Centrist House Dems allying with Big Pharma

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I just dont see how "Big Pharna" is so demonized...

I mean damn, the drugs can't make themselves. It takes a ton of time, resources, talent, and risk to develop pharmaceutical drugs. The can't sell the drugs at a loss. If they are not covering the cost of development, manufacturing, and earning a profit...they won't exist. You want no drugs or expensive drugs?

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.

I mean damn, the drugs can't make themselves. It takes a ton of time, resources, talent, and risk to develop pharmaceutical drugs. The can't sell the drugs at a loss. If they are not covering the cost of development, manufacturing, and earning a profit...they won't exist. You want no drugs or expensive drugs?
Buckle up...

:popcorn3:

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere

Most drug research has to be funded by VC's or grants. It would be strange if it wasnt. Also the US might be the only county that let's the drug companies set the prices with no negotiating all the while advertising on every station possible :russ:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

We don't want price gouging which is what's happening. They are spending so much on marketing i.e. advertising and they don't publish prices.

They'd still be making profits if we were paying what the Canadians pay.

The Pharmaceutical Industry - True Cost of Heathcare

As I said before, I went over seven years of financial reports for 13 major pharmaceutical companies and here is some of what I found:

-The combined total revenue for all 13 companies over 8 years was about $3.78 Trillion.

-The Combined total profits for these companies was about $744 Billion.

-All 13 pharmaceutical companies spent a total of $643 Billion on research.

-The total amount they spent on marketing was about 60% more than what they spent on research: $1.04 Trillion.

Here’s the same information in two graphs:
PharmBG2018.png

Figure 2: Total combined profits earned by all 13 major pharmaceutical companies from 2011-2018 compared to amount spent on marketing and research over the same time period. Proportion of total revenue allocated for each is below (figure 3).
PharmaPG2018.png

Figure 3

As you can see, the pharmaceutical companies do spend a lot on research but their research budgets are dwarfed by their marketing budgets. They also made more in profits each year, on average, than they spent on research.

So let’s do some estimates. Just as an example, we’ll take that dose of Xarelto that we get for $14.37 and the Canadians for about $3. The pill most likely costs just a few cents to manufacture (we know that from the cost of the generics), so the $14.37 is mostly profit. But they charge (us in the U.S.) $14.37, they say, to cover the cost of discovering it.

Yet from their own statements, only about $2.44 of the $14.37 (17%) goes into research. Another $2.73 is pure, after-tax profit, and a whopping 27%, or about $3.88 of that $14.37 pill goes, not to the scientists at the pharmaceutical companies, but toward buying all of those medication ads you love so much. So most of what we “buy,” when we pay the highest drug prices in the world, is high corporate profits and lots of television commercials of middle-aged men with very pretty wives.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They don't develop these medications they pretty much buy rights to government funded research and then sell the shyt to the public 10x the price....or more.

Don't cape for greed

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

this is precisely what i didn't get about the disrespect towards Cory Booker when he voted down that bill to import drugs.

New Jersey is home to most pharma companies on the east coast AND the USA leads the world in drug research and development and its not even close.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
They don't develop these medications they pretty much buy rights to government funded research and then sell the shyt to the public 10x the price....or more.

Don't cape for greed
The USA leads the world in orphan drug research primarily BECAUSE government alone can't finance the incentive research rare drug therapies for rare diseases.

On top of that, pharmaceuticals is one area where the USA has a clear dominance over the rest of the world and I hope it continues.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The USA leads the world in orphan drug research primarily BECAUSE government alone can't finance the incentive research rare drug therapies for rare diseases.

On top of that, pharmaceuticals is one area where the USA has a clear dominance over the rest of the world and I hope it continues.
"The U.S. taxpayer has funded research for every single one of the 210 new drugs that the FDA approved between 2010-16. Yet the companies that have access to this research are increasingly viewing pharmaceuticals in the same way that banks view their financial product — opportunities for short-term returns."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/theworldpost/wp/2018/10/17/pharmaceutical/

The research can be outsourced by just buying out a research group once they get close to paydirt.

In other words folks are doing this type of research already, they don't deserve credit especially since their role is more about obtaining their patents and stretching them out as long as possible to keep the medication at unaffordable prices as long as possible to line their pockets