COVID-19 Pandemic (Coronavirus)

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Runner, 29, with Long COVID Went from Half Marathons to Months in a Wheelchair: 'It Was So Scary'

Runner, 29, with Long COVID Went from Half Marathons to Months in a Wheelchair: 'It Was So Scary'

"I thought I was living a slow progressive death. We had no idea, and neither did the doctors. Nobody could tell me if I was going to get better or not," Catie Barber says
By Wendy Grossman KantorUpdated February 17, 2022 10:35 AM

Catie Barber has been running since she was very young, and started running half-marathons in 2013. The 29-year-old registered dietician cooked nutritious meals, hit the gym for two hours a day, and loved hiking and biking. "Everything I did revolved around being active," she tells PEOPLE.

In March 2020, Barber was working at a nursing home in the Hudson Valley when patients started getting sick. By the end of the month, she and her coworkers started feeling symptomatic — Barber had a headache, felt like she had a cold and was exhausted. She came home from work and went right to sleep, "which is not like me," she says.

She didn't have a cough or a fever, so she didn't think she had COVID. But on April 3, 2020, she tested positive.

"My initial COVID case was very mild," she says. "I just had your standard COVID, you know, the body aches, the fatigue, the headache. Lost sense of taste and smell. Very minimal symptoms."

For more stories about Long COVID, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

After two weeks, she was feeling better and went back to work. But three days later, she was face-down on the couch and felt sicker than before.

She kept trying to return to work and failing. "Every time I would go back, I would just be too tired," she says.

"One of the times I went back, I tried to do a standard tube-feeding procedure and I couldn't remember what to do. I had no idea. And I was like, 'I'm going to kill someone. I can't be doing this.' I had to call my supervisor and say, 'You have to take over. I don't know what I'm doing.' The brain fog was just so bad. So with three failed work attempts, I just kept getting worse and worse."

On the morning of May 4th, she was with her husband Dave Barber at their home in Saugerties, NY, lying on the couch when she told him, "I can't move."

Her husband took her to the emergency room. "It was so scary," Catie says. "I just had tears rolling down my face. I'm like, 'I am going in here to die.' "

The ER doctor was concerned when he called Dave because Catie looked very sick, but he couldn't determine what was wrong.

"You can hear it in his voice he's beside himself," remembers Dave, 32. "He says, 'Something's clearly wrong here. I want to admit her, but I don't have anything to admit her for.' He goes, 'All her blood work came back and it's flawless. It's some of the best blood work I've ever seen.' Which makes sense, because she was training for a half-marathon."

Without a reason to admit Catie, insurance wouldn't cover her stay. Her husband asked the doctor if she was dying, and he said no. She was released and sent back home. Their parents took turns staying with her during the day, while Dave worked.

"I was stuck in the apartment. Because the only way I could leave was if my husband carried me," she says. "It was a very, very depressing time. I cried myself to sleep for months."

Through the Facebook group Survivor Corps, Catie learned about the Mount Sinai Center for Post COVID Care in New York City, but she couldn't get an appointment until September.

"I thought I was living a slow progressive death. We had no idea, and neither did the doctors. Nobody could tell me if I was going to get better or not," she says.

By late August, Catie wasn't able to walk at all and was wheelchair bound.

She had her initial consult at Mount Sinai in early September. "They told us flat out, 'Listen, we don't have all the answers, we're still learning, too, but we know what you're going through. We have hundreds of thousands of people like you,' " Dave remembers.

Doctors suspected Catie's COVID had caused Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), a condition which affects blood flow. The couple felt relieved to have an explanation.

"Up until that point, nobody took us seriously. They thought that it was anxiety," she says.

Catie Barber in the hospital

Two days before her follow-up appointment with a cardiologist at Mount Sinai, Catie woke her husband and told him she thought she was having a heart attack.

She showed him her Apple Watch, which charted her heart rate at 186 beats per minute. She told him goodbye — and said she wanted him to find another woman who could be his wife.

He called 911, and she started violently convulsing — it looked like she was having a seizure, her husband remembers. Her head and feet were slamming so hard against the ground, the next door neighbor called 911 too.

At the hospital, the ER doctor was familiar with long COVID, and made sure she didn't have a heart attack before releasing her so that she could make it to her follow-up appointment in New York.

At Mount Sinai, a cardiologist confirmed her diagnosis of severe POTS and Dysautonomia.

She started a high salt, high liquid diet, compression stockings, physical therapy, and breath work. Her progress was slow, but she was determined.

By January, she could stand again. In March 2021 she was able to stop using her wheelchair, and in April, she went back to work — armed with new empathy and understanding for her wheelchair-bound patients. It was hard working in the same place where she got sick, so in October, she started a new job as a dietician for the New York State's Office for Developmental Disabilities. She's continued improving, little by little, and can now walk a mile.

"I'm a different person now," she says. "I try not to think about, 'Well, I was running 13 miles before this.' I try to think about how far I've come from the worst of the worst of this. That keeps me going."

She shares her story hoping to advocate for the other COVID-19 long-haulers.

"I know that there are thousands, if not millions, of long-haulers struggling around this world," she says. "There is hope. I try to tell people, 'Just keep the hope.' Progress is so, so incredibly slow, but you will get there."

Daps
Even most Dems are done with the masks and such. Their kids wearing masks. Covid testing to do normal shyt. No one wants that stuff mandated. You fukking hermits that aren’t in the real world think that’s enjoyed by half the country? You are the vast minority.

You dumb as hell. Breh, nobody likes this.

Im ready for this to be over, nikka. But I'm smart enough to know it ain't over yet

sayyestothis

Free the guys
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD "The Greatest City In America"

"I thought I was living a slow progressive death. We had no idea, and neither did the doctors. Nobody could tell me if I was going to get better or not," Catie Barber says
By Wendy Grossman KantorUpdated February 17, 2022 10:35 AM

Catie Barber has been running since she was very young, and started running half-marathons in 2013. The 29-year-old registered dietician cooked nutritious meals, hit the gym for two hours a day, and loved hiking and biking. "Everything I did revolved around being active," she tells PEOPLE.

In March 2020, Barber was working at a nursing home in the Hudson Valley when patients started getting sick. By the end of the month, she and her coworkers started feeling symptomatic — Barber had a headache, felt like she had a cold and was exhausted. She came home from work and went right to sleep, "which is not like me," she says.

She didn't have a cough or a fever, so she didn't think she had COVID. But on April 3, 2020, she tested positive.

"My initial COVID case was very mild," she says. "I just had your standard COVID, you know, the body aches, the fatigue, the headache. Lost sense of taste and smell. Very minimal symptoms."

For more stories about Long COVID, pick up this week's issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday

After two weeks, she was feeling better and went back to work. But three days later, she was face-down on the couch and felt sicker than before.

She kept trying to return to work and failing. "Every time I would go back, I would just be too tired," she says.

"One of the times I went back, I tried to do a standard tube-feeding procedure and I couldn't remember what to do. I had no idea. And I was like, 'I'm going to kill someone. I can't be doing this.' I had to call my supervisor and say, 'You have to take over. I don't know what I'm doing.' The brain fog was just so bad. So with three failed work attempts, I just kept getting worse and worse."

On the morning of May 4th, she was with her husband Dave Barber at their home in Saugerties, NY, lying on the couch when she told him, "I can't move."

Her husband took her to the emergency room. "It was so scary," Catie says. "I just had tears rolling down my face. I'm like, 'I am going in here to die.' "

The ER doctor was concerned when he called Dave because Catie looked very sick, but he couldn't determine what was wrong.

"You can hear it in his voice he's beside himself," remembers Dave, 32. "He says, 'Something's clearly wrong here. I want to admit her, but I don't have anything to admit her for.' He goes, 'All her blood work came back and it's flawless. It's some of the best blood work I've ever seen.' Which makes sense, because she was training for a half-marathon."

Without a reason to admit Catie, insurance wouldn't cover her stay. Her husband asked the doctor if she was dying, and he said no. She was released and sent back home. Their parents took turns staying with her during the day, while Dave worked.

"I was stuck in the apartment. Because the only way I could leave was if my husband carried me," she says. "It was a very, very depressing time. I cried myself to sleep for months."

Through the Facebook group Survivor Corps, Catie learned about the Mount Sinai Center for Post COVID Care in New York City, but she couldn't get an appointment until September.

"I thought I was living a slow progressive death. We had no idea, and neither did the doctors. Nobody could tell me if I was going to get better or not," she says.

By late August, Catie wasn't able to walk at all and was wheelchair bound.

She had her initial consult at Mount Sinai in early September. "They told us flat out, 'Listen, we don't have all the answers, we're still learning, too, but we know what you're going through. We have hundreds of thousands of people like you,' " Dave remembers.

Doctors suspected Catie's COVID had caused Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), a condition which affects blood flow. The couple felt relieved to have an explanation.

"Up until that point, nobody took us seriously. They thought that it was anxiety," she says.

Catie Barber in the hospital

Two days before her follow-up appointment with a cardiologist at Mount Sinai, Catie woke her husband and told him she thought she was having a heart attack.

She showed him her Apple Watch, which charted her heart rate at 186 beats per minute. She told him goodbye — and said she wanted him to find another woman who could be his wife.

He called 911, and she started violently convulsing — it looked like she was having a seizure, her husband remembers. Her head and feet were slamming so hard against the ground, the next door neighbor called 911 too.

At the hospital, the ER doctor was familiar with long COVID, and made sure she didn't have a heart attack before releasing her so that she could make it to her follow-up appointment in New York.

At Mount Sinai, a cardiologist confirmed her diagnosis of severe POTS and Dysautonomia.

She started a high salt, high liquid diet, compression stockings, physical therapy, and breath work. Her progress was slow, but she was determined.

By January, she could stand again. In March 2021 she was able to stop using her wheelchair, and in April, she went back to work — armed with new empathy and understanding for her wheelchair-bound patients. It was hard working in the same place where she got sick, so in October, she started a new job as a dietician for the New York State's Office for Developmental Disabilities. She's continued improving, little by little, and can now walk a mile.

"I'm a different person now," she says. "I try not to think about, 'Well, I was running 13 miles before this.' I try to think about how far I've come from the worst of the worst of this. That keeps me going."

She shares her story hoping to advocate for the other COVID-19 long-haulers.

"I know that there are thousands, if not millions, of long-haulers struggling around this world," she says. "There is hope. I try to tell people, 'Just keep the hope.' Progress is so, so incredibly slow, but you will get there."

Breh this the early cases...2020...

Not relevant today. Feel bad for her of course and it's unfortunate but it's fear mongering at this point in 2022. Cases today aren't coming with the baggage as they did in the past couple years. shyt isn't apples apples....

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Breh this the early cases...2020...

Not relevant today. Feel bad for her of course and it's unfortunate but it's fear mongering at this point in 2022. Cases today aren't coming with the baggage as they did in the past couple years. shyt isn't apples apples....

Thats the point!

these people are still suffering almost two years later.

not sure what baggage you're referring to that people aren't currently experiencing..:patrice:

snippet:

sayyestothis

Free the guys
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD "The Greatest City In America"
Thats the point!

not sure what baggage you're referring to that people aren't currently experiencing..:patrice:

snippet:

All those u posted are referring to thr expectation of it. We don't know yet and that's just an opinion and a one sided view until we have data. I'm just looking at it logically and am hopeful I'm right. I'd be glad to take the L and be proven wrong with more depressing ass news u post in a year when we have factual data backing it up instead of opinions.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
All those u posted are referring to thr expectation of it. We don't know yet and that's just an opinion and a one sided view until we have data. I'm just looking at it logically and am hopeful I'm right. I'd be glad to take the L and be proven wrong with more depressing ass news u post in a year when we have factual data backing it up instead of opinions.

don't need to wait a year., long covid is described as symptoms persisting after 12 weeks. we'll likely see more studies in june.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/long-covid-study-sask-1.6348331

Long COVID changed his life. Now he's part of a study looking at the scope of the problem in Sask.
Social Sharing

Tens of thousands of people in Saskatchewan could have long COVID.
Alexander Quon · CBC News · Posted: Feb 14, 2022 4:00 AM CT | Last Updated: February 14

jarrid-linder-icu.jpeg

A photo of Jarrid Linder during his time at the Regina General Hospital. As part of his care he was put into a medically induced coma. (Submitted by Jared Linder)
Jarrid Linder still has the scar across his neck from when health-care workers had to intubate him as he was placed into a medically-induced coma to deal with COVID-19.

It's been nearly a year since the 32-year-old was first diagnosed in March 2021.

He survived, but his life has been changed.

Linder had to relearn how to walk after 40 days in the medically induced coma. He had to sell his home and move in with his parents so they could take care of him. He hasn't worked since he had COVID-19 and now must rely on disability payments.

"I used to take one pill before all this started, it was just for acid reflux, and now I take 22 pills a day," he told CBC News in a recent interview.

jarrid-linder.jpeg

Jarrid Linder of Regina still feels the effects of long COVID even months after his initial experience ended. (Submitted by Jarrid Linder)
Linder is one of the many people who continue to suffer prolonged symptoms caused by the virus, a nebulous condition known as long COVID.

For Linder, long COVID means chronic fatigue, head aches, dizziness and heart problems.

"It's been hell," he said.

New study looks to find answers
There are still many questions about long COVID, and very few answers about how it should be treated and how long it will last.

A team of experts in Saskatchewan are hoping to start providing those answers.

Researchers with the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) at the University of Saskatchewan have launched a new study they hope will give policy makers a picture of what long COVID looks like in the province.

Researchers have continued to study the virus over the course of the pandemic.

Alyson Kelvin, a virologist at the VIDO, is one of them. She's also one of the lead researchers on the long COVID study.

"Because this is a really new disease and we don't know much about it, we also don't have the services in place to support people with the care that they need to help them recover. " she said.

alyson-kelvin.jpg

Alyson Kelvin works at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, or VIDO, located at the University of Saskatchewan ( David Stobbe/VIDO/University of Saskatchewan)
The study, called Sask Long COVID, is meant to address that lack of data and knowledge. A survey is being conducted through an app, allowing people to answer questions about what their symptoms are and how they're feeling.

The app will then follow up once a month for a year, so researchers and participants can track how long COVID develops.

Kelvin said the team is looking for people who fall into three categories: those who have long COVID, those who had COVID-19 but never developed long COVID, and those who never caught the virus.

Researchers want at least 500 people that fall into each category.

Tens of thousands of patients could be in Saskatchewan
It's not clear how many people suffer from long COVID. Research has projected anywhere from 30 per cent to 70 per cent of those who get COVID-19 develop long COVID symptoms.

If those projections are accurate, a minimum of 36,000 people would have some form of long COVID in Saskatchewan, where more than 120,000 people are confirmed to have caught the virus.

"I think the more people who respond to the app, the better idea we'll have to put services in place and really attack this disease and help people live through it."

This will be the first study looking at COVID-19 at this scale in Saskatchewan.

Matthew Cardinal is another person who spent time in the ICU as a result of COVID-19 and who continues to deal with long COVID.

He struggles with memory fog and fatigue.

"I never thought this would be affecting me almost a year later," Cardinal said.

Kelvin said that long COVID can affect anyone, not just those wound up in the ICU. Even those who had mild cases or were asymptomatic can develop long COVID.

Although women and the elderly are more susceptible, children can develop long COVID as well, Kelvin said.

"It's going to put further strain on our health-care system and it can block people from getting back to their normal lives, which we all want as we try to leave this pandemic," she said.

Cardinal and Linder have both signed up for the study.

Linder said it made sense to contribute.

He said his recovery time at Wascana Rehab was a learning experience for everyone.

"They're doing their best to do what they can do and with what they know, but it's just COVID is something very different than anybody has ever seen," Linder said.

He hopes his contribution can make a difference.

"Even if it helps one other person. It's definitely worth it," he said.

Theo Penn

on that Earl Stevens wine
Daps
Thats the point!

Yep. Long COVID is going to wreck so many folks unfortunately. I have friend currently going through this. She got COVID around Christmas. She’s now dealing with chronic fatigue and painful headaches, none of which she experienced previously. Symptoms are consistent with the ME/CFS symptoms people have been getting

Long COVID treatment, use of rehabilitation facilities, and the need for psychiatric and psychological treatment has grown exponentially during this pandemic