Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Study link? I believe you WFH 100% got me so at peace!!

"JS1: Longer commute times reduce job satisfaction. We found that job satisfaction decreases with the amount of time spent travelling to work (every extra 10 minutes (each way) reduces job satisfaction by 0.008 points on the 7-point scale). It increases with salary and with certain job roles (self-employed and manager) and decreases when working long hours (over 40 hours per week). An additional 10 minutes (each way) of commuting time is associated with the equivalent effect on job satisfaction as a 19% reduction in gross personal income, i.e. a loss of £4,080 per annum for someone earning the sample median income of £21,600 per annumiv."

When just 10 minutes of extra commuting time each way is as bad as a 19% reduction in salary, factor that out to what an hour of commuting will do.

DonFrancisco

Your Favorite Tio!
Daps
Reppin
Sabado Gigante
They mention Houston, but a lot of people want that car AC when summer hits. This is a swamp.

I would say that the lack of walkability or even reliable public transit is one of my main issues with this city.
As someone who is car lite in Houston here is what I've done in the summer:

1) I schedule my day from 6-2pm and 7-11pm. Even when I drove full time, the heat was bad even in a car but that is due to the greenhouse effect. Glass traps heat and no amount of AC can stop that. Even in a car I avoided going out from 2-7pm

2) all Metro buses have bike racks. You are correct but it takes 5-10 mins to get to the stop, put your bike on the rack, and then take 5-10 mins to going to work. You can also mix your modes of transportation between Metro and Uber.

3) During rain events is when it sucks but it sucks even when you drive. I've lost a car to flooding and had to go 1-2 months to have the insurance write me a check for it. It was liability so I had to get a rental with my own money. This when I started to go car-lite

Since taking this lifestyle I've gone from 2 years driving 55,000 miles to 3 years driving 25,000 miles.

DonFrancisco

Your Favorite Tio!
Daps
Reppin
Sabado Gigante
"The majority of Americans want to live in car-free neighborhoods,” said Ryan Johnson, co-founder and chief executive officer of Culdesac.

:mjlol:

I've done it in Houston. It is a game changer and it does make your life easier overall.

You save time because you aren't allocating 2 hours of your day to work out because you need to hit 10k steps. It is already met by the time your time with your chores for the day

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Public transportation for the eyes of many, is a symbol of poverty and drama on some Worldstar Hip-hop fukkery of fighting with strangers. It will take a few more generations to kill that stigma of public transportation and sharing it with other people.
That's American culture for you.

“The majority of Americans want to live in car-free neighborhoods,”
FALSE

Majority of Americans want the option
to go car free.
Most people do not want the option of having a car taken away from them. Big difference.
facts. option is better. in dc I'd walk/train/bus/bike everywhere I needed during the week. Only used my car on weekends to go visit my folks in the burbs

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
if a city doesn't have much of a livable walking space for a pedestrian lifestyle it's not a city worth living in for me personally

that aspect of cities brings life around. driving only cities breed a suburban style lifestyle. walking is party of big city culture. public transit is part of that equation.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I've done it in Houston. It is a game changer and it does make your life easier overall.

You save time because you aren't allocating 2 hours of your day to work out because you need to hit 10k steps. It is already met by the time your time with your chores for the day
In Houston this would seem like a challenge :patrice:
What part were you in, to me Houston is too spread out to be carless

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H

I wouldn't recommend it here
I don't even use bike lanes when I ride
They'll turn you into a ghost bike quick

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
I WFH and my job offers a year long bus pass at a discount. I still WANT a car when I get more money, but it's really only needed for errands and weekends

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The more I see garbage logic like this, the more I hate city living

It makes no sense, no land, no mobility, that's not a decent way to live

You're SOLELY dependent on a system to feed you and move you around with ZERO control.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
The more I see garbage logic like this, the more I hate city living

It makes no sense, no land, no mobility, that's not a decent way to live

You're SOLELY dependent on a system to feed you and move you around with ZERO control.

that garbage logic is how people around the world have basically lived for thousands of years.

did you read the articles or watch the videos, people have plenty of mobility with the train, bus and bikes. there are even a few parking spaces but they purposely didn't allocate parking for all residents.

what purpose do you suppose they'd use the land for? the vast majority of americans do not grow their own food, they have different types of spaces in the courtyards for their residents. it's more than a decent way to live as proven by the fact that it's more sustainable than any other alternative.

everyone who doesn't grow their your own food all year around is dependent on a system to feed them. these people can walk out their front door a hundred or so feet steps and can be right outside out a eatery or grocery store.

oWtI0Yh.png

UyYH2uB.png

some free bus transportation from 6am-9:45pm(every 15 mins) if you wanna get around the locol area. I guess after 9:45pm your mobility is limited to a taxi, a bike, a train assuming it runs after 9:45pm , maybe a car you have parked elsewhere and also your legs.

The Orbit is a great transit option for going somewhere outside of walking or biking distance in Tempe. Want a quick and free way to get from Culdesac to Mill Ave? Hop on the Orbit bus, and it’ll take you where you want to go!

628ba5c2af60844f38441888_Betterorbitpic.jpg

What is the Orbit bus?​

The Tempe neighborhood circulator bus, known endearingly as the Tempe Orbit, is a free and friendly way to get around town. As the name suggests, the Orbit bus circulates throughout Tempe and connects neighborhoods to downtown Tempe, other transit options, and retail hubs like Tempe Marketplace.

Last edited: