COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Why don’t they post links that explain how they come up with their estimates?:patrice: 100,000 people haven’t even died in China, and the infection rate has already peaked there. China is also more densely populated than the US and less hygienic than the US...

they completely looked Wuhan down when the virus appeared and had mass testing. We went months before we started doing anything and still are barely testing.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why don’t they post links that explain how they come up with their estimates?:patrice: 100,000 people haven’t even died in China, and the infection rate has already peaked there. China is also more densely populated than the US and less hygienic than the US...
China is an authoritarian state that locked down cities on demand

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

china locked down cities
welded doors etc.
created hospitals
tested like crazy

usa is free roam, no free healthcare, piss poor leadership

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
See stuff like this is confusing. Because this site still only has about 5,000 deaths total worldwide so far. Including china, italy, etc...where is he getting this 1 million number from?
Coronavirus Update (Live): 134,748 Cases and 4,983 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
Coronavirus Cases:
view by country
Deaths:
Recovered:

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

the CDC number of cases reported in the US is still at 1,215 since January 21st? Where is the gigantic exponential jump that's supposed to happen? Shouldn't it have already hit? There's a good chance it'll still happen, but seems like what we are seeing isn't matching up with stuff. This shyt is confusing. Are some scientists just trying to get attention?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I'm not a scientist or anything so I don't know what this really means, but it looks like people/countries could start working on a vaccine :lupe: I just want some good news today :mjcry:

The team isolated severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the agent responsible for the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19, believed to have jumped to humans from bats.

“I’d always told my friends, ‘When I grow up, I want to be a guy who gets called in if there’s an outbreak,’” Banerjee said. “What’s happening with the outbreak is sad, but I’m glad I can contribute to the process of understanding this and controlling this outbreak.”

Working at a secure containment facility at the University of Toronto and using samples taken recently from two patients in Canada, the team was able this week to confirm it had isolated and propagated the virus, creating a source of COVID-19 for study as the world races to develop vaccines and treatments, and to build a better understanding of how the virus behaves.

“You can’t validate anything without a virus,” Banerjee said.

Banerjee’s work means McMaster will have samples to study in its own bio-secure facilities.

“This is the reason we have the Institute for Infectious Disease Research and the David Braley Centre for Antibiotic Discovery,” said Karen Mossman, McMaster’s acting vice president, research, who is also Banerjee’s research supervisor. “This whole infrastructure has been built to respond to crises and outbreaks like this. This is where we can drive research forward.”

Mossman said the facilities where McMaster researchers will be working with the virus are highly regulated and secured with multiple layers of protection.

Having the virus enables scientists to start working on solutions before the outbreak peaks in Canada, said Samira Mubareka, a microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook.

“We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic,” she said. “While the immediate response is crucial, longer-term solutions come from essential research into this novel virus.”

“Researchers from these world-class institutions came together in a grassroots way to successfully isolate the virus in just a few short weeks,” said Rob Kozak, a microbiologist at Sunnybrook and the University of Toronto. “It demonstrates the amazing things that can happen when we collaborate.”

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not a scientist or anything so I don't know what this really means, but it looks like people/countries could start working on a vaccine :lupe: I just want some good news today :mjcry:

I feel like I’ve seen posts similar to this like a dozen times already....

It seems they have either found a cure or been close to a cure for over a month. Yet nothing is actually happening.