Cumberland, MD Is Offering Up To $20K To Move There

Ray D’Angelo Harris

Silky smooth
Daps
Reppin
#dogset

It’s sandwiched between the Pa./WV borders.

QFhJn17.jpeg

As of September 2019, the African American population of Cumberland, Maryland was 6%. According to Data USA, the non-Hispanic Black or African American population in Cumberland is 4.26%. The city's five largest ethnic groups are: White (Non-Hispanic) (87.1%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (5.29%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (4.26%), White (Hispanic) (1.29%), and Asian (Non-Hispanic) (0.835%).

Cumberland offers relocation incentive program​

Teresa Mcminn
tmcminn@times-news.com
Aug 24, 2024

City relocation incentive

CUMBERLAND — A new pilot program is designed to entice new residents to the city.
The Choose Cumberland Relocation Package Program offers $10,000 to folks who move to Cumberland.
An additional $10,000 “dollar for dollar match” will be allocated for approved renovations to an existing home or for a downpayment on a newly constructed house within city limits
, said to Ruth Davis-Rogers, Cumberland’s historic preservation planner.

“This is a great opportunity if you, or someone you know, is at least 18 years old, eligible to work in the United States, relocating to live in the City of Cumberland from outside of Allegany County, have full-time remote employment, existing local employment or accepting a new job in the area and do not currently have a home under contract with a realtor, and can move to Cumberland within six months of your application being approved,” she said via press release.

Under the program, applicants must purchase a house and live in it as their primary residence for at least five years or the funding must be paid back to the city.
City officials applied for the money from the state to create and implement the program last year.

The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development on March 11 notified Cumberland officials of funding for the program, Davis-Rogers said. The mayor and City Council accepted the award money on March 19 at a public meeting.

“However, the official legal paperwork had not been created yet,” she said. “Because of this we couldn’t take applications.”​

The city won’t get the state money until the program has been implemented and “each applicant is vetted and approved,” Davis-Rogers said.

Applications will be accepted on a “first come, first served basis” and acceptance is not guaranteed, Davis-Rogers said.

“This is a limited pilot program to see if it works and we will only be accepting 10 new residents,” she said. “If successful, there is a possibility the state will award more funding at a later date.”

For more information and instructions on how to apply, visit Choose Cumberland Relocation Program | Cumberland, MD, call Davis-Rogers at 301-759-6431, or email ruth.davis-rogers@cumberlandmd.gov.

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
I’ve clocked a lot of hours in that area doing trainings at the call center in Frostburg. Honestly didn’t get much :mjpls: energy but I was a manager visiting a site so folks knew to be on their best behavior but the all around vibe was flat out depressing. And a lot of the mountain folk there were weirdly shaped in a similar way which to me means they were likely inbred AF. Anybody of any race who moves there has to be down ultra bad.

Ray D’Angelo Harris

Silky smooth
Daps
Reppin
#dogset
I’ve clocked a lot of hours in that area doing trainings at the call center in Frostburg. Honestly didn’t get much :mjpls: energy but I was a manager visiting a site so folks knew to be on their best behavior but the all around vibe was flat out depressing. And a lot of the mountain folk there were weirdly shaped in a similar way which to me means they were likely inbred AF. Anybody of any race who moves there has to be down ultra bad.

If I was someone strongly considering this Cumberland offer, none of the things you listed would be much of a deterrent :manny:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I went to school out there for a bit. Very beautiful in fall and winter but it’s hella hillbillies. With that said, houses are dumb cheap. I always said that if I were governor of Maryland that I’d build a Europe/Japan style hi-speed rail for the state and develop the parts of the state outside of the I-95 corridor. Cumberland could actually be lit with the right resources but right now it’s like a mini-white trash version of Baltimore with the addicts.

Edit: I forgot to add that I’d be doing this strictly to make Black people the overwhelming majority in the state. It’s small enough to do it. Turn Eastern Shore into Houstalantavegas, St. Mary’s into a KC/STL hybrid, and Cumberland can be on some Pittsburgh/Denver/NorCal shyt.

Last edited:

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
They lost me at the fact that I would have to stay out there for 5 years.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I couldn't do it. It's about 3 hours from Baltimore or DC

I went to school out there for a bit. Very beautiful in fall and winter but it’s hella hillbillies. With that said, houses are dumb cheap. I always said that if I were governor of Maryland that I’d build a Europe/Japan style hi-speed rail for the state and develop the parts of the state outside of the I-95 corridor. Cumberland could actually be lit with the right resources but right now it’s like a mini-white trash version of Baltimore with the addicts.

A high speed rail to central Maryland would definitely change things for that area

All Knowledge

Speak up...
Daps
Reppin
Belo Horizante
I've been camping with the fam at Rocky Gap State Park the last few years, it's beautiful. :noah:

Cumberland is not too different than most 3rd rate middle american townes/cities, except you gotta deal with bear and rattle snakes :why: