Common "Be" Appreciation thread!

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ: I had that song as a ringtone on my Sprint flip phone(first camera phone I ever had) back in 2005.
i don't use ringtones no more, but it definitely was at some point in my life too.

which was weird for me because most of my ringtones were e-40 songs in the mid 2000s :russ:

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Great album, but I do think it's one of his safest projects. You can argue that he needed to stay in the pocket following Electric Circus... But his sweet spot was One Day It'll All Make Sense/Like Water For Chocolate.... Be was really really safe, content wise. Production was very slick and cohesive between Ye and Dilla.

Worth a respin, maybe my opinion will change.

Side note, I wrote an essay about Common's pops and his rap series from Resurrection through Finding Forever. He's an unsung hero in Common's discography.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
i don't use ringtones no more, but it definitely was at some point in my life too.

which was weird for me because most of my ringtones were e-40 songs in the mid 2000s :russ:

It’s because of that time that I don’t use ringtones anymore. I don’t think I’ve had a ringtone since probably 2007.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great album, but I do think it's one of his safest projects. You can argue that he needed to stay in the pocket following Electric Circus... But his sweet spot was One Day It'll All Make Sense/Like Water For Chocolate.... Be was really really safe, content wise. Production was very slick and cohesive between Ye and Dilla.

Side note, I wrote an essay about Common's pops and his rap series from Resurrection through Finding Forever. He's an unsung hero in Common's discography.

where is this essay at?

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

Agree with everything you said

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
where is this essay at?

I'm gonna dig it up, it's on one of my PCs I'm sure.

Yeah fam, we need that. This is one of my favorite albums and I've never came across that viewpoint, definitely interested in reading it. But on the heels of EC a safer album was probably a necessity. It's the difference between a resurrection (no pun) and just pursuing the acting or being "irrelevant"