Carb cycling unappreciation thread.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
So phase one consists of low carbs, very low sugar, low fat, low protein, low calories. Low everything basically. For the first 3 weeks I will only eat the following

- salad with cheese and low carb dressing.
- A raw spinach/diet green tea smoothie
- Cheddar cheese
- Grilled Chicken
- Muscle Milk protein shake (the gluten free one)
- Water
- I also take a daily multivitamin
I do light work outs but nothing big. In this phase I will lose about 15 to 20 lbs. Weight loss is the goal obviously and actually seeing results is positive reinforcement but the two main reasons why I do it is

- Learn to control cravings. I want to eat healthy all the time now. So in shocking my body, I will naturally crave for sugar and carbs to feel satisfied. This will allow me to mentally control that.
- Creating work out habits. Energy is low but I still do small work outs to maintain a certain level of strength and burn a few calories, but the main reason why I do it is so that I push through that barrier of working out under stress.

Phase 1 is 3 weeks but if i'm not satisfied I will stay on it longer. I track my weight daily. I don't count carbs or calories. never have. I basically portion my meals and spread them out depending on how I feel. If i'm not hungry I don't eat. If I start to feel weak I eat. On average I eat like 5 to 6 times a day.

I call this phase destroy because while I'm losing fat, i'm losing muscle mass as well. No fukks given because my goal isn't to build anything. It's to lose as much as possible while learning to control cravings, developing good eating and work out habits under stressful conditions.

I will discuss my phase 2 when I get to that point.

Daps
Yes, but not severe problems because as my weight grew I set a very specific number and promised myself if I ever hit that number I would immediately change my lifestyle. The day I hit that number on the scale is the day I cleaned out my pantry and did my first set of pushups in years.

I worked retail for 6 years after school so the constant walking and lifting kept me from getting out hand too quickly even though I overate constantly.

I asked this because for those that have struggled with their weight for the majority of their lives (like me), it's not as simple as just counting calories. Like I said before, I was in a calorie deficit, but I was stalled until I changed my macros. I'm not totally disputing all you've been saying, I'm just saying it's not as simple as you're explaining it.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
So phase one consists of low carbs, very low sugar, low fat, low protein, low calories. Low everything basically. For the first 3 weeks I will only eat the following

- salad with cheese and low carb dressing.
- A raw spinach/diet green tea smoothie
- Cheddar cheese
- Grilled Chicken
- Muscle Milk protein shake (the gluten free one)
- Water
- I also take a daily multivitamin
I do light work outs but nothing big. In this phase I will lose about 15 to 20 lbs. Weight loss is the goal obviously and actually seeing results is positive reinforcement but the two main reasons why I do it is

- Learn to control cravings. I want to eat healthy all the time now. So in shocking my body, I will naturally crave for sugar and carbs to feel satisfied. This will allow me to mentally control that.
- Creating work out habits. Energy is low but I still do small work outs to maintain a certain level of strength and burn a few calories, but the main reason why I do it is so that I push through that barrier of working out under stress.

Phase 1 is 3 weeks but if i'm not satisfied I will stay on it longer. I track my weight daily. I don't count carbs or calories. never have. I basically portion my meals and spread them out depending on how I feel. If i'm not hungry I don't eat. If I start to feel weak I eat. On average I eat like 5 to 6 times a day.

I call this phase destroy because while I'm losing fat, i'm losing muscle mass as well. No fukks given because my goal isn't to build anything. It's to lose as much as possible while learning to control cravings, developing good eating and work out habits under stressful conditions.

I will discuss my phase 2 when I get to that point.
What is the long term goal?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I asked this because for those that have struggled with their weight for the majority of their lives (like me), it's not as simple as just counting calories. Like I said before, I was in a calorie deficit, but I was stalled until I changed my macros. I'm not totally disputing all you've been saying, I'm just saying it's not as simple as you're explaining it.

*Sorry for the extra long essay below, but please read it because it is important and I shouldn't have to keep explaining this*

To be blunt and unfortunately dismissive of the way you are perceiving your own personal experience, the bolded part is wrong. There is no way you were in a calorie deficit and not losing weight (other than with water retention which is just short term). I don't think you really are understanding that this is not a debate, it is a scientific fact. If you weren't losing weight, it means you were not in a calorie deficit. It is not possible to retain all of your mass if your body has a negative energy intake.

Explain to me how your heart can pump blood, how your lungs can breathe air, how you can talk and walk around if your body does not have an energy source to feed from? If your body has used up all of the energy from recent calorie intake, it has no choice but to dip into your body's mass and convert it to an alternate energy source. What you are describing above in bold is literally against all science, logic, biology, and physics known to man. What you are describing is literally a supernatural phenomena, unless of course you are a plant or an photosynthetic organism and get your energy from sunlight.

The are two possible reasons for your stalled weight loss. Either you were calculating your calorie intake wrong (probably not the case) or you were estimating your calorie output wrong (almost undoubtedly the issue). You were relying on either a universal mathematical equation for calculating metabolism which doesn't account for differences in the individual, or you were relying on past personal experience for what calorie intake resulted in weight loss for you personally, which doesn't account for changes in metabolism over time due to a calorie restricted diet.

This is why I hate the phrase "everybody is different" even though it is a correct phrase. It is a cheap cop-out that latches onto relatively insignificant differences in our bodies and brushes aside universal truths that get to the heart of the matter directly, i.e. positive and negative energy balance and how it affects weight loss and weight gain.

So to get back to your personal experience, what most likely was happening is your body was starved due to your calorie restriction and your metabolism slowed down to a crawl and you adapted to your new normal calorie intake (1600). 1600 became your new "maintenance" number, rather than your "deficit" number.

You might respond to that by saying that you were still at 1600 when you changed your macros and your weight loss jumpstarted again. And I would respond to that by saying of course it did, because of the thermic effect of food. By changing from easily digestible energy sources (carbs) to difficult to digest energy sources (fats and especially proteins), your body actually had to use more energy than it was used to just to digest the food. The thermic effect of food is a well established piece of the puzzle for calculating our body's metabolic rate. And it is a factor that universal equations can not possibly hope to account for. You essentially jump started your own metabolism by taking advantage of known biological facts, even if you didn't realize that was what you were doing.

Furthermore........and this is just a guess.....but I would venture to say that once you took the steps to change your macros, it was probably part of some sort of "re-dedication" plan to losing weight. You probably were in a funk where you were doing the same thing every day and seeing no results, and you re-dedicated yourself by switching up your diet and your physical activity. Now, that is just an assumption and you may dispute that, but even if my assumption is incorrect it doesn't change everything else I said above.

You know what I would have suggest to you back then before you changed your macros? I would have suggested that you INCREASE your daily calorie intake to 2100 for a few weeks then drop back down to 1600. This could have jumpstarted your starved metabolism in the same way that changing your macros did. And it wouldn't have had to come at the expense of carbohydrates....you may have even had better workouts due to increased energy levels and might have seen fat start melting away again even at the 2100 number, before you dropped back down to 1600. I can back this up with numerous anecdotal stories including my own personal experience. At the end of my inital weight loss journey I had been down to 1800 calories per day and was stalled, just like you. After a few weeks of dreading dropping below 1800, I decided to bump up to 2000 for a week then 2200 the next week. Over those two weeks, I started losing weight again despite my calorie increase. Unfortunately my personal anecdotal evidence stops after those two weeks because then I started on an EC stack and clouded my results.

The last thing I want to point out is the issue you have we me stating how 'simple' it is and you countering that you have struggled and it really isn't that simple. The truth is, we are both right. We are just using different meanings of simplicity. For me, the science is simple. Calories in vs. calories out. Boom, easy, done. But the actual practice of correctly doing calories in vs. calories out is more complicated, which I agree with you on.

One major reason for this is that calculating calories out is incredibly difficult and evolving daily, so it is never an exact science. Changes in metabolism and daily physical activity mean that it is not a linear equation, and adjustments over time must be made. Sometimes this involves dropping calories further, sometimes increasing physical activity, and sometimes increasing calories temporarily to jump start metabolism

The second major reason for the difficulty is psychological. You can search and search, but you will find exactly zero clinically controlled, calorie controlled studies of weight loss in which a caloric deficit didn't result in loss. Any study you will ever find that would negate the idea of calories being key will always have the caveat of relying on the person being studied to follow a prescribed method for weight loss. And unfortunately, the human psyche is an incredibly fragile thing. This is why I push the psychological aspect of weight loss so hard on this forum (and a simplistic, long term, maintainable calorie counting approach). We are fickle people, and we are constantly bombarded with misinformation that clouds our understanding of what should be clear issues. We are hit with "this is the correct way" advice from people who have a financial stake in you doing things their way. Furthermore, the main problem in weight gain--overeating--is so directly tied to psychology that it must be explored (depression, stress, boredom, apathy).

If someone would like to dispute any of the stuff I have just posted I would love to hear clear, concise reasoning for it. Ideally, including links to properly controlled studies that dispute any of my points. Or at least some well thought out logic.

Last edited:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
you become a completely miserable when cycling carbs, try adding in more complex carbs to help fill you like oats, sweet potatoes and brown rice.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I think it's safe to say you both don't agree and we can all kept it moving......
Not this time. I'm posting well reasoned and supported arguments and being met with resistance on multiple occasions in multiple threads from someone who has been challenged to show me why I am wrong and instead chooses to disappear from the conversation. The agree to disagree mantra doesn't work here, this isn't a debate about the greatest rapper of all time or what city makes the best pizza
Yea, I'm not reading all that no offense. :manny:

If you choose to start a debate, and then bow out when presented with an argument against you without even having the courtesy of reading it, please do me a favor and never quote or dispute any of my posts again no matter how much to disagree with them. The willful ignorance of not reading what I said is astounding. How can you expect to gain knowledge when you choose to avoid it? How can you speak negatively on a topic without an understanding of the topic? I guess this means you didn't read my response to your similar line of criticism in that other thread where I actually went as far as to break down a scientific study about carb sources. And I'm apparently just wasting my time, talking to a brick wall with a mouth and no ears.

Being ignorant, confused, or incorrect is not a crime. If I am any of those things, then so be it. But I will never choose to be ignorant. And you shouldn't either.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
@Adam3000 I feel what u are saying but this is not the medium for essays. Plus, dieting gets tough. When your body is dipping into fat stores for energy it thinks you're starving so it's gonna put you in a "fukk everything" mood sometimes. I agree though that if you are not losing weight over a long period of time you are doing it wrong.

@Ethnic Vagina Finder you have the right attitude but the wrong approach. You def need to be more precise, and figure out what kind of protein/carb/fat balance will work best for you. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a ton of protein. I've read ~.75g/lb body weight. You also don't need a ton of fat either. For a breh your size maybe ~50-60g tops. Then fill the rest of what you need with carbs. For the carbs you have to use low density foods. I have trouble putting down more than 400 calories of any of the following... Cream of Wheat, oatmeal, potatoes, whole wheat bread etc. You also def have to know your calorie intake and weigh foods/keep track of macros.

Finally, sometimes if you stall too long, you have to go to maintenance mode and get your body back in gear. I have this shyt bookmarked.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Good luck

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
Not this time. I'm posting well reasoned and supported arguments and being met with resistance on multiple occasions in multiple threads from someone who has been challenged to show me why I am wrong and instead chooses to disappear from the conversation. The agree to disagree mantra doesn't work here, this isn't a debate about the greatest rapper of all time or what city makes the best pizza

If you choose to start a debate, and then bow out when presented with an argument against you without even having the courtesy of reading it, please do me a favor and never quote or dispute any of my posts again no matter how much to disagree with them. The willful ignorance of not reading what I said is astounding. How can you expect to gain knowledge when you choose to avoid it? How can you speak negatively on a topic without an understanding of the topic? I guess this means you didn't read my response to your similar line of criticism in that other thread where I actually went as far as to break down a scientific study about carb sources. And I'm apparently just wasting my time, talking to a brick wall with a mouth and no ears.

Being ignorant, confused, or incorrect is not a crime. If I am any of those things, then so be it. But I will never choose to be ignorant. And you shouldn't either.

yeah his response was just disrespectful. your post was very informative and even though I don't have any of the problems in this thread, i learned a few things.

people on a message board that can't read one long post but can spend hours reading multiple smaller posts doesn't make much sense. he probably did read it but didn't want to admit that your post was accurate.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I think ppl put way to much thinking and nonsense when it comes to losing weight. there are so many different fad diets and "professionals" and "experts" telling you what you need to lose weight and how to do it.
when in reality its the most simplest hing in the world(the theory behind it, not necessarily the practice of it)

you will lose weight GUARANTEED if the amount of calories you consume are LOWER than what your body requires.

that is it!! no more to worry about

the problem when ppl say they aren't losing weight is 2 things
first, they didn't correctly measure how many calories their body actually needs in a day
and second, they don't correctly count calories

that means you can eat a big mac meal and a snickers bar every day and you will lose weight.(assuming thats ALL you eat in that day)

Now, saying this there are some other important factors to consider. if you are "cutting" which means you are trying to just lose fat and maintain/build muscle then having a bad diet of a big mac meal and a snickers bar won't cut it.
you will need to have a highter protein count to help prevent your muscles from being "cannibalized" during the cut and only focus on fat. (while continuing to workout)

It is also False that you CAN'T gain strength or muscle while cutting. you just have to eat the right foods and keep working out.

I also don't believe that you need to eat TOO much protein, some ppl over do it eating hundreds of grams of protein a day.

I eat about 100 grams a day and have never had any problems

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I think ppl put way to much thinking and nonsense when it comes to losing weight. there are so many different fad diets and "professionals" and "experts" telling you what you need to lose weight and how to do it.
when in reality its the most simplest hing in the world(the theory behind it, not necessarily the practice of it)

you will lose weight GUARANTEED if the amount of calories you consume are LOWER than what your body requires.

that is it!! no more to worry about

the problem when ppl say they aren't losing weight is 2 things
first, they didn't correctly measure how many calories their body actually needs in a day
and second, they don't correctly count calories

that means you can eat a big mac meal and a snickers bar every day and you will lose weight.(assuming thats ALL you eat in that day)

Now, saying this there are some other important factors to consider. if you are "cutting" which means you are trying to just lose fat and maintain/build muscle then having a bad diet of a big mac meal and a snickers bar won't cut it.
you will need to have a highter protein count to help prevent your muscles from being "cannibalized" during the cut and only focus on fat. (while continuing to workout)

It is also False that you CAN'T gain strength or muscle while cutting. you just have to eat the right foods and keep working out.

I also don't believe that you need to eat TOO much protein, some ppl over do it eating hundreds of grams of protein a day.

I eat about 100 grams a day and have never had any problems

Unless you haven't lifted before that's pretty damn true.

Bledswole

Slappin and clowning chumps for fun.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I started at 260 in the middle of February. I wasn't taking my diet as seriously as I was lifting so I wasn't dropping much weight. So I started carb cycling 2 weeks ago. Today i'm at 238. Basically I restrict my carb intake during the week, then load up on healthy carbs 1 to 2 days. I guess i'm tricking my body into burning fat. So far its working but gotdam the shyt aint easy :sadcam: I be grouchy as hell during the week, including today. I work out everyday still, not to gain muscle but to maintain/increase strength. I'm trying to get down to 198 by August. It sucks because once I do hit that number, i'm gonna have to change my eating habits for a long time to maintain that weight until my body adjusts permanently.

Yea going on a real cut is difficult everyone says the same thing "they are grouchy alot"

Rather be a buff ripped up grouchy muthafukka than a fat ass tho:umad:

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Unless you haven't lifted before that's pretty damn true.
yea...kinda.
I mean dude is a beginner so he's gonna get gains.

you ain't gonna get nothing if your body fat is already low though. but 15% or more you should still be able to get some gains with your cut.