Complex: The making of It Was Written

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
the only thing i raised an eyebrow at in that article is the part where they said jay ghosted foxy's commercial joints but she wrote all her verses for the firm collabos..that doesnt add up:rudy:...foxy was spitting high caliber shyt...i dont believe for a sec az, nas, or nature didnt write them for her

x2y

SOHH Stupid
Supporter
Daps
Good read I love these types of articles, but I feel they could of got more out of them.

Young Bishop

Piff Poster
Daps
Reppin
Broward County
I never knew Stretch from Thug Life (2pac's group) and Live Squad produced "Take it in Blood" and "Silent Murder" that's cray.

I also didn't know Nas was with him the day he got killed....

shyt's cray....... Pac dissed the hell outta Stretch on "Holla at me" tho.

:ohhh:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And then people wonder why Pac felt as though Nas was rapping about HIS life. Shock G has stated in interviews that from the moment Pac and Stretch met they pretty much were like brothers and hung out almost every single day until the '94 shooting and now Nas says the same thing about him and Stretch.
Nas pretty much admits here that The Message wasn't just some made up sh*t but about the lives of other people in the game. Can't say that that second verse doesn't match Pac's situation at the time more than anyone else's..

Also:
“[I sang the hook on that and] I was definitely the first guy from my era that was singing."

:childplease:
:pacspit: :ahh: -----> :pachaha: Though you can't really say one guy started it anyway..Like they said, the old school did it long before them.

The influence of Pac on Nas is so obvious and this album was where it really started and it has continued through all his albums after this one. Yet Nas seems to downplay the influence now and when he speaks of Pac it's like he doesn't want to say he looked up to/took a lot from him but that they were always equals in the game while he was alive. But Pac clearly influenced Nas a lot more than Nas did Pac.

Nas is still a legend now though and unquestionably top 5 doa. And this album is a major part of his legacy. Good to see it getting a Making Of. :clap:

No he doesn't. He said he told stories of people that were around him in his hood or whatever.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
im not the type to hate on this album but why are they proppin it up like this?:what:

theres was plenty of better stuff from that year, but the media seems hell-bent on force-feeding the same rappers' legacies over & over.

ROBEEZYKILLA

the coli soulja
Daps
Reppin
dallas,tx
I never knew Stretch from Thug Life (2pac's group) and Live Squad produced "Take it in Blood" and "Silent Murder" that's cray.

I also didn't know Nas was with him the day he got killed....

shyt's cray....... Pac dissed the hell outta Stretch on "Holla at me" tho.

Death

On November 30, 1995, Stretch was killed after being shot twice in the back by three men who pulled up alongside his green minivan at 112th Ave. and 209th St. in Cambria Heights, while he was driving. His minivan smashed into a tree and hit a parked car before flipping over. Stretch was killed exactly one year after 2pac's 1994 Quad Studio shooting, and many people believe that Stretch was killed as a form of retaliation.

HMMMM:blink:

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No he doesn't. He said he told stories of people that were around him in his hood or whatever.

:rudy:

“It was just a real serious point in rap. It was crazy back then; everyone was lyrical, everyone would battle you, everyone had a crew. Crews back then wasn’t only popping bottles, they was popping pistols too. I hadn’t really been shot [like I say in the song] but everyone else around me, so I was their voice.“

Nas pretty much admits here that The Message wasn't just some made up sh*t but about the lives of other people in the game. QUOTE]

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
:rudy:

“It was just a real serious point in rap. It was crazy back then; everyone was lyrical, everyone would battle you, everyone had a crew. Crews back then wasn’t only popping bottles, they was popping pistols too. I hadn’t really been shot [like I say in the song] but everyone else around me, so I was their voice.“

Nas pretty much admits here that The Message wasn't just some made up sh*t but about the lives of other people in the game.

he was talkin bout everyone that was around HIM...alot of the stories in IWW was about people HE KNEW..u took it too literal...

Whitty Hutton

these posters are TRASH
Daps
Reppin
retired
im not the type to hate on this album but why are they proppin it up like this?:what:

theres was plenty of better stuff from that year, but the media seems hell-bent on force-feeding the same rappers' legacies over & over.

Umm because its Nas week, and not other nikkas in 96 week?:aicmon:

And lol @ Prodigy bringing up Nore once again in a discussion he has nothing to do with. And kinda funny how he says Live nikka Rap was for Hell On Earth and Nas begged them for it, but Nas just says he got 2 beats from Hav for the album.

Just think, in 10 years we can get the making of Pink Friday, Take Care, I'm Gay, and other classics from this era :krs:

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
Death

On November 30, 1995, Stretch was killed after being shot twice in the back by three men who pulled up alongside his green minivan at 112th Ave. and 209th St. in Cambria Heights, while he was driving. His minivan smashed into a tree and hit a parked car before flipping over. Stretch was killed exactly one year after 2pac's 1994 Quad Studio shooting, and many people believe that Stretch was killed as a form of retaliation.

HMMMM:blink:

No disrespect to Pac, he's one of my fav but he ain't built like that.

Dude was a big fan of Machiavelli's Prince and would have preferred to humiliate Stretch in the public eye rather than just have him flat out killed. Murdering another black man woulda went against everything his mama and people around him instilled in him coming from a Black Panther/Pro black background n all. He talked it on wax because gangsta rap was popping at the time and you couldn't be on some Common/Talib kweli tip back then but deep down he wasn't built like that

everyone neg this wack thread title making muthafukka