Confessions of a Code-Switcher: 'Talking White' as an Accent

Miss Lucifer's Love

she's the devil and i like it
Daps
:leostare:Wait, so is the writer saying we shouldn't code switch because it's conforming to white standards or that we should refer to the way we talk when we code switch to something else instead of "proper" or whatever?

If the former is the case, then why didn't the writer compose this piece in "our" vernacular? Why did he/she conform to "white" grammar?:comeon:

All races and cultures code switch when out and about in society, it's not just us. No one talks the same way at a job interview and at home. I'm sure Luo speakers have "proper" grammar they use in public and vernacular they use at home and it has nothing to do with being brainwashed to hate their mother tongue by whites.:heh:

PlayboyX

What's good, b?
Daps
Reppin
Northwood, Liberty City
Speaking properly isn't "speaking white".

If a person is using words like "totally dude,like(excessively)radical" then they're trying to sound like a ditzy surfer dude or a dumb valley chick.

If they speak like "nomsayian,aiight" etc.. then they're tying to sound hood.

It has nothing to do with race but everything to do with your environment.

TRY GOD

BOTH SIDES.
Daps
Reppin
GOD
:francis:People of any race who mention how another person talks, are usually idiots. When I was a kid I used to get that "I talk white" shyt. As I grew older, I learned that most people are just dumb, and it's not just because of the way they enunciate words.

:comeon:No I don't "talk white," In Pennsylvania and the northeast period, people talk Properly.
:aicmon:Am I really well spoken, :skip:or are you just a southern Idiot (I'm in the south)

:ld:HOWEVER, now that I'm older, and I understand how language works, especially a b*stardize, full of trickery language like English; I am More cautious of the words I use and the way I say it.

There is power in the words. Use them wisely:sas2:

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
How many of you "switch up" when you get around these devils and then "switch back" when you around Black folks? :mjpls:
Thats a double consciousness.....

GsszxPv.jpg

Dreadknox77

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate that term "proper English". English clearly wasn't black peoples Native tongue, so what the fukk I give about speaking it "properly".

Daps
I don't think I "switch" as much as I just clean up my words, conjugate my verbs, not mumble, try not to sound country. I'm from the south so it's hard. Sometimes I listen to my cousins from Chicago and their voices are so polished. I couldn't sound like that if I tried. There's even some words that I just can't say. Like I have to practice the word in order to say it correctly

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We have to speak different or we won't get jobs. Cause you know our grandparents bullshytted during the civil rights time and didn't continue to build black businesses. I don't use slang around cac bosses. But I ain't gonna talk in that typical cac voice. Naw you gonna hear my normal voice. Ain't taking the bass out my voice for no man.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Speaking properly isn't "speaking white".

If a person is using words like "totally dude,like(excessively)radical" then they're trying to sound like a ditzy surfer dude or a dumb valley chick.

If they speak like "nomsayian,aiight" etc.. then they're tying to sound hood.

It has nothing to do with race but everything to do with your environment.
What if you grew up black in Irvine, CA or Woodland Hills which is "the valley" by definition? Wouldn't you have to make a concerted effort to sound "stereotypically black"? The truth is people sound like a combination of friends, family and a little something extra. People shouldn't have to make an effort to understand you.