Cutting Your Locs to Get a Job

Drip Bayless

Superstar
Daps
Whats yall opinion, especially STEM brehs. I'm getting a BS in chemistry soon and I'm tryna get an internship this summer. Moms and all my aunts stay telling me ima have to cut my shyt. Really don't want to but I got the high top dreads like this
e0e15a0dc02b74da920ebe51c378d419.jpg
so I know that shyt gon look even worse to these cacs

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Been there...done that.

As you get older....you're going to learn to pick your battles...or to adapt.

Here's what I mean by adapt.
For example...find out if there is a local branch of a Black trade association in your area. Black professionals who work in the general field you want to enter. Go to a mixer...or meeting. Ask them questions about the hair and how much it may impact your career path or the fields/jobs were it will be less of an issue. You're far from the first person who has had this issue.

If your choice of hairstyle/expression is that important to you you can make informed decision and tradeoff about where to go.

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
CompSci major. I cut my dreads off after 5 years because I have also been trying to get an internship :francis: This is what happens when we have to appease to white people to gain employment

Were you trying with them though? What was that experience like? I've seen/know SOME brehs with locs in that are programmers, but it might be the particular companies they're with are cool