CEO of Dreamworks Offered $75 mill For 3 More Episodes Of "Breaking Bad"

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Obviously they turned him down but :wow:

Jeffrey Katzenberg, the CEO of DreamWorks Animation, told an audience of TV execs at the Mipcom mart in Cannes that six weeks ago he offered to commission three extra episodes — totaling 180 minutes — of “Breaking Bad.” He offered to pay $25 million per episode, he said.

The episodes would continue from where the show ended.

“I had this crazy idea. I was nuts for the show. I had no idea where this season was going,” he said during the keynote session at Mipcom.

“The last series cost about $3.5 million an episode. So they would make more profit from these three shows than they made from five years of the entire series,” he said.

He explained that he had intended to show the extra content as six-minute segments over 30 days online.

“I said (to them), ‘I’m going to create the greatest pay-per-view television event for scripted programming anybody’s ever done,’ ” he explained.

He planned to charge viewers from around 50 cents to 99 cents per episode.

However, this was before Katzenberg knew where the “Breaking Bad” creative team were taking the storyline, which meant his idea was a non-starter.

Katzenberg told the anecdote to illustrate his belief in the commercial potential of short-form content online.

“I share the story with you only to tell you that I have the courage of my convictions in this. I just think that there is a whole new platform for (short form) entertainment … and the higher the quality of the stuff that fills it, the higher people will be paid for the work that they are doing there,” he said.

DreamWorks Animation bought YouTube entertainment network AwesomenessTV for $33 million at the end of April.
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/mip...three-extra-breaking-bad-episodes-1200708639/

Fred.

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
He explained that he had intended to show the extra content as six-minute segments over 30 days online.

“I said (to them), ‘I’m going to create the greatest pay-per-view television event for scripted programming anybody’s ever done,’ ” he explained.

He planned to charge viewers from around 50 cents to 99 cents per episode.

:bryan:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They might as well have done it, its not like theyd sacrifice any artistic credibility.

The ending solidified Gilligan as a carny swindling masses of hillbillies, such as hexagram. Entertaining show, the swindling part comes in where they convince cacs that its great art.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
They might as well have done it, its not like theyd sacrifice any artistic credibility.

The ending solidified Gilligan as a carny swindling masses of hillbillies, such as hexagram. Entertaining show, the swindling part comes in where they convince cacs that its great art.

:troll:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
6 mins each...50 cents each...180 minutes...That's like 15 dollars to see it all. Not bad compared to movies and blue rays and ish, but I'd probably complain about paying for content and wait for someone to upload it tbh.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This dude gives a shyt about Breaking Bad...what he's doing is testing the waters...

Nah, if Warren Buffet is a fan of the show a CEO for Dreamworks isn't really surprising. Obviously he was looking at it from a business perspective as well though.

Famous people were fans of "BB" years before the mainstream ever caught on.

That's why you have people like Darren Aronofsky, Rian Johnson, Ricki Lake, Charlie Rose, Guillermo Del Toro, Michael Moore, Steven Soderbergh, DB Weiss, Alex Gansa, and too many actors to name raving about it on Twitter.

Fred.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Nah, if Warren Buffet is a fan of the show a CEO for Dreamworks isn't really surprising. Obviously he was looking at it from a business perspective as well though.

Famous people were fans of "BB" years before the mainstream ever caught on.

That's why you have people like Darren Aronofsky, Rian Johnson, Ricki Lake, Charlie Rose, Guillermo Del Toro, Michael Moore, Steven Soderbergh, DB Weiss, Alex Gansa, and too many actors to name raving about it on Twitter.

Fred.
:russ: :stopitslime: