Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

Bool

Rookie
Daps
It's never left me after I saw a day one in the theaters. I just randomly picture shyt in my mind going down the levels on the elevator

I always get confused. Some people call it the Bicycle Thief and some call it Bicycle Thieves. I remember laughing at that kid in the restaurant

the name can go both ways.

Bool

Rookie
Daps
tumblr_mbx2nfvEXF1qa6obyo1_1280.jpg

OHhhhh man, I loved this one a lot. I can see the influence of Tarkovsky in The Revenant as well.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
large_eUAg3pUwHmV14sPnu2ITxW5daf0.jpg

domino is not a very good movie, which is frustrating because it does have some good elements. ultimately the writing is just too bad. tony scott does the best that he can with what he's got, so it does look good on screen.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
First round of IFFR reviews!

JzqcuRe.jpg

Free In Deed stars Edwina Findley as struggling single mother Melva whose son is suffering from a severe form of autism. As her incapability to deal with him grows stronger and she starts to feel abandoned by the doctors and medical treatments, she turns to a storefront church, where she is welcomed by the compassionate Brother Abe (David Harewood), a man who feels committed to curing her son from his "demons". But his commitment comes more from his own need to find salvation, as he doesn't believe he has been redeemed from his sordid past by the same church he now works for. It's a harrowing, depressive and painful look into the lives of people who turn to religion when the world around them has abandoned them because of the makeshift hope that religion is selling them. 3.5/5

0mpiUPM.jpg

In the absence of Lynch, let's be Lynch. The name André Turpin may not ring a bell, but the man has had a strong career as a cinematographer working with established French-Canadian auteurs like Denis Villeneuve (Incendies) and Xavier Dolan (Mommy, Tom At The Farm). Endorphine is his debut film about the young Simone who witnesses her mother being brutally murdered at age 13 and faints. On first instance, she is more captivated by the subconscious dream state caused by her fainting, and attempts to relive that experience. By doing so her subconscious keeps rearranging the events of her mother's murder as the trauma starts to take a toll on her adult life where past, present and future mix together. As should be obvious by that description and my opening sentence, it's very much inspired by the work of David Lynch, but unfortunately the narrative is lacking quite a bit compared to the master, so the experience can feel a bit empty at times even though it's an absolute wonder to look at. The Q&A with Turpin wasn't all that interesting since he already stated beforehand he hoped people would experience the movie like a dream and not try to make too much sense of it, so he left little room to do an in-depth discussion. 3/5

8EMkQ83.jpg

Never claim I don't give people a second chance! Four years ago Park Hong-Min's debut film A Fish was (and still is) the worst film I ever saw at IFFR, and this year he is back with his follow-up film Alone. Su-Min is a small-time photographer/documentary maker who witnesses three men attack his ex-girlfriend and is consequently attacked by them. After the attack he wakes up naked in the back alleys of his town, where he runs into a bruised boy holding a knife and sad crying woman. Fearing for his own life first and foremost, he ignores them but soon finds himself hunted by the masked attackers again. Quickly it becomes clear things are not what they seem as he wakes up from his second attack on the same spot and runs into the same boy and woman. When he confronts them, the maze of back alleys turns into the darkest corners of his mind, and the question is if he can ever escape them. Which is a pretty interesting premise, and I'd say for half a movie Park delivers on it quite magnificently. It's a huge improvement over his debut and with great camera work in particular he creates a great sense of dread and solitude in the mysterious back alleys. Unfortunately, as the movie goes on and Park tries to give more explanations of what's happening, he runs into the same pitfall that made his debut such a mess, and all the mystery is lost as characters start holding long uninteresting monologues that spell out most of the symbolic layers in overly contrived ways. It's a terrible shame because up until that point I actually was looking forward to the Q&A with him, but like four years ago, after the movie ended I was simply intent on getting away. Maybe next time. 2.5/5

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
A British series called Snuff Box. It was funny but I didn't laugh a lot, if that makes sense. I'd recommend it, the opening theme WILL get stuck in your head for days though.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Watching Hot Tub Time Machine 2. Passed it on a lot cause i heard the reviews said it sucked. It's good tho, aside from all the dikk talk

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
How was it?

It was interesting. Crazy concept. I enjoyed it. Maybe because I love Sam Jackson so much.
Reviews were not so good though

They couldve just made the entire movie the premise of teh first third and it wouldve been good..
They continuation wasnt needed but made for a interesting twist...

Only issue is techically its closed .. why the DA still nosey

Last edited: