Confessions of a Code-Switcher: 'Talking White' as an Accent

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've only heard white people tell me I talk white. Many aren't used to educated brothers and sisters on the daily because they hardly interact with blacks. I haven't heard it in years though.

I may use more slang around certain blacks because I'm from the south and that's what I'm used to but I went to private school fukk people who say I'm talking white :pacspit:

My mom does it a little though but I don't think she does it on purpose. Her boss is Muslim and she works with a lot of people from Israel and they treat her well :leon:

I think we all judge people and how they sound and it transcends race.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We have to speak different or we won't get jobs. Cause you know our grandparents bullshytted during the civil rights time and didn't continue to build black businesses. I don't use slang around cac bosses. But I ain't gonna talk in that typical cac voice. Naw you gonna hear my normal voice. Ain't taking the bass out my voice for no man.
There's something subconscious about how we use tone in our language to imply intent as well as submissiveness and dominance.

I think you're onto something. I have a really deep voice and can naturally control a conversation if need be.
But yea all my bosses know I don't kiss ass

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Naw, I speak the same wherever I go. I had a dude tell me that I speak like White boy before. It's just how my voice is.