Centrist House Dems allying with Big Pharma

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
this is precisely what i didn't get about the disrespect towards Cory Booker when he voted down that bill to import drugs.

New Jersey is home to most pharma companies on the east coast AND the USA leads the world in drug research and development and its not even close.
He said he voted against it due to safety concerns. So he shyt on the industry and his swipe was a lie at that. lol

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
"The U.S. taxpayer has funded research for every single one of the 210 new drugs that the FDA approved between 2010-16. Yet the companies that have access to this research are increasingly viewing pharmaceuticals in the same way that banks view their financial product — opportunities for short-term returns."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/10/17/pharmaceutical/

The research can be outsourced by just buying out a research group once they get close to paydirt.

In other words folks are doing this type of research already, they don't deserve credit especially since their role is more about obtaining their patents and stretching them out as long as possible to keep the medication at unaffordable prices as long as possible to line their pockets
I found this excerpt interesting From your article:

The solution? Apply the same mission-oriented approach used in national defense to health care. The military has historically used public funds to solve problems by interacting dynamically with the private sector, albeit with government direction, with the goal of benefiting the taxpayer.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
@Kenny West what you don’t understand is that even Elizabeth warren was pushing a bill to get the government to produce generic drugs because there’s a lack of financial incentive to do so once the patents and intellectual property restrictions expire.

There’s a unique place for it.

I mean gouging is wrong Obviously. The entire reason you know about Martin Skhreli is because Hillary Clinton tweeted about what he was doing.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Kenny West what you don’t understand is that even Elizabeth warren was pushing a bill to get the government to produce generic drugs because there’s a lack of financial incentive to do so once the patents and intellectual property restrictions expire.

I mean gouging is wrong Obviously. The entire reason you know about Martin Skhreli is because Hillary Clinton tweeted about what he was doing.
Nah man I worked with medicare beneficiaries before...old folks getting fukked hard on both ends by dwindling SS benefits and rising rx costs. It dont even gotta be as extreme as the skreli example.

Even the modest looking drug costs with insurance are backbreakers for folks living on less than 900 per month.

And its not even necessary. This dynamic was created purely as a result of folks trying to maximise profits

I like warrens idea and she has insight to try to have policy in the places where capitalism fails us. But even with that bill they still gotta wait out patents through all the games played on those. Ask any poor person taking eliquis

Last edited:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ

Lmao. What???

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lmao. What???
Lol...lets be real. Skreli is a small fish in this game . The only reason skreli got popped as bad as he did is because he dared to cross the gays. They wanted to make an example out of him

They have the money, political action and media influence that your grandma getting priced out of her heart medication dont have. Thats why he's the only household name in spite of all the other bigger players that get popped.

Of course clout chasing ass hillary would be on it

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I just dont see how "Big Pharna" is so demonized...

I mean damn, the drugs can't make themselves. It takes a ton of time, resources, talent, and risk to develop pharmaceutical drugs. The can't sell the drugs at a loss. If they are not covering the cost of development, manufacturing, and earning a profit...they won't exist. You want no drugs or expensive drugs?

Breh, you really need to do your research. A lot of big pharma's profits come from patent abuse, misuse of the legislative process, and jumping off of government-funded and university-funded research.

And the things that Big Pharma does fund are always things that they see themselves making big money off of. So they fund research into stuff that affects rich people and stuff that affects old people, because that's where they get the most money (due to rich people insurance and Medicare Part D). The comparatively ignore stuff that affects poor people even when it kills far more.

Not to mention that a lot of these drugs DON'T actually do any good, or show results that are ambiguous compared to non-drug methods. Or often they develop new drugs that are no more effective than old ones, but stop selling the old ones and convince patients to buy the new ones cause they can charge more cause the patents haven't run out yet.

And they get away with all this through a ton of lobbying in D.C. and a lot of money and perks stuffed into the pockets of doctors, not to mention some obscene advertising.

The whole time they're playing these games for money, they're playing with people's lives.

THAT'S why they're so demonized.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Nah man I worked with medicare beneficiaries before...old folks getting fukked hard on both ends by dwindling SS benefits and rising rx costs. It dont even gotta be as extreme as the skreli example.

Even the modest looking drug costs with insurance are backbreakers for folks living on less than 900 per month.

And its not even necessary. This dynamic was created purely as a result of folks trying to maximise profits

I like warrens idea and she has insight to try to have policy in the places where capitalism fails us. But even with that bill they still gotta wait out patents through all the games played on those. Ask any poor person taking eliquis

One thing that's crazy is since Bernie is at a border state, since the 1990s he's been getting buses to Montreal from Vermont for constituents to buy drugs for like 1/10 of the cost sometimes.

Los Angeles Times - Bargain Drug Prices Spark Border Crossings

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
@Kenny West @Rhakim @FAH1223

Man stop with the sensationalist headline of "the government funds drug development costs"

Y'all do know that there are literally levels to this shyt, right? Drug development occurs in three phases: exploratory, mid-level, and late stage. The "government funding" that y'all allude to is provided primarily at the exploratory level...which happens to be the least expensive and least risky research level. Mid-stage and late-stage research is much more risky and costly and is primarily funded by the pharmaceutical companies themselves and venture capitalists.

The average cost of developing a new drug is roughly $1 billion - the government is not providing all that funding. Again they are primarily involved at the early, low risk, low cost stage.

And yall know that I come with receipts: Current Model for Financing Drug Development: From Concept Through Approval - Breakthrough Business Models - NCBI Bookshelf

And we are just discussing the development costs...let's get into production cost. Is the government funding the raw material costs, direct and indirect labor costs, marketing, employee pensions, and energy costs that are required to manufacture and distribute drugs???

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
And the things that Big Pharma does fund are always things that they see themselves making big money off of. So they fund research into stuff that affects rich people and stuff that affects old people, because that's where they get the most money (due to rich people insurance and Medicare Part D). The comparatively ignore stuff that affects poor people even when it kills far more.

Man this is fake news, it has nothing to do with rich vs poor. Their primary focus is on developing drugs for diseases that affect a greater percentage of the population. If there are more folks affected by a disease, there are more folks buying the drug thus a greater return on investment...

Focusing on drugs that are solely for the rich is not a sound strategy given the development and manufacturing costs...

KingJudah2

All Star
Daps
Reppin
718 Kings County
I just dont see how "Big Pharna" is so demonized...

I mean damn, the drugs can't make themselves. It takes a ton of time, resources, talent, and risk to develop pharmaceutical drugs. The can't sell the drugs at a loss. If they are not covering the cost of development, manufacturing, and earning a profit...they won't exist. You want no drugs or expensive drugs?
nikka why are drugs advertising to people. People have an issue they see the doctor, and the doctor recommends something.

Not "my foot hurts I saw a commercial for x drug can you give it to me?"

Doc" say less"

What kinda shyt is that

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
nikka why are drugs advertising to people. People have an issue they see the doctor, and the doctor recommends something.

Not "my foot hurts I saw a commercial for x drug can you give it to me?"

Doc" say less"

What kinda shyt is that

I feel what you're saying.

But as a patient, I'd like to know what options are out there considering subconscious bias and the fact that white doctors are less likely to perscribe medication to black patients: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/doctors-black-patients-feel-less-pain_n_57055d56e4b0a506064dfcdb