"Classic" film you watched that just didn't live up to expectation/hype?

Kendom

Pro
Daps
What film did you watch that has a classic or heralded status that when you finally got to see just didn't live up to the hype that had been built up? It wasn't necessarily a bad movie just nothing special

Mine was Blair Witch Project. I was so excited for this film after recommending some duds for the fam and it was just.. Not scary to me At All. It just seemed to me like some students getting lost and arguing in the forest and then when it finally became scary... It ended.

And on the risk of catching negs... "There will be blood". Sorry brehs I don't know ppl compare that to No Country for Old men not even comparable imo TWBB was kinda boring yh I know Daniel day Lewis had an ATG performance. I think I came into it with the wrong expectation of the kind of movie it was going to be.

Last edited:

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
Gladiator......:hubie::unimpressed:

UpK.gif

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mine was Blair Witch Project. I was so excited for this film after recommending some duds for the fan and it was just.. Not scary to me At All. It just seemed to me like some students getting lost and arguing in the forest and then when it finally became scary... It ended.
How long ago did you watch it?

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Blair witch is not a classic.

And "there will be blood" is only for certain types of movie fans. I can definitely see lots of people not digging it.

Picture me bringing a bytch to the crib and turning on some long, drawn out, Daniel day lewis acting masterpiece.
Id be scaring the hoes.

I can't think of any classics I don't fukk with yet tho

Last edited:

Clive42

All Star
Daps
Groundhog Day

Learnt that it originated the concept used in a couple films I like (Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow)

When I finally watched it, I actually thought those movies that borrowed from it were better.

Kendom

Pro
Daps
Groundhog Day

Learnt that it originated the concept used in a couple films I like (Source Code, Edge of Tomorrow)

When I finally watched it, I actually thought those movies that borrowed from it were better.
Yeah that's the problem when you go back and watch the older films. Newer filmmakers are able to take the same concept and expand on it so when you go back it doesn't hit the same.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Groundhog Day

Yeah that's the problem when you go back and watch the older films. Newer filmmakers are able to take the same concept and expand on it so when you go back it doesn't hit the same.
Groundhog day was a slap stick comedy tho. Comparing that to Sci fi action flicks is just dumb.

Either way it's classic.

Clive42

All Star
Daps
You're not wrong about that, but I've watched 'original' films after watching the 'later' films before and have usually enjoyed them a lot more than I did when comparing to Groundhog Day and it's 'later' films.

Tbf, I didnt really go into it expecting it to be better than those other films. Instead I just saw how well liked it was on its wiki page (good reviews, one of the greatest comedies of all time, entered into the Library of Congress etc.) and just expected a film I thought I'd enjoy a lot more.

Probably what I get for taking reviews/accolades as gospel, again.

Clive42

All Star
Daps
Groundhog day was a slap stick comedy tho. Comparing that to Sci fi action flicks is just dumb.

Either way it's classic.

I probably weren't clear at first.

Me bringing up those 2 other films is because thats how I found out about Groundhog Day. Concepts clearly can be used across different genres, so its not like I was expecting action and thrills while watching it. Drama, sci-fi, comedy or whatever, a great film is a great film to me.

As I said to OP above, based on its wikipedia page (and a few other sources), it seemed like a very well liked film so that was what set my expectations. I wont lie, some of my expectations was from watching those 2 other films first, but I always try to be non bias and judge a film on its own qualities. Its just that I ended up not enjoying it as much as those 2 movies that borrowed the concept.