Carlton Banks Was The Realest Character On Fresh Prince

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Like I said, I never really watch the show, but just by hanging out, I thought all the girls liked Will, and Carlton was a stuck-up square, and too good for the hood. I thought this was when rappers were in. Will was a rapper himself, although I never heard of him before the show aired. I was with George Clinton's Funk Mob generation. But based on what I knew, and although nobody knew his name, and most people probably still don't, I thought Alfonso Rivera would be the star, since he was well known in that Michael Jackson pepsi commercial, doing the moonwalk almost as good as Michael Jackson. But I do think the girls would have liked Carlton in real life, being smart and all, and if he lived in a gated Black community, or even the hood...yes I've seen that. This was when girls were always looking for somebody different than the rest....I guess they still do. But he couldn't be dancing to no Tom Jones...lol. I still don't believe a brother back then, or til this day, could dance to no Tom Jones, even if he grew up adopted by the Brady Bunch. Then I could be wrong. I know couldn't relate to no sister who grew up on some Tom Jones. Hey, most in my age group did grew up with him, but we turned the channel every Sunday night when he came on. The only thing Tom Jones did for us was remind us the weekend was over, and we had to go back to school the next morning.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
What I find interesting is how many posters love Carlton but hate Will. If Fresh Prince came out today, everybody would be calling Carlton a c00n. :dead:

Big facts

Dude was a Ronald Regan Stan, a Donald Trump Stan, has pictures of Clarence Thomas on his wall and went to Young Republicans Camp every summer with a bunch of cacs.

:russ:

(Yes I binged the show recently, so all these details are fresh in my mind)

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
:russ: I'm dying at the social deconstruction of the Fresh Prince over the past few years.

It's wild how they changed the tone of the show from season 1/2 to season three. Damn near every episode had a lesson presented to the viewer. That shyt was basically jokes for 22 minutes once they got into the third season. Will and Carlton essentially became a comedy team.

Last edited:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
This is at least the third thread I've seen in the last year or so about Carlton being the realest character on the show. And they all bring up the same points. :mjlol:

What I find interesting is how many posters love Carlton but hate Will. If Fresh Prince came out today, everybody would be calling Carlton a c00n. :dead:
As pointed out in that fraternity pledging episode.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
I think these three major event made good girls start liking knuckleheads in this order.

1. Whitney Houston dating Bobby Brown in 1989, which suppose had been a step down for her. And it was, especially during this time. Whitney was in high school near the end of the Funk Mob generation.
2. The airing of Fresh Prince in 1991, with Will being the player from the hood, and Carl being the "to good for the hood" type. That's how I viewed it anyway.
3. They put the icing on the cake with the Martin Show, with good girl Gina from a mid-upper class neighborhood, hooking up with Martin, who had the character of a knucklehead still living in the hood in Landover, MD, where he grew up.

Before all this, girls where supposed to be into bookworms believe it or not. Just listen to the old school rap song "Roxanne". Check out the verse when she said "not all girls want to be involved with bookworms". The world sure changed since those days. And I thought it was already crazy back then, with all the crack cocaine, and pcp. I guess my generation didn't leave much of an example when I think back. Actually, I'm a tail end baby boomer like Whitney was. The 80's was the beginning of Generation X, which meant that your future was X'ed out. That's where the name came from, although they try to color it up today.

But I never thought I'd see the day when Carlton would be uplifted over Will. But this is the coli. Then again, I guess his type always was uplifted in real life, knowing the prettiest girls always go for the filthy rich guys. The only way a brother with no talent could get filthy rich was to sell drugs. And all that did was give the undertakers big business. That drug money also got a lot of sisters liking knuckleheads.

Last edited:

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
He checked that dusty hotep that tried to question his blackness

I remember that episode. Not really. I just saw it posted before. Maybe here on the coli. Yes Carlton set him straight, and I agree a lot of brothers need to be told that some times. But let's be honest, no brother is going to make that much of a fuss about Carlton dancing at a party and enjoying himself like that. That brother would instead be suggesting Will teach him some Black dances later on. That would have been the end of that. And no brother is going to be dancing like the way Carlyon was dancing, not at no Black party. I went to a prominent PWI, and never even saw that, unless the brother was mocking White people.

Last edited: