Chicago Urban Prep Program: 3 years with 100% College Acceptance

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps

ok but heres the thing, 100% of that class doesnt have to pay for p*ssy like your pathetic ass :laff:

Really stupid ad hominem.

and TBH, I don't care if I have to pay or not. I can afford to smash dimes and not have to go through the hassle of courting women. those kids would be happy if they earned enough money to even have the ability to pay for p*ssy.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Okay, so maybe 8 people out of how many graduates of their program. And besides Howard (and perhaps Hampton) those other schools they listed that you didn't bold are very mediocre. In this economy, unless you're going into engineering or something else quantitative, it's not worth going to a school outside the top 20, especially if you're black.

Eh, these guys are coming from schools with 50 percent high school dropout rates, low income, and more than likely very violent areas. Going to a State University (and would be better financially compared to them going to Northwester/UC unless its full scholarship) is far more preferably than the immediate alternative.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Really stupid ad hominem.

and TBH, I don't care if I have to pay or not. I can afford to smash dimes and not have to go through the hassle of courting women. those kids would be happy if they earned enough money to even have the ability to pay for p*ssy.

*doesn't court women*
*smashes dimes*

Argument is null & void....

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Obviously the unemployment rate for college grads as a whole is lower than those who didn't graduate college. Older college grads had the benefit of a healthier economy and a degree that carried more value because college graduates were rarer.

1 in every 2 new grads is currently unemployed, and of those who are employed, almost half are in positions that don't even require a college degree.

In Weak Job Market, One In Two College Graduates Are Jobless Or Underemployed

Even if unemployment is higher among non-college grads versus college grads in the same age bracket, at least the former group isn't liable for tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

I'm not trying to discourage people from pursuing higher education, but we should start including trade school as an option as well. The overall cost of education is lower and unless you major in something vocational, trade school offers a more direct path to a job.

yeah i know about the stats, the problem is that all those stats show is that the unemployment rates of new college grades have increased but the unemployment rate of new college grads has always been high, common sense would tell you it has to be high and it always will be

and again to do a proper comparison you have to compare it with high school grads and you have to do it over the long term, i dont see what worse advice you can give then advising somebody that they should simply look at what happens after college and not what happens 20 years ahead, 20 years from know the english barista with the 50k student loan debt will be much better of than most high school grads

so you seem to be giving advice for the short term and for the current recession, i would advice you to switch it up and give advice over the long term and over lifetime

as far as debt, lets go back to chico state, you need to do some more research, chico state is way cheaper than any trade school, the bulk of the massive increase in student debt is becuase of trade schools and other 2 year degree type places (dental assistant, and itt, devry etc type of schools)

so its false to suggest that trade school is a better choice when in general public university education is cheaper than trade schools

if you are worried about debt then the solution is to go to a public university, so instead of suggesting not going to college i think the better advice is to not go to trade schools and dont go to private universities

personally i say people should do whatever the fuk they want, as long as you do go to school and get something past high school, even if you do go into debt

what black people need to focus on is intellectual development, becuase black people are trying to build a nation not just get a job to survive

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Okay, so maybe 8 people out of how many graduates of their program. And besides Howard (and perhaps Hampton) those other schools they listed that you didn't bold are very mediocre. In this economy, unless you're going into engineering or something else quantitative, it's not worth going to a school outside the top 20, especially if you're black.

Are you serious?

You can go to a good school, and be nothing. Just like you can go to a bad school and be something.

Not a lot of schools are doing what they're doing. Every kid isn't going to get into a great school. It's a good thing that they are continuing their education, staying off the streets, and understanding the importance of developing their future.

These kids worked hard, just be happy for them. It's not like they all went to DeVry and ITT Tech.
Don't be such a skeptic.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana

Dartmouth and Northwestern are mediocre...:wtb:

College Rankings. National Universities
Dartmouth College's ranking in the 2012 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 11.

Dartmouth College | Best College | US News

Northwestern University's ranking in the 2012 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 12

Dartmouth College | Best College | US News

Cornell University's ranking in the 2012 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 15.

Cornell University | Best College | US News

University of Michigan #28
Howard University #115 :smugfavre:

:whoo:

Yea, you can ignore me, I'm done with this argument.

Congrats to them kids tho.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Dartmouth and Northwestern are mediocre...:wtb:

:whoo:

Yea, you can ignore me, I'm done with this argument.

Congrats to them kids tho.

You realize that he said besides the schools in bold right? Everyone knows Dartmouth, Northwestern and Michigan are elite.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
yeah i know about the stats, the problem is that all those stats show is that the unemployment rates of new college grades have increased but the unemployment rate of new college grads has always been high, common sense would tell you it has to be high and it always will be

and again to do a proper comparison you have to compare it with high school grads and you have to do it over the long term, i dont see what worse advice you can give then advising somebody that they should simply look at what happens after college and not what happens 20 years ahead, 20 years from know the english barista with the 50k student loan debt will be much better of than most high school grads

so you seem to be giving advice for the short term and for the current recession, i would advice you to switch it up and give advice over the long term and over lifetime

as far as debt, lets go back to chico state, you need to do some more research, chico state is way cheaper than any trade school, the bulk of the massive increase in student debt is becuase of trade schools and other 2 year degree type places (dental assistant, and itt, devry etc type of schools)

so its false to suggest that trade school is a better choice when in general public university education is cheaper than trade schools

if you are worried about debt then the solution is to go to a public university, so instead of suggesting not going to college i think the better advice is to not go to trade schools and dont go to private universities

personally i say people should do whatever the fuk they want, as long as you do go to school and get something past high school, even if you do go into debt

what black people need to focus on is intellectual development, becuase black people are trying to build a nation not just get a job to survive

I wish I could find a link, but there was a study done looking at the net present value of a college degree by major, meaning they took lifetime career earnings of each major and discounted them to present value, minus opportunity costs and tuition. I remember a few majors, like Spanish, actually had negative present value, meaning you'd be better off going to high school and not pursuing any higher education. If I can find the article or study, I'll post it.

I'd also agree that going to shytty, for-profit schools and pursuing a vocational degree is a heavy debt-incurring, bad move. However, there are community colleges that offer low-cost certifications in trades. ITT and DeVry aren't the only for-profit schools around.

And sure, I suppose if one of these kids got into a low-cost state school, their debt load wouldn't be that heavy. Even so, getting into one of these lowly rank schools shouldn't be viewed as any real accomplishment. Anyone can get into these schools.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Hell nah, read that shyt wrong as hell..

:to:

Yeah, I said besides the schools in the bold. I'm actually a graduate of one of the bolded schools. I'm very familiar with these schools. My point is that probably only 8 or 10 guys total went to these schools. The rest likely went to low-tier, open-admissions schools. Blacks need to hold higher standards. Anyone can get into some no-name school. We ought to celebrate our kids getting into the Ivies and/or graduating with degrees in reputable majors and having good jobs lined up. You'd never see any Asian saying "Oh boy! Little Shuyang got into Western Illinois University! I'm so happy!". Instead, Shuyang would have been getting his ass whooped so he could get into a top tier school and become a banker/lawyer/doctor/engineer.

If we start holding higher standards for our children, overall success will rise.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Are you serious?

You can go to a good school, and be nothing. Just like you can go to a bad school and be something.

Not a lot of schools are doing what they're doing. Every kid isn't going to get into a great school. It's a good thing that they are continuing their education, staying off the streets, and understanding the importance of developing their future.

These kids worked hard, just be happy for them. It's not like they all went to DeVry and ITT Tech.
Don't be such a skeptic.

Yes, but people from elite schools are likelier to be more successful than people from mediocre or poor schools. This is especially the case for minorities.

Revisiting the Value of Elite Colleges - NYTimes.com

Black students, Latino students, low-income students and students whose parents did not graduate from college. “For them, attending a more selective school increased earnings significantly,” Mr. Krueger has written.

Even for whites, graduating from an elite school presents higher chances for breaking into high paying professions like consulting and banking versus career outcomes at a mediocre or poor school. Why? Because good firms don't even recruit at crappy schools. TTT (third tier trash) kids can't even get their resumes looked at by a recruiter unless you've got close personal ties to someone within the firm. I've got personal insight into this.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Yes, but people from elite schools are likelier to be more successful than people from mediocre or poor schools. This is especially the case for minorities.

Revisiting the Value of Elite Colleges - NYTimes.com

Even for whites, graduating from an elite school presents higher chances for breaking into high paying professions like consulting and banking versus career outcomes at a mediocre or poor school. Why? Because good firms don't even recruit at crappy schools.

Yea, but your argument is jacked up because you make it into a mediocre thing that all these kids are going to college. That's an accomplishment. Like I said, everybody can't get into top tier schools.
Once they become educated, they may start their own businesses in their own community. They may not make any money at all, but may have the knowledge to help make a difference.

Considering the usual alternative of a Chicago Schools High school grad, this is a great thing.

It's like ending world hunger, but complaining because people only get hot dogs and beans instead of steak.

J_rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wish I could find a link, but there was a study done looking at the net present value of a college degree by major, meaning they took lifetime career earnings of each major and discounted them to present value, minus opportunity costs and tuition. I remember a few majors, like Spanish, actually had negative present value, meaning you'd be better off going to high school and not pursuing any higher education. If I can find the article or study, I'll post it.

I'd also agree that going to shytty, for-profit schools and pursuing a vocational degree is a heavy debt-incurring, bad move. However, there are community colleges that offer low-cost certifications in trades. ITT and DeVry aren't the only for-profit schools around.

And sure, I suppose if one of these kids got into a low-cost state school, their debt load wouldn't be that heavy. Even so, getting into one of these lowly rank schools shouldn't be viewed as any real accomplishment. Anyone can get into these schools.

Bro, with all due respect, you don't know what the fukk you're talking about. Your stat at the top is irrelevant in respect to the OP's article. Who knows what these kids are majoring in so you can't speculate as to whether or not they're gonna get a good ROI without additional info on what majors these kids are going into. What's the chance that the bulk of these kids are gonna major in Spanish? In addition, these kids represent a demographic (young black males) that many schools are falling over themselves to enroll. I'm sure they're getting scholarships thrown at them left and right.

Furthermore there are marginal benefits associated with higher education aside from just the degree. People who pursue their education further for only two years, much less graduate, typically earn higher wages, are more likely to vote, more likely to live longer and be healthier, more likely to stay out of prison, less likely to be poor etc. In sum, they are more likely to be productive, contributing citizens to society. Especially considering the life circumstances these kids are coming from--low income, single parent households, crime ridden neighborhoods, drugs, gangs--the fact that they are going to college, any college, will greatly improve their life chances.

This is a remarkable achievement and I don't think you're giving it the credit it deserves. To be honest, you do sound like an elitist. And I would remind you that at the end of the day you're still black. In spite of your fancy Ivy league degree and your posh job on Wall Street, white people probably don't think there's much difference between you and the kids from this Chicago urban prep school. Never forget that.

Higher Tech

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gary, Indiana
Yeah, I said besides the schools in the bold. I'm actually a graduate of one of the bolded schools. I'm very familiar with these schools. My point is that probably only 8 or 10 guys total went to these schools. The rest likely went to low-tier, open-admissions schools. Blacks need to hold higher standards. Anyone can get into some no-name school. We ought to celebrate our kids getting into the Ivies and/or graduating with degrees in reputable majors and having good jobs lined up. You'd never see any Asian saying "Oh boy! Little Shuyang got into Western Illinois University! I'm so happy!". Instead, Shuyang would have been getting his ass whooped so he could get into a top tier school and become a banker/lawyer/doctor/engineer.

If we start holding higher standards for our children, overall success will rise.

We have to start somewhere. We regressed so far, as far as education is concerned, that this is a huge stepping stone. Let's start getting kids into college first. And as the generations advance, we'll get them into better schools.

"Little Shuyang" probably had college educated parents to help him guide his journey.

Lil Ron Ron probably didn't.

J_rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You sound even stupider than you did in your last post. Hey guess what dumbass? You're not the only one that's graduated from a top school. Your posts reek of elitism and insecurity. I bet you were picked on when you were younger for being a black nerd so now you feel the need to trumpet your academic credentials every chance you get. No wonder you have to pay for p*ssy. I knew guys like you in undergrad and they were losers. It's sad to see that things don't change much once they graduate.

Maybe you should have taken some critical thinking classes while you were getting your fancy degree. Once again, how do you know where the bulk of these students are going? Was there a stat that I missed? 8-10? Where did you get that from? :heh: And how do you know that they went to "low tier, open admissions schools?" What school has open admissions and just let's anyone in? And why would kids that have worked hard at a prep school want to attend such a place? Your post is riddled with baseless assumptions and lack of evidence. Your ivy league education has obviously failed you.

Oh and one more thing. Getting an ivy league education is not all it's cracked out to be. Economists have tracked students with comparable mental ability and drive where one student attended an ivy league institution and the other attended a local state school and there was no statistically relevant difference in their earnings. In turns out if you have the capabilities to succeed you will do so regardless of where you go to school. Check the schools of the Fortune 500 CEOs and you'll be shocked to see the number that didn't graduate from an ivy.

Basically, you are a hater and a fool. We should celebrate whenever any child is able to work hard and achieve their academic goals. The fact that these are black males who are often looked down upon and stereotyped as lacking in academic ability makes this story all the better. Most children will never attend an ivy league school. And that's ok. Every shouldn't have to. But it is important for black high school students to know that going to college is important and bettering yourself is both a necessity and a requirement in today's global economy. Get off your high horse.