Could someone explain for me of why all-but-married couples use 'partner' sometimes now

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I guess I could look this up on Reddit but every question there is answered by "it's obviously logical, why not accept it!" so maybe I can get a Black opinion here

European brehs/brehettes may have the most insight?

When I grew up in the 90s/00s someone calling their SO "partner" almost always meant a same sex partner. It wasn't until I traveled to Europe on business some years later did I see 'partner' being used more, mostly by young cohabitating couples, sometimes with kids. I didn't think much of it then and didn't really see it in the US.

In recent years I have seen it more often, first with young liberal Whites and now with some Black people. It is interesting since the Black people I see using it seem to be basically married but call themselves 'partner' and the woman almost never takes the man's last name---not even hyphenated. They could be living in the same home for years and raising kids together but don't seem to formalize. Granted, the majority of Black folks I have met, especially women, that do this have non-Black partners so maybe that is a cultural influence? Black couples living together non-married seem to typically say 'fiance/fiancee' on the 'the marriage is next year sometime' front.

Is this an equality thing? Or a "government shouldn't sanctify relationships" thing (as if common law marriage hasn't existed forever). I can understand cohabitation but I don't understand why they would live a whole married life without saying husband or wife. I personally couldn't rock like this but not my life :yeshrug:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I think everyone has their own personal reasons for using a particular word to describe their relationship to someone. So, since not all reasons are universal, you’d have to examine each relationship.

But, one thing I found is that the softer the term you’re using, it seems like the more flexible some relationships can get. But, that’s not fact, just something I’ve noticed. Just the same, how someone might call a woman their “wife” but still have relations with other women. You’d think according to the terminology, the hardness of their relationship would denote no place for anyone else.

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Because they're trying to make the term boyfriend and/or girlfriend socially unacceptable
To be fair, I always found it strange as a youngster someone in their 40s talking about boyfriend and girlfriend. (to OP) I ain't calling no black woman fiance if we not actually engaged....those are problems you don't want.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
I guess I could look this up on Reddit but every question there is answered by "it's obviously logical, why not accept it!" so maybe I can get a Black opinion here

European brehs/brehettes may have the most insight?

When I grew up in the 90s/00s someone calling their SO "partner" almost always meant a same sex partner. It wasn't until I traveled to Europe on business some years later did I see 'partner' being used more, mostly by young cohabitating couples, sometimes with kids. I didn't think much of it then and didn't really see it in the US.

In recent years I have seen it more often, first with young liberal Whites and now with some Black people. It is interesting since the Black people I see using it seem to be basically married but call themselves 'partner' and the woman almost never takes the man's last name---not even hyphenated. They could be living in the same home for years and raising kids together but don't seem to formalize. Granted, the majority of Black folks I have met, especially women, that do this have non-Black partners so maybe that is a cultural influence? Black couples living together non-married seem to typically say 'fiance/fiancee' on the 'the marriage is next year sometime' front.

Is this an equality thing? Or a "government shouldn't sanctify relationships" thing (as if common law marriage hasn't existed forever). I can understand cohabitation but I don't understand why they would live a whole married life without saying husband or wife. I personally couldn't rock like this but not my life :yeshrug:

Still same sex using it, the men have lost their balls..

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Because they're trying to make the term boyfriend and/or girlfriend socially unacceptable
I get it for those kinda of things with people basically shacking up and wanting to seem more formal short of marriage.

The thing that surprised me is folks living together for many, many years and having kids they raise together and still using 'partner'. I've even heard of flexibility with kid surnames---like the kids taking the woman's surname in some of these couples.

It just seems odd to have that level of commitment and not want to be married, even if it is common law or a civil ceremony. I was just wondering the logic.

Ray D’Angelo Harris

Silky smooth
Daps
Reppin
#dogset
Stop potna-watchin, potna!

9aae209208fb7b0c8d73323d3f2354d3.gif

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be fair, I always found it strange as a youngster someone in their 40s talking about boyfriend and girlfriend. (to OP) I ain't calling no black woman fiance if we not actually engaged....those are problems you don't want.
Seriously breh. How silly does a grown ass man or woman sound talkin bout my "boy/girlfriend"? :pachaha:

Its a way of denoting commitment without actually making a commitment that doesn't sound like you are 16.

Apprentice

RIP Doughboy Roc
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Seriously breh. How silly does a grown ass man or woman sound talkin bout my "boy/girlfriend"? :pachaha:

Its a way of denoting commitment without actually making a commitment that doesn't sound like you are 16.
It don’t sound silly, society just be pressuring older folks to get married

What sounds sillier is grown people referring to their significant other as “my nikka” or “my bytch”