Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Man, that Aguirre soundtrack and the ending, just so :banderas:My first step into Herzog's filmography.
I've been on a tear over the last week and a half or so. Gone through the Three Colours trilogy, Rashomon, The Seventh Seal, Stalker and more. Too many classics to watch!

Yo son, you're on a muthafukking tear! :dwillhuh:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
ZojPueF.png

One of the best films I have seen this year and easily the best horror I've seen in forever. It's very comparable to The Shining in the way it's essentially a story of an evil, whose nature is shrouded in mystery, that slowly gains and exercises power through many different forms (mental intimidation, possession of the living, resurrection of the dead, etc.). It's brilliantly executed mainly because the supernatural aspect allows Na Hong-jin's greatest narrative strength, the exploration of human error, to shine like never before as the concept of logic becomes eliminated. Whereas in The Chaser and The Yellow Sea you could sit back and judge the characters' actions and decisions through logic, here you are as lost in the events as they are and thus you are similarly carried away by the current of increasing madness as the characters are. Rarely has a movie so justified its length (two and a half hours) as this film does the way the third act unleashes a storm of story twists and all-around mind fukkery that will have you glued to your seat trying to figure out if there's any way the main character can make it out of there. Na Hong-jin may have arrived on the Korean film scene just a tad too late to ride the same wave that contemporaries Kim Jee-woon, Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho rode to world-wide recognition, but there isn't a shred of doubt that he doesn't deserve to have his name mentioned in the same breath as them.