Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
The Guest

CV9LTj1.jpg

Life Of Crime

apkGwNo.jpg

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Ida - :whoo:

Man, that is one beautiful, beautiful movie. I'm a sucker for "hidden past" movies, and ESPECIALLY for stark black and white cinematography. This is both. And did I mention it's beautiful?

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
18d3870d28539c82f373fa1582785527.jpg
18d3870d28539c82f373fa1582785527.jpg

Top 10, top 20 at worst film for me.

The reason why I think this is the best Lynch film (and I'm a HUGE fan of Mulholland Drive), is that whilst it has all the inherent weirdness and sinister dread of Lynch's other works, there's a grounded reality to it all. There's nothing supernatural or any real ambiguity between dreams and reality. And it's this reality that makes it all the more disturbing. These are real things that could and have happened anywhere. Deep down it's an examination of the weird and strange places human sexuality goes, manifested in Frank. Has a role ever been more perfectly cast than Hopper as Frank?

There's also real emotion in the film. The relationship between Maclachlan and Dern is genuinely heartfelt and pleasant, so it's not just another weirded out, claustrophobic Lynch head fukk. There's real human emotions at play here.

I also love how Lynch messes around with different genres and styles. Whilst this is an '80s film, for all intents and purposes it might as well be a '50s period film. Lynch's use of music is masterful and I love the '50s melodrama vibes throughout. Laura Dern's introduction in the film, stepping out of the darkness into the light whilst the sappy Hollywood orchestral score plays is such an amazing moment.

Film just doesn't get any more satisfying than this IMO.

Funny :patrice: The exact reason why you love it is why it's 4th to last on my ranking of Lynch's films. I thought Lynch was playing it safe by downplaying his surrealist aesthetics due to his previous film being a massive failure (same with Scorsese and After Hours, minus the surrealism of course).