D.C. Mayor Vetoes 'Living Wage' Bill Targeting Large Retailers

JasonSJackson

Jah Sun Ma'at Ra
Daps
Reppin
Maat
I highly doubt that this was a credible threat. That's like all those employers in NYC who fought off the paid sick leave act this year. They always make these claims but ultimately they're not about to leave a major market that easily.

@King Poetic , it always astounds me how quickly people are to cape for big businesses and accept their "facts" as truth. What supposed research did these politicians not take into account when passing these acts...they were being lobbied the entire time. As long as people act this cowardly, in cases where something can change, they'll never get anything. What research did you do....

Please tell me where else in the metro DC area were these Wal-Marts and Targets going to move to that is (a) accessible and (b) where they would not be facing left-leaning populations that would most likely favor the same sort of legislation... These are serious questions...

well said sir

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Mayor did the right thing. City government has no right to be robin hood. Had they passed this bill, Walmart would've pulled out on the stores they were building east of the river. Have yall nikkas seen the grocery stores east of the river? There are none :comeon:
The government job is to be Robin Hood

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Yeah but it's been proven that Walmarts destroy more jobs than they create i.e putting other companies out of business. Plus, they pay significantly lower so that's more "working" people relying on welfare to supplement their income.
please show me a study to back up this claim

Last edited:

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Uh....what?

I tend to be liberal...but are you SERIOUSLY saying this?
The government job is to provide things for society that individuals can't on their own

A big part of this is being the police of corporate greed.

They have failed and continue to do so

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Up her on Canada workers at a Walmart tried to get it unionized and they did. You know what Walmart did? Walmart closed that store

Don't take this the wrong way, but most people only speak about this stuff in general terms and don't really follows how unions work or what happens afterwards. Wal-Mart used that bully tactic one more time in Canada and then finally had to give in as there was a unionized Wal-Mart in Canada. What happened afterwards was that Wal-Mart then refused to agree to any beneficial terms as the contract went through arbitration. The arbitrator was very-Wal-Mart biased and praised their union model and basically refused to give the workers and union anything. Due to that failure, the union was then voted out by the workers. The arbitrators in NY, DC, etc. tend to be more concerned with "doing justice." It would likely be an alternate scenario unless somehow Wal-Mart got the three people it absolutely needed to get to have things go in their favor.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
The government job is to be Robin Hood
:what:by taxing a select few higher than others? thats a terrible plan. City government's role is to try to spur private investment and job creation within the city. by passing this bill you would be doing the complete opposite of both. The mayor had enough common sense to realize this.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Eh all I was pointing out that Walmart would shut it doors before raising the wages of its employees. I never researched the case etc. Just remember it being in Quebec, and Walmart closing the doors on that store using the excuse it wasn't profitable