CLIVE DAVIS speaks on MICHAEL JACKSON confronting JERMAINE JACKSON over diss song "WORD TO THE BADD"

jackson35

Banned
Daps
You must be referring to some alternate era that never existed. Prince, as talented as he is, was never a mogul. Her Maine was great at a&r. Could’ve had his own career but he wanted what MJ had. He was never seeing MJ success wise
warner bros gave him a bigger recording contract then Micheal. prince got a 100 million dollar deal, while Micheal deal was value at 65 million.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
prince got 15 mill for writing a five second jingle for ray charles for a coke commercial. prince got a blank check for any amount he wanted to score the batman soundtrack. warner brothers put 10 mil for a state of the studio for prince to recorded his music. the fact that you had to mention bobby b or hammer indicates that he was struggling to hang on. in 1982 it was all about the king, remember the amas and the grammys that year? it was the first time black folks in large number watch an awards show for one person. in 1987 it was a different ball game

Michael Jackson was making more money than prince during that time. Plus I mention Bobby And Hammer (Even george Michael) because people were calling them the "Next MJ" when they were really flash in the pans. Plus the awards you are talking about happened in 1984. after 1985 there was an industry backlash against MJ due to the success of thriller.

https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/27/m...earnings-dead-celebs-09-historical_slide.html

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Michael Jackson was making more money than prince during that time. Plus I mention Bobby And Hammer (Even george Michael) because people were calling them the "Next MJ" when they were really flash in the pans. Plus the awards you are talking about happened in 1984. after 1985 there was an industry backlash against MJ due to the success of thriller.

https://www.forbes.com/2009/10/27/m...earnings-dead-celebs-09-historical_slide.html
you do know that prince was still recording and touring while micheal was sitting on his ass. you do known his royalty's rate per record was higher then mj? mj was getting 2.50 per record. prince was getting five dollars per record, plus he plays the instruments and produces the record. prince makes more then mj.

Suzie

Pro
Daps
why would he? his music is not cookie cutting like Micheal, Micheal was repeating the formula that made thriller a mega success
That’s personal opinion
you do know that prince was still recording and touring while micheal was sitting on his ass. you do known his royalty's rate per record was higher then mj? mj was getting 2.50 per record. prince was getting five dollars per record, plus he plays the instruments and produces the record. prince makes more then mj.
Prince wasn’t getting a higher royalty rate when signed to a major. After Prince did his own thing? Maybe. He wasn’t selling albums by then either.
Outside of sells MJ always had very high earning potential

jackson35

Banned
Daps
That’s personal opinion

Prince wasn’t getting a higher royalty rate when signed to a major. After Prince did his own thing? Maybe. He wasn’t selling albums by then either.
Outside of sells MJ always had very high earning potential
warner bros offered him a higher rate on his second contract in the 90's. i already conceded that mj sells more records, prince dosent need to sell a billion records to get the same opp as mj. mj lost his earning potential after the allegations.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The power move he made by outbidding Paul Mcartney for rights to the Beatles Catalog was some bo$$ :win: shyt

And pimping out Elvis Presley music while being married to her daughter and telling Lisa and her mother to go full themselves when they tried to retrieve rights to Presley work...

Instead Mike turned around and gave Otis Blackwell the black "ghostwriter" of those Elvis tunes the publishing rights :umad:

Mike also gave Little Richard his publishing back

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Mike also gave Little Richard his publishing back
mike got the rights back because paul and yoko didn't know how to buy back the catalog without spending their money. secondly, mj, little richard and otis blackwell do not have anyone to go and collect their money from these publishing companys which is why they all had to sue them for back pay.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
beef? what beef= jermaine was making hit records and grooming talent like Whitney Houston, prince at this time was setting himself up to be a mogul. micheal at this time was struggling to hang on to his crown
Jermaine's self titled album only sold because of the Victory Tour.

And nobody blew up on Paisley Park outside of Shelia E and The Time with Pandemonium, which was released in 1990.

Muthafukkaz always trying to re-write history.

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
Prince was never selling like MJ . Purple Rain was the exception.
That's true too.

Prince's albums always did numbers, but they never really did huge numbers. Purple Rain was the only album that he and Mike were on the same level.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
:ninja2:
Mike stepped to his brother and made him fall back :russ:

I had signed Jermaine Jackson to Arista and, like L.A. and Babyface, he had also worked with Whitney Houston. We had some success with his three albums for the label, but as we were getting started on his fourth, I thought he might be an ideal fit for LaFace. As Michael Jackson’s older brother, Jermaine was now in his late thirties and, beginning with the Jackson 5, had been making records for more than two decades. I thought that working with L.A. and Babyface would give him a new sound, expose him to a younger audience, and bring him success on the scale that he so badly wanted. Jermaine loved the idea, and L.A. and Babyface, who had grown up with the family mystique of the Jacksons, were excited as well. It seemed like a well-made match.

As the three of them began working on Jermaine’s first album for LaFace, which would be titled You Said, Jermaine was startled to learn that his brother Michael had approached L.A. and Babyface and offered them very substantial amounts of money to work on songs for his new album, and surprisingly they had agreed to do it. Everything they wrote during this immediate, well-defined period of a couple of weeks would be for Michael to use. Jermaine couldn’t believe that Michael, his close brother, would hijack his producers’ material this way. :snoop:

Consequently, he regarded Michael’s hiring L.A. and Babyface as a profound betrayal, and he was shaken to his core. :sadcam:

I had dinner with Jermaine in Paris around this time, and he was totally disconsolate throughout the entire meal. He was crying, indeed sobbing at times, so deeply hurt that his brother would do this to him. Unfortunately, that hurt turned to anger, and Jermaine recorded a song called “Word to the Badd” that was a bitter excoriation of Michael. It was leaked to radio and instantly created a sensation. In the song, Jermaine vilified Michael for lightening his skin; for being “a child,” not “a man”; and for “takin’ my pie,” a seeming reference to the situation with L.A. and Babyface. :stopitslime:

“Word to the Badd” was set to go on You Said lp by Jermaine , and there wasn’t much I could do about that, even after Michael Jackson personally called me to complain.

It was in this spirit that Michael called me to pull “Word to the Badd” off Jermaine’s forthcoming album. He said, “I know you have respect for me, and I have respect for you. How could you let my brother do this? I don’t want you to release that record.” :win:

I told him, “Look, Michael, Jermaine is an artist on a label in which I have an interest. I do have great respect for you, but this really is a problem between the two of you. You’ve got to deal with him directly.” :ehh:

As uncomfortable as I was with what Jermaine had done, I felt it would be wrong for me to tell an artist to take a song off his album. This was a family and personal matter that they needed to resolve themselves.

Michael said that Jermaine was avoiding him and he couldn’t find him anywhere. :ninja2:

I told him, “He’s just gotten to your parents’ house. I spoke to him ten minutes ago.”

A few hours later, Jermaine called me. “You’ll never guess what happened,” he said. “I’m at my parents’ house, and Michael went around to the back, climbed up and went through a window, and came down the stairs and confronted me with the problem. :mindblown:

We really had it out.” Jermaine stuck to his guns and kept the song out there, but eventually he and Michael came to some sort of understanding. Jermaine softened the lyrics to the song and changed its focus. :stylin:

The Soundtrack of My Life

mj was not to be fukked with :mj:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Michael always felt Jermaine was jealous but it seems things were the other way around.