Candid Tua Tagovailoa calls out Brian Flores for coaching style

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
"To put it in simplest terms, if you woke up every morning and I told you [that] you suck at what you did, that you don't belong doing what you do, that you shouldn't be here, that this guy should be here, that you haven't earned this right, and then you have somebody else come in and tell you, 'Dude, you are the best fit for this,'" he said in the interview. "How would it make you feel listening to one or the other, you see what I'm saying?

"And then you hear it, no matter what it is, the good or the bad, you hear it more and more, you start to believe that. I don't care who you are. You could be the president of the United States, you have a terrible person telling you things that you don't want to hear or probably shouldn't be hearing, you're going to start believing that about yourself. And so that's what sort of ended up happening. It was, it's basically been what two years of training that out of not just me but a couple of guys as well that have been here my rookie year all the way until now."

During his rookie season in 2020, Tagovailoa was replaced twice in the fourth quarter of games by veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick. Then, in 2021, there was speculation the Dolphins were interested in trading for quarterback Deshaun Watson.

The Dolphins fired Flores after the 2021 season, replacing him with McDaniel in 2022.

In his first season under McDaniel, Tagovailoa threw for 3,548 yards and 25 touchdowns despite missing four games due to multiple concussions. Last season, he led the NFL with 4,624 passing yards, threw for a career-best 29 touchdowns and earned his first Pro Bowl selection.

"I think for me, especially right now, I'm so laser focused into what this locker room needs and this particular set of circumstances that it's hard for me to kind of really appropriately assess that it feels like, I think it almost -- I'm not spending much time patting myself on the back for much," McDaniel said Monday.

"I think there's a lot of players that have grown since I've been here, and that growth is all that I care about, and the inherent growth that they've already had. I'm just really focused on pushing guys to be their best selves or the best version of themselves and reach new heights, and that's got me plenty occupied. I don't really have time to reflect like that. So, what does that mean? Today's awesome."

Tagovailoa has largely declined to comment on the nature of his relationship with Flores since the former head coach was fired in January 2022. Three months after Flores was fired, the quarterback was asked specifically what he would consider their relationship to be.

"You could be the president of the United States, you have a terrible person telling you things that you don't want to hear or probably shouldn't be hearing, you're going to start believing that about yourself. And so that's what sort of ended up happening."
i

Tua Tagovailoa, on his experience with Brian Flores
"That's a big question," Tagovailoa said. "Well, I'll tell you this. I'm very thankful that he drafted me to come here to play for the Miami Dolphins. That's what I'd say."

The Dolphins have faced Flores only once since his departure -- a 16-10 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022 when Flores was the Steelers' linebackers coach.

After that game, Tagovailoa was asked whether he spoke to Flores; his answer was terse.

"Nope," he responded.

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tua grew up with a father who whooped his ass for failure and was coached by Saban. I don't think this is a toughness issue.

Let's also keep in mind Minkah Fitzpatrick, another Saban guy had issues with Flores and asked to be traded. I don't recall him having issues with the Steelers coaching staff, who Flo ended up being a part of. (Steelers fans can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Flores also could not maintain his coaching staff. Apparently he rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. Part of successful employment is maintaining relationships and word is Flores was NOT good at that according to folks in South Florida.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
He's the vikings DC but he thought he can do that Belichick shyt and it backfired

Belly got the woat coaching tree in the history of the league
It's like all these cats under :beli: try to emulate him but have no idea why he's actually successful. From everyone you speak to, he's actually really good at reaching the players and is quite personable, the media stuff is all a facade.

Those goofballs like Patricia, McDaniels and Judge were the fukking worst

SuperNintendo Chalmers

Send it to the friggin moon idiot
Daps
Reppin
My goddamn self. Shout out to my real Africans
That type of shyt is why Latrell Sprewell choked the shyt out of that CAC back in the day.

These are grown-ass men you are talking to. fukk outta here with that. As a coach, you need to know your personnel and develop relationships with your players. If you show care and concern, they will at least respect you enough to hear you out and work with you.

DonB90

Superstar
Daps
Flores is a great defensive coach. Not head coach material.

Also Tua ain't franchise qb material. Noodle arm that is surrounded by great offensive players.....So it is what it is

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Tua grew up with a father who whooped his ass for failure and was coached by Saban. I don't think this is a toughness issue.

Let's also keep in mind Minkah Fitzpatrick, another Saban guy had issues with Flores and asked to be traded. I don't recall him having issues with the Steelers coaching staff, who Flo ended up being a part of. (Steelers fans can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Flores also could not maintain his coaching staff. Apparently he rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. Part of successful employment is maintaining relationships and word is Flores was NOT good at that according to folks in South Florida.
Tua started balling out after Flores left. That's all you need to know