City Of God sequel | HBO Max | filming in 2023. πŸŽ₯

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Released in 2002, the acclaimed drama exposed the cruel world in which the poor and Black communities are forced to live in. The movie was praised for commenting on the fact that kids who are born into the comunidades (slums) receive little to no attention from the government, and have to endure extreme violence in all forms in order to survive. However, it’s been 20 years since the movie was released, and Brazil has changed a lot since then – and the City of God series will set out to reflect that.

That the problems highlighted by City of God are not over. Racism is still a very real and structural issue in Brazil, and people who are born into the comunidades are still victims of constant prejudice. The difference now is that more people acknowledge the problem, and make it a point of destigmatizing those communities. As Meirelles himself puts it, City of God β€œtalked about the shortcomings of the comunidades. This time, it's going to be about the power of those comunidades." Collider can tell you that the City of God series is being developed by HBO Max right now. The scripts are being finished, and the streamer plans to film it in 2023

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
shiiiit can somebody dubbed the og
Negged.

tumblr_mv4xr6r3Ly1sm3zwko1_500.gif

Last edited:

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I remember watching it for the first time after reading about it in the newspaper (it was 20 years ago after all) not knowing much about Brazil and not expecting much at all only to end up being blown away by what I was watching. I went back to see it like maybe four times more after that.

Some of the actors have sadly struggled since then and one even went missing, but the two dudes who played Lil Dice/Ze have gone on to do real well for themselves and still doing their thing, especially the younger one. Of course the chick who played Angelica went on to do other stuff and played Teresa Mendoza in Queen of the South. I thought the kid Rocket who starred in City of God would have become a bigger name.

The original will always stand out as a classic masterpiece. The fact the sequel series is being made by the same guy is encouraging.