Confessions of a Code-Switcher: 'Talking White' as an Accent

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
How many of you "switch up" when you get around these devils and then "switch back" when you around Black folks? :mjpls:

Speaking "proper" English or the "Kings English" as the racists love to spit towards black folks, is this a sign of being "Educated" or an "Educated Fool"......

I spoke on this in another thread concerning the word they have coined "Ebonics" which is nothing but our people NATURALLY clinging to our native TONGUE, but new age c00ns are oblivious to this.........:sas2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joshu...accent_b_7288956.html?utm_hp_ref=black-voices

Growing up, my Black friends said I talked "white" and my non-Black friends said I talked "ghetto." When I'm with non-Black friends, in the classroom, or at a job interview, I automatically turn on the "taking white" switch. When I'm with my Black friends, I reset back to my normal south-side Chicago diasporic slur. Pretty soon, I was both the accuser and the accused in the racial speech witch trials. But as I grew older, intellectual maturation and social awareness showed me the role language playsin our society, how it helps us, and how it hurts us. I learned that assuming everyone from a certain race does or should talk the same way is problematic. But, I quite often found rebuttals to this generalization are even more problematic than the accusation. Here's why:

1. Using the phrase "Talking (insert Race here)" is problematic.

One of our double-edged swords as humans is we tend to like to generalize and associate. It requires less thinking and simplifies our understanding of the world around us. And yes, many people from the same race, class or geographic location tend to speak similarly. But saying someone talks black, white, brown, red or purple is problematic. While we may speak similarly as another from the same culture, a racially monolithic way of talking is simply not possible. We deserve to give each other room for cultural background and experience, and should not force each other to conform into our conceptions of their group.

Languages and accents aren't stagnant either. For example, English was heavily influenced by German and French. The regional American accents we speak English with were created as colonists came in contact with the Spanish, French, Native Americans and Africans from the African Diaspora. "Where you at?" is a long ways from "where art thou?" The amount of dialects, accents, pidgins, slang, colloquialisms, etc. there are in the English language alone is staggering. Speech changes over time and space.

2. But when people use words like "educated" and "proper" to describe speech or as a rebuttal against "talking white," it can be even more problematic than the accusation.

As frustrating as it is to be accused for talking a race, our responses can be just as, or even more, problematic. Whenever I hear my Black peers assert that they talk "proper," not "white," it makes me cringe. I assume their intention is to rebel against a one-size-fits-all "Blackness," to assert that speaking "properly" has nothing to do with race, and that they are enunciating sentences with proper syntax (.i.e. saying "I watch cartoons each weekend," instead of "I be watchin' cartoons eh' weekend").

But whether it's an accusation or a rebuttal, describing speech in "proper" terms subtly plays to the idea that "talking Black" equates to being inarticulate. The policing of Black speech is historically an extension of oppression, and one of the many tools that helped racism and classism reify each other.

Let me give you an example: A Black boy born and raised in Englewood, Chicago lives and interacts with only Black people (since Chicago is so segregated), all of whom speak the same way. When he sees another Black kid speak "properly", he may assume they "talk white," because he has only one reference to "Blackness." He's making the (problematic) observation that the other kid speaks with what he thinks is a "white accent" (intonation, inflection, hard consonants, types of slang, fully pronouncing words with -ing, etc.) It's an ignorant (in the denotation of the word) generalization, but his problem is that he thinks Blackness is statically one thing. But if you or I assume what he is implying or really means is, "You don't speak inarticulately like I do, so you're not Black," that's much more problematic. And it reveals way more about us than it does about him.

Why do we use the term "proper English" in America? Imagine a woman from London visiting a classroom in America, and witnessing a teacher chastising a student for saying"lid-duh-ruhlee" instead of "literally." As someone who speaks the language in the place it was created and has probably pronounced it "lih-truh-lee" their whole life, would she understand why the child was criticized? But as Americans, we use "proper" when we almost always mean "standard." And that's where the issue lies. Who sets the standard? Who is conforming to it and why? How is it negotiated over time? And is that Black boy from Englewood at the negotiation table?

3. Speaking "clearly" or "proper" is subjective.

Speaking "clearly" to you or me may sound confusing to another. If you visit Paris and speak French, they may not be able to comprehend you, because you are saying French words, but enunciating them how French people do. In that moment, you are speaking "clearly," but to them, you sound funny. Bringing it back to America's regional accents, the same applies. In my opinion, the twangy Southwestern accent is unbearable. But if I was born and raised in the heart of Texas, I highly doubt I would believe that. How Texans talk is "not normal" to the rest of America, but I surmise no one equates twang to stupidity.

In the summer of 2014, I lived in Cape Town, South Africa. People there often responded with "Huh?" when I spoke, scrunching up their face in a confused manner. In my opinion, I was enunciating my words very clearly, but some couldn't understand what I was saying. It was a tad bit annoying, but my annoyance was very "American," because we typically don't see ourselves as having an accent. We forget or remain oblivious to the fact that how we generally speak English is not how English is generally spoken anywhere else on the globe. And what may be even more difficult to conceptualize for many of us is that white Americans have an accent too. I visited Indonesia for Spring Break, and our guide curiously asked me, "Why don't Black people talk like other Americans?" When I asked him to clarify, he responded, "I mean, why don't they talk like white Americans?"

So although we approach speaking "properly" or "clearly" as a universal concept, we have to be aware of its parameters. Normalizing the way we speak is not the same thing as the way we speak being normal. One is a social construction created and policed by the majority, the other is a passive-aggressive myth.

Again, it is very problematic to imply that everyone from a specific race talks the same. I'm certainly not trying to dismiss that. But if you are a non-white person accused of "talking white," don't automatically assume they are saying you speak intelligently. They might only be saying you pronounce words the way white people do. Both are bad generalizations, the former is arguably much worse. And if you are a white person who sees the way you talk as objectively proper or normal, you may be unknowingly othering minorities, and perpetuating the political role of language by arguing for an artificial standard that serves the goal of conformity. :sas2:

ralph lauren

Banned
Daps
I dont know if this make sense.. But i love reading articles and books when its written beautifully

But speaking proper english is wack., its such a hard rigorous language with a bunch of nonsense desgised as grammer

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
I speak proper English but I never sound like a cac.

I feel that I speak perfectly

To me, talking white only means taking the bass out of your voice and talking nasally.

But I've been around grown black folks, pushing 50, 60, 70+ and they talk proper (whatever that means). This is a sad state of affairs, when we actually have to label "talking proper."

I know a little of the "current" slang, but my sister knows none. She even says she doesn't understand half of what the young kids in our family are saying.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
My accent changed quite a bit due to being in a new environment, it became a bit more refined I'd say - not "white" at all. Because I'm a black woman, it's pretty much impossible for me to sound white. When I'm in academic circles/functions, I do refine my words a bit more, but when I'm around family or friends I'm just not worried about uttering curse words and shyt.

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
My accent changed quite a bit due to being in a new environment, it became a bit more refined I'd say - not "white" at all. Because I'm a black woman, it's pretty much impossible for me to sound white. When I'm in academic circles/functions, I do refine my words a bit more, but when I'm around family or friends I'm just not worried about uttering curse words and shyt.

I think the brother that wrote the article is trying to make the point that, are we "refining" as you say, our tone of voice/way we say words due to "social" pressure to "conform" to what makes White people comfortable.

See what a lot of folks don't understand, is that white people and their insecurity and engrained fear of anything non white, makes their action, and one part of their action is to coin you being yourself, as you say you are around family and friends as somehow less than or socially inept, yet whites can and will act "theirselves" whether they're in academia/job/social circles or in their homes.......

The question begs to our people, are you "conforming" for their sake or your own.............? :mjpls:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
I think the brother that wrote the article is trying to make the point that, are we "refining" as you say, our tone of voice/way we say words due to "social" pressure to "conform" to what makes White people comfortable.

See what a lot of folks don't understand, is that white people and their insecurity and engrained fear of anything non white, makes their action, and one part of their action is to coin you being yourself, as you say you are around family and friends as somehow less than or socially inept, yet whites can and will act "theirselves" whether they're in academia/job/social circles or in their homes.......

The question begs to our people, are you "conforming" for their sake or your own.............? :mjpls:

That's my mom's fault really and I was very resentful of her essentially forcing me out of comfort zone to go to a majority white school to do better in life. I just started to develop a new accent, while trying to maintain my own. My own family members noticed. It's definitely a sense of conforming because speaking in ebonics/AAVE is considered less than. I feel like it's also it's own language as well.

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
That's my mom's fault really and I was very resentful of her essentially forcing me out of comfort zone to go to a majority white school to do better in life. I just started to develop a new accent, while trying to maintain my own. My own family members noticed. It's definitely a sense of conforming because speaking in ebonics/AAVE is considered less than. I feel like it's also it's own language as well.

:ehh: I mean its nothing wrong with it as a survivable means to operate and function in a colonized and powerless state....its like on the slave plantatations, there were many that "faked" the funk so to say, and would use their savvy and/or articulation to destroy the cac...:mjpls:....so if you have to "conform" to function in a powerless state, my thing is to make sure you don't let it become YOU and a REAL "conform".....a lot of bougies/c00ns actually WANT to and LOVE to conform, because they have an engrained mentality of being a slave regardless of a situation, so they don't even need to be around "all whites" or an all white school to "conform" if you know what I mean.......Be like Queen Nzhinga, who led the Black Dahomey, she would actually invite the crackas in and do business with them,laugh with them...... then slaughter them......thats how I operate now.......:lolbron::mjpls:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:ehh: I mean its nothing wrong with it as a survivable means to operate and function in a colonized and powerless state....its like on the slave plantatations, there were many that "faked" the funk so to say, and would use their savvy and/or articulation to destroy the cac...:mjpls:....so if you have to "conform" to function in a powerless state, my thing is to make sure you don't let it become YOU and a REAL "conform".....a lot of bougies/c00ns actually WANT to and LOVE to conform, because they have an engrained mentality of being a slave regardless of a situation, so they don't even need to be around "all whites" or an all white school to "conform" if you know what I mean.......Be like Queen Nzhinga, who led the Black Dahomey, she would actually invite the crackas in and do business with them,laugh with them...... then slaughter them......thats how I operate now.......:lolbron::mjpls:

But @Geoffrey_Chaucer say I sound like a preppy white school girl. :mjcry:

I don't deal with white people if I can help it. :ufdup: They stab me before I get the chance to stab them.

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
But @Geoffrey_Chaucer say I sound like a preppy white school girl. :mjcry:

I don't deal with white people if I can help it. :ufdup:They stab me before I get the chance to stab them.

:mjpls: You need to reverse that and you'd be one powerful, yet silent revolutionary........and your voice sweet to me, sound like a black woman to me, when I heard it, a tinge of "prep" yea, but again....its all about what I said in my previous post and above........believe me, I know folk that do just that.........:sas2:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
:mjpls: You need to reverse that and you'd be one powerful, yet silent revolutionary........and your voice sweet to me, sound like a black woman to me, when I heard it, a tinge of "prep" yea, but again....its all about what I said in my previous post and above........believe me, I know folk that do just that.........:sas2:

I get creeped out by them to be honest. I don't really like to associate with them. I ain't got the balls. :mjcry:

Medicate

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I get creeped out by them to be honest. I don't really like to associate with them. I ain't got the balls. :mjcry:

I feel you, as it should be, they're genetic defects, however its ways to crush them tbh, their system has so many holes in it and they are truly a dumb race, but that's a whole other story. They use scare tactics, intimidation,violence and their slight hold of power on our folks minds to maintain an edge.