Can A 30-55 Yr Old Rapper/Singer Still Make It In The Industry?

Solomon Lurke

My Boys Dey Be Lurkin...
Daps
Reppin
The Shadows
Would need to define what that means a little more. I don’t think they could “blow up” per se but with the right strategies they could definitely turn their hobby into a positive stream of income. May only be a few thousand people but it’s possible to monetize that in a successful way. No rapper I knew that didn’t make it never really stops rapping so why not try. I’m just always perplexed by people constantly making music but never trying to release it, but that goes back to getting a better grasp on expectations.

BandOfGypsys

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MD
If you sound half your age sure...
Right if you act and dress younger than your age people probably won't Google you. Somebody 30-33 can look younger especially if they carry themselves that way. Imagine if JID just came out now? Would you believe or even care he was 33? I wouldn't so it's definitely possible.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
No, not the industry industry.

Indie scene you could eat good tho, but you gotta work like at a Roc Marciano/Freddie Gibbs/Griselda/Curren$y level. Meaning a whole lot of fukking touring and merch.
At best youll probably top out at like a Lupe Fiasco/MF Doom level of fame :manny:

Im using mostly underground lyricist as examples btw cause nobody is trying to hear a 35+ drill rapper/drug lord :scusthov:

If you're a singer, same business model but switch out vulgar, Chris Brown/Jacquees RnB-Rap hybrid music for some Neo-Soul/arte nouveau vibes.

If you can foster a cult following made up of :flabbynsick:, elitist music snobs and weird kids you good :blessed:

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
There is no “blowing up”.

If you’re 30+ with a wife, kids, a full time job and you’ve NEVER submitted tracks to major DSP’s, pitched your singles to playlist curators, networked/collabed with people in the industry or get booked for shows, you’re just a hobbyist and you’ll never go anywhere or make money off music.

Stick to your day job if you’re not willing to grind and give up everything for a shot. :yeshrug:
You a hater

Don Snow

All Star
Daps
If you nice you nice :manny:

most people just get to a certain age and give up with the way the internet is now there’s no point in quitting now just keep building that fan base :ehh:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Right if you act and dress younger than your age people probably won't Google you. Somebody 30-33 can look younger especially if they carry themselves that way. Imagine if JID just came out now? Would you believe or even care he was 33? I wouldn't so it's definitely possible.
You wouldn't care because you're probably in his age range. When I said "sound" it's not only literal sound, but content. I dealt with this when I was rapping. On top of realizing the "pay off" was overtaking the love of expression, I realized that at some point my rising age and subject matter combined would be a glass ceiling.

College aged kids ain't really tryna hear a 28-32 y/o being introspective/critical on aspects of the very culture they're all a part of. 2 Chainz with Cole/Kendrick subject matter doesn't blow up at 35.