Cuphead and the Racist Spectre of Fleischer Animation

Daps
100% agree

People have a right to know what those times were like. Trying to ignore it or gloss over it is worse to me

Otherwise, we end up with shyt like this

Germany isn't America. And Nazi stuff over there is outlawed for a good reason.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
To the writers point, it's not just that the 1930s style is racist. It's the theme of gambling, jazz, and the devil being related that comes directly from racist stereotypes.

So even in attempting to avoid the racism of the time, their designs are inherently racist by virtue.

That's doesn't make them racists. But their explanation that they were avoiding racism altogether doesn't fly if you really understand the history.
I think you could be reaching, and for this reason. From a biblical standpoint, you not supposed to gamble. Cuphead had a gambling compulsion, gambling affects all races, you normally see a white guy who owes money because of his gambling addiction. So that's where the devil comes into play in reality and the game :manny:

As for the music and art direction, that is the soundtrack of that era. It's supposed to look like that, to sound like that and its awesome. Any racial elements, if discovered should be discussed. To say the entire era should be viewed as a Black eye is insane. So the music that black people played back then is racist today because white people wasn't extremely fond of black people back then?

REEEEEEEEEACH

IT'S not racist to have existed, racism is if the game was used to oppress a people. If anyone felt oppressed by Cuphead in some manner please explain how...

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think you could be reaching, and for this reason. From a biblical standpoint, you not supposed to gamble. Cuphead had a gambling compulsion, gambling affects all races, you normally see a white guy who owes money because of his gambling addiction. So that's where the devil comes into play in reality and the game :manny:

As for the music and art direction, that is the soundtrack of that era. It's supposed to look like that, to sound like that and its awesome. Any racial elements, if discovered should be discussed. To say the entire era should be viewed as a Black eye is insane. So the music that black people played back then is racist today because white people wasn't extremely fond of black people back then?

REEEEEEEEEACH

IT'S not racist to have existed, racism is if the game was used to oppress a people. If anyone felt oppressed by Cuphead in some manner please explain how...
First I never said cuphead itself was racist.

Second. It's explained in the article how the art style and themes used in the game were born out of racism.

Black people and their music (jazz) were deemed as mischievous and morally bankrupt, therefore in cartoons and other media black people and their music were associated with gambling and the devil.

Racism is the reason the jazz/devil/gambling combo exist.

Also the article isn't claiming there are purposeful "racial elements" in the art.

He's saying by purposely removing the racial elements, the contributions of black artists have been lost and sterilized.

Start by actually reading the article before making up your own stuff to argue about:francis:

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
First I never said cuphead itself was racist.

Second. It's explained in the article how the art style and themes used in the game were born out of racism.

Black people amd their music (jazz) were deemed as mischievous and morally bankrupt, therefore in cartoons and other media black people and their music were associating gambling and the devil.

Racism is the reason the jazz/devil/gambling combo exist.

Also the article isn't claiming there are purposeful "racial elements" in the art.

He's saying by purposely removing the racial elements, the contributions of black artists have been lost and sterilized.

Start by actually reading the article before making up your own stuff to argue about:francis:
I did read the article? :dwillhuh: So you wanna play the intellectual game too? Ok. First off, y'all nikkaz rarely use any thought :ufdup:

This article that you seem to have adopted as your link to the past, is an opinion piece on an extremely bootleg website. The other articles on that site were equally :francis: But did you read? Just saying.

As for the views, what are you saying, white people have stereotypes? Of course they did and still do. That doesn't equal all art form the 30's is racism. You said jazz/gambling/devil is because of racism is incredibly hilariously stupid. Maybe a white person who hates nikkaz would feel that way but I don't get why you would adopt such a stupid stance :gucci:

Once again, for the people who read.. Gambling is a sin from a biblical stance. You turned that into a white Black thing, false. Yes, we played jazz. And black jazz clubs would get stereotyped as what you describe, BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK CLUBS.

But white people love and have loved jazz since back then as well. Didn't see it as evil, so why follow the thought process of the bluest eye, why do you see Cuphead and go "oh, they not paying homage to black artist":dwillhuh:
You the said this...
So they should have kept the racial elements :gucci:

Look, if you subscribe to white supremacist history then what you are saying is correct. I'm saying it's not racist at all. The majority of this site also calls Madea a c00n. But Madea is entertainment for who? (For black people by black people) don't let them make you feel ashamed that we had good musicians. Finally, only sugar Ray owned a club, the rest was owned by Calhoun :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I did read the article? :dwillhuh: So you wanna play the intellectual game too? Ok. First off, y'all nikkaz rarely use any thought :ufdup:

This article that you seem to have adopted as your link to the past, is an opinion piece on an extremely bootleg website. The other articles on that site were equally :francis: But did you read? Just saying.
That's fine, I never said I fully agreed with the article. Just correcting the record on the argument that's actually being made.

As for the views, what are you saying, white people have stereotypes? Of course they did and still do. That doesn't equal all art form the 30's is racism. You said jazz/gambling/devil is because of racism is incredibly hilariously stupid. Maybe a white person who hates nikkaz would feel that way but I don't get why you would adopt such a stupid stance :gucci:
Nobody said "all art from the 30s is racist"

Again you keep making up these arguments just to argue with yourself.

Once again, for the people who read.. Gambling is a sin from a biblical stance. You turned that into a white Black thing, false. Yes, we played jazz. And black jazz clubs would get stereotyped as what you describe, BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK CLUBS.
It's clearly documented that the music and themes surrounding black people have always been demonized.

Jazz/devil/gambling back then is equivalent to them equating rap and black people with "thugs/crime/violence today.

They did not make cartoons with white people listening to jazz and gambling. White people were always depicted as the righteous saviors, blacks as the deplorables

But white people love and have loved jazz since back then as well. Didn't see it as evil, so why follow the thought process of the bluest eye,
White people LOVE the NFL but will still call you a nikka :comeon:

why do you see Cuphead and go "oh, they not paying homage to black artist":dwillhuh:
You the said this...

So they should have kept the racial elements :gucci:
I never said this, the author of the article said it. I'm fine with the game as it is. I just think they could have talked about the racist history more as a way to educate the fans and respect the history.

Look, if you subscribe to white supremacist history then what you are saying is correct. I'm saying it's not racist at all. The majority of this site also calls Madea a c00n. But Madea is entertainment for who? (For black people by black people) don't let them make you feel ashamed that we had good musicians. Finally, only sugar Ray owned a club, the rest was owned by Calhoun :yeshrug:
fukk are you even talking about here :mjlol:

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
That's fine, I never said I fully agreed with the article. Just correcting the record on the argument that's actually being made.

Nobody said "all art from the 30s is racist"

Again you keep making up these arguments just to argue with yourself.

It's clearly documented that the music and themes surrounding black people have always been demonized.

Jazz/devil/gambling back then is equivalent to them equating rap and black people with "thugs/crime/violence today.

They did not make cartoons with white people listening to jazz and gambling. White people were always depicted as the righteous saviors, blacks as the deplorables

White people LOVE the NFL but will still call you a nikka :comeon:

I never said this, the author of the article said it. I'm fine with the game as it is. I just think they could have talked about the racist history more as a way to educate the fans and respect the history.

fukk are you even talking about here :mjlol:
You kinda dancing between white history and real history. Playing both sides if you will. Nobody is disagreeing that white people will demonize black people, today, yesterday/etc. But here is where you slipping, this is where you got caught lacking :francis:

You mentioned how rap music is viewed in the same negative light that jazz is/was. Who viewed it as that my good man, who? [Bluest eye does] Do you demonize hip-hop images? No, because that would be cac mentality. So why apply cac mentality to 1930's jazz?

Not enough? Then you said this...
I'm fine with the game as it is. I just think they could have talked about the racist history more as a way to educate the fans and respect the history
So if they went for a 90's hip-hop angle instead of a 30's big band era look, would they need to explain how Rodney king took a beat down, or how white people still demonize black people? OF COURSE NOT. Same logic applies to Cuphead :ufdup:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
try to have a serious conversation on the coli brehs :snoop:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You kinda dancing between white history and real history. Playing both sides if you will. Nobody is disagreeing that white people will demonize black people, today, yesterday/etc. But here is where you slipping, this is where you got caught lacking :francis:

You mentioned how rap music is viewed in the same negative light that jazz is/was. Who viewed it as that my good man, who? [Bluest eye does] Do you demonize hip-hop images? No, because that would be cac mentality. So why apply cac mentality to 1930's jazz?
30s animation IS "white history" it was media created by and for white folks. When black people were involved it was only to appropriate our art and demonize our lives.

That's the history of the art style used in the game.

Not enough? Then you said this...

So if they went for a 90's hip-hop angle instead of a 30's big band era look, would they need to explain how Rodney king took a beat down, or how white people still demonize black people? OF COURSE NOT. Same logic applies to Cuphead :ufdup:
False equivalence. For one the 90s isn't considered distant history just yet. We all know who Rodney king is and we are still living the police brutality that surrounds his story.

But if a dev was to make a game set in 90s LA, they should damn well touch on how racism created the conditions for the drug/gangs/violence epidemic that was going on at the time.