Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
bOeVQwV.jpg

It wouldn't be an edition of IFFR if a new Johnnie To movie wasn't there (same goes for Takashi Miike, more on that later this week) so here we are with Three. A robber who was shot in the head during a police action is brought into a hospital, where he refuses surgery even though the bullet in the head will kill him in hours. A female doctor whose position has been compromised as the result of having botched her last couple of surgeries pleas to get him to take the surgery, while a hard boiled cop who doesn't exactly have clean hands himself is more concerned with interrogating him to find out the location of his partners before he dies. This strange combination of a cat & mouse game with hospital melodrama (involving way too seriously shot surgery scenes and technical medical terms) is only made stranger by the addition of tons of silly (slapstick) humor involving bumbling fat cops, confused head trauma patients and whatnot. Meanwhile the movie builds up to the inevitable moment the robber's partners come for him, climaxing in the most ridiculous slow-motion shootout scene you'll probably ever see in your life. The result is pure nonsense with no consistent tone whatsoever, but it's also wildly enjoyable if you shut your brain off at the door.

eyIPDhT.jpg

One of the themes of this year's IFFR is the resurgence of the hard-hitting French cop/crime flick, once a hallmark of 70s film making, and as such there are many screenings of famous French cop flicks from the past 15 years or so. 36 Quai Des Orfèvres (from 2004) falls right into that lane, depicting the rivalry between two policemen (Daniel Auteuil and Gérard Depardieu), both hunting a group of armed robbers as the person who catches them is next in line for a big promotion. Both men play against the rules and use unethical methods, but soon it becomes clear that one of them is far more ruthless than the other and there is more than a promotion at stake. It's a film full of maddening violence and dirty politics, so hard-boiled that it's almost overcooked, and in its rawness overcomes its occasional ridiculousness. Also noteworthy, director Oliver Marchal is a former policeman, and the movie is dedicated to a policeman who died during a police action, which makes you wonder how much of the movie's content might be closer to real life than you think.

Want to see em both. No idea if or when I'll be able to :beli:

JackRoss

Veteran
Daps
Just watched the new Blair Witch movie that things was creepy.. I need another Jeepers Creepers movie... Watched Insidious and The Conjuring :ohhh:... Bates Motel woman and dude are the shyt in paranormal movies... Waiting for that new Collector movie:ohhh:..Conjuring aint Insidious but dude singing that Elvis song in the face on pure evil damn near made me cry:francis:

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Don't know where to post this but from a Hollywood friend of mine who's dad is a big time producer. He didn't tell me details about each movie so don't ask, i don't know. Also these are his own opinions, i put it in spoilers just it case.

- John Wick 2

:ehh: not better than the first though

- GOTG 2

A good movie debating if it's better than the first one tho. Stan Lee's cameo is probably his best and it's hilarious

- Logan

Best X-Men movie so far

- Power Rangers

Surprised him on how good it actually was. Enjoyed it better than Kong

Now on this one i heard from a different source who actually read the shooting script that this film was ass so :manny:

- Kong

A let down story/character wise but if you like action then it should do it for you. Sam Jack and John C. are the standouts and Larson/Loki are clearly doing it for a check:francis:

- Lego Batman

Great movie, enjoyed it more than Lego Movie and the Easter Eggs will have you cheesing. Felt like a love letter to all the Batman films

- POTC5

Probably going to wind up the worst movie of the Summer. They made a Pirates movie with no sword fighting or ship battles which is baffling. Story wise, nothing is explained until the end of the movie :scust:

- Fast 8

Big disappointment and they might lose some of the audience after this one. The whole story is a mess and making Vin the bad guy fukked everything up because the reasoning is :hhh:

- Ghost In The Shell
Better hope the visuals save it because :picard: shyt is Asscreed Pt.2

- Very early cut of Thor 3

Thinks this will be better than SM:HC and GOTG2 in his opinion. What he saw was cray visual wise

I believe that's it but i'll update it when i get more. Also the DC movies are being safeguarded like Fort Knox but he said he'll let me know the deal if he finds out or gets to see some footage.