Gotta wait to get the details.

Saint Germain damn more than likely he was playing dumb with the Fairy Tail Card. He definitely has the feel of our end game boss. I get the sense this is the end of act 1 in the story. Next would be maybe act 2? Then the final arc/act 3 be going up against him. Sensei deserves the break, but he is still on the grind doing research. Got to bless that man's work ethic.

SPOILER_AB7210B2-47E4-43F7-903E-E03F19CE0551.png

SPOILER_CD9690DC-844D-40C0-A59F-FACC8B90560C.png

SPOILER_5328B88F-2659-4B89-8DDD-DED9A65D18D2.png

SPOILER_566E1B3F-72A5-4E4F-B751-4E2A29D97C32.png

Def going to plan a reread while the manga is on break.

Last edited:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Yes Sir, definitely too tier writing in every facet. I actually was planning on catching up this week once I get back current with Arslan. :wow:
One of the very few weeklies you count week and week out to be good. The only other series that does the same for me are Akane-banshi and Shangri-La Frontier. (Elusive Samurai & Yozakura Family, after their slow starts, have been great. Centuria and Goze Hotaru are two newcomers they have impressed me. I have Kagurabachi on hold since chapter 15, so can't comment on that one.)

The series actually takes the time to flesh its cast and the world out that so many Shounens lack. Sakamoto Days is a great battle manga, but its biggest weakness is that it doesn't slow down. (Which is the weakness of some shounens) Dandadan does that well in the flashbacks for each of the 8 kids and even with the slow time between arcs. Something that IMO MHA really never did well just talking about the anime. Since out of how many kids Bakugo and Shouto you actually cared about.

Actually, following our conversations about CSM a while back. What Dandadan also does well it executes well what it sets up for. Which we mentioned is very sorely lacking in part 2 of CSM in terms of direction. Of course, we could talk about the art for days.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I had to neglect the thread for a few days because I had a few chapters to catch up on. But I think Dandadan is the top dog right now for Shonen. It doesn't make sense that the art is so good on a weekly manga. The plot is fun, and they haven't fallen into the "good guys have to constantly get their ass kicked for drama" that's seeped into most of my "had a spark when you started" picks.

Non-major spoiler - Seems like we've met a Big Bad with this last arc's conclusion.

I wonder if Granny will have to cook for the entire delinquent gang now
:mjlol:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
:ohhh: this doesnt look trash or corny like 99.9% of everything else
Honestly, more times than the not you have to look for the good shyt in terms of action shows.

This and Sakamoto Days are still doing great MHA, JJK and CSM are crashing and burning, but are the ones generating the most Buzz.

Also like how fukking popular and wack Sword Arts Online is and from a quality perspective, Shangri-La Frontier is much, much better in areas that actually matter. Talking about the VR Video Game Action genre.

Frieren might be the rare exception where it matches the hype. Though as a manga, not many people talked about it until it received an anime. Which is similar to a lot of monthly series.

I had to neglect the thread for a few days because I had a few chapters to catch up on. But I think Dandadan is the top dog right now for Shonen. It doesn't make sense that the art is so good on a weekly manga. The plot is fun, and they haven't fallen into the "good guys have to constantly get their ass kicked for drama" that's seeped into most of my "had a spark when you started" picks.

Non-major spoiler - Seems like we've met a Big Bad with this last arc's conclusion.

I wonder if Granny will have to cook for the entire delinquent gang now
:mjlol:
I think calling Dandadan a shonen is underselling how good it is. Since when people think of shonen they just like fights. But Dandadan offers more than that. Imo Dandadan matches the quality you see out of a top-notch seinen monthly manga. But somehow it's a weekly series. God bless Tatsu-Sensei

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think calling Dandadan a shonen is underselling how good it is. Since when people think of shonen they just like fights. But Dandadan offers more than that. Imo Dandadan matches the quality you see out of a top-notch seinen monthly manga. But somehow it's a weekly series. God bless Tatsu-Sensei
I feel you, but I think its quality serves to show that Shonen don't have to be so damned weak. It can hang with the best seinen, but it still feels like it checks all the boxes of a shonen. It just does everything better than the rest (and better than most seinen for that matter). It's the "step your game up" that the genre needed.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I feel you, but I think its quality serves to show that Shonen don't have to be so damned weak. It can hang with the best seinen, but it still feels like it checks all the boxes of a shonen. It just does everything better than the rest (and better than most seinen for that matter). It's the "step your game up" that the genre needed.
I agree ultimately that the issue comes is that most weekly mangaka struggle with planning ahead. Tatsu does this really well. Akane-banashi is the other series that excels in this department as well. But more impressive for Tatsu since he does both story and art. Him taking a month off for research is proof of that.

It is very fitting the anime's first cour is already finished given how Tatsu is with his work ethic.

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
I have to catch up on this. I remember reading this a few years ago when there were only like 30 or sohh chapters but this shyt was a ride.

I really love the style of this. This is one of the few Manga since Bleach that has such sauce in every panel with dynamic ass fights.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I agree ultimately that the issue comes is that most weekly mangaka struggle with planning ahead. Tatsu does this really well. Akane-banashi is the other series that excels in this department as well. But more impressive for Tatsu since he does both story and art. Him taking a month off for research is proof of that.

It is very fitting the anime's first cour is already finished given how Tatsu is with his work ethic.
Kinda makes me think of the Architect vs Gardener approach to writing.

I never hear it from Mangaka, but I know fiction writers have two types of approaches. Architects plan everything out before the pen hits paper. Gardeners will craft characters and plant some seeds in the plot, but that's all. Then they put pen to paper and see where the story takes them (this is George RR Martin's method for example).

I've always gotten the sense that most mangaka use the gardener style, and it makes sense. They have time constraints and editors, plus they have to survive the fan polls and keep interest up. But I really lean toward the Architect approach being better...but with its own pitfalls (procrastination being a big one).

So as painful as a month without new chapters is, I'm definitely happy to hear it. Tatsu is awesome. Oda too...Oda seems to have mastered a hybrid version of the two approaches.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Kinda makes me think of the Architect vs Gardener approach to writing.

I never hear it from Mangaka, but I know fiction writers have two types of approaches. Architects plan everything out before the pen hits paper. Gardeners will craft characters and plant some seeds in the plot, but that's all. Then they put pen to paper and see where the story takes them (this is George RR Martin's method for example).

I've always gotten the sense that most mangaka use the gardener style, and it makes sense. They have time constraints and editors, plus they have to survive the fan polls and keep interest up. But I really lean toward the Architect approach being better...but with its own pitfalls (procrastination being a big one).

So as painful as a month without new chapters is, I'm definitely happy to hear it. Tatsu is awesome. Oda too...Oda seems to have mastered a hybrid version of the two approaches.
It is very difficult to plan everything ahead in the manga industry. Yamada-Sensei (author of Frieren) absolutely falls in the architect type. When you consider how many times, it enters hiatus. The content is usually mapped out so well in the series, but damn getting through some arcs chapter by chapter is a pain. It does add motivation to reread whenever a major arc ends.

But yes a hybrid of the two like Oda is the best for the manga industry since you can't keep readers away for too long.

I plan to reread Dandadan through the whole month of August to get a refresher since the manga has come such a long way since the start.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Have read up to Ch. 50 on my reread so far. One plot thread that is still up in the air currently in the manga is the Subterraneans. Which seems to be the identity of the group during the Evil Eye arc that was sacrificing people to appease the cryptid Death Worm. Curious how they play into things with Saint Germain since he is clearly set up as the big final villain.

xv3y6z5heybb1.png