By coli standards, is Booker T Washington a c00n?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Black people need to stop pushing this divisive narrative between BTW and Du Bois. They had differing viewpoints at a time when there wasn't much historical context and information like we have now. They both were for the advancement of black people.

But Du Bois insulted and called out Washington. It makes sense to analyze the division between them.

DynamoEAR

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston/ATL
Black people need to stop pushing this divisive narrative between BTW and Du Bois. They had differing viewpoints at a time when there wasn't much historical context and information like we have now. They both were for the advancement of black people.
Dubois said some "c00n" stuff about black people too.:patrice:

The first and greatest step toward the settlement of the present friction between the races—commonly called the Negro problem—lies in the correction of the immorality, crime, and laziness among the Negroes themselves, which still remains as a heritage from slavery.”

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I understand his belief of accepting the position and trying to start learning skills that can help in the moment but his writing sounds way too open ended for his forgiveness and damn near thankfulness of white people. he's out here saying that blacks should work to get equality, i can't get with that. seems like he has an inferiority complex to some extent

The bolded leads me to believe you're not really following his point. It's not about gaining skills that help in the moment, it's about learning and operating trades that didn't require a formal education (90% of blacks were uneducated at the time) so we have an economic foundation that allows us to comfortably invest in the education and development of our children.

The main flaw in his argument was his assumption that whites would spend money with us if we operated businesses that manufactured wares and materials they needed. It was a lot simpler for them to re-enslave us via sharecropping and prison labor and keep the money for themselves. Eventually he learned as much when he saw Jim Crow arise in the South... Rich white people couldn't picture life without free labor and poor white people couldn't picture life without a permanent whipping boy :wow:

GhostoftheMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Straight Outta Homeworld
Like which ones? And how was he sounding wild at the particular moment in time?

To me he has the "pick yourself up by the bootstrap" kind of thinking which is the right idea but to me he seems to be a bit too open armed to white people. I think it was from "Up from Slavery" he talks bout how blacks should earn and work for right. I find him to be too optimistic and capitalistic when majority of black people during this time aren't going to be able to just "rise up" when obviously people were trying to work against black upliftment. granted this is how i see it

GhostoftheMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Straight Outta Homeworld
The bolded leads me to believe you're not really following his point. It's not about gaining skills that help in the moment, it's about learning and operating trades that didn't require a formal education (90% of blacks were uneducated at the time) so we have an economic foundation that allows us to comfortably invest in the education and development of our children.

The main flaw in his argument was his assumption that whites would spend money with us if we operated businesses that manufactured wares and materials they needed. It was a lot simpler for them to re-enslave us via sharecropping and prison labor and keep the money for themselves. Eventually he learned as much when he saw Jim Crow arise in the South... Rich white people couldn't picture life without free labor and poor white people couldn't picture life without a permanent whipping boy :wow:

you can't build if the system is working against you and making laws to stop you from building. i think he had the right idea but from what i've read he's not being firm on how the laws are going to make his beliefs unreachable for most. I think there should've been more emphasis on that.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
you can't build if the system is working against you and making laws to stop you from building. i think he had the right idea but from what i've read he's not being firm on how the laws are going to make his beliefs unreachable for most. I think there should've been more emphasis on that.

You can't also forget that Booker T. Washington main goal was to get Whites to employ Black people as a work force if Blacks got the necessary skills...

He got rich whites to fund schools and shyt as long as nikkas stayed second class citizens...ready to be under the foot of the White man....led by the good nigra...everything was gonna be good.

Booker T. Washington was a dangerous nikka and WEB Dubois was right to call him out because if Booker T. Washington had his way, the Civil Rights Movement started by Dubois would've never happened.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Actually, they will

Not really. Selling goods is all about the perceived value of the goods... The reality is our goods are perceived as inferior because we're perceived as inferior. One of the very few industries we realistically could have taken over without taking a beating from consumer bias is agriculture. At the end of the day though white folks liked the plantation model (in this case sharecropping) where they let someone else toil while they reap the profits... We were in the fields doing all of the labor but the fields belonged to them. They'd sooner burn the fields that we did own than watch us corner a market we had a realistic chance of cornering. Defending your property from sabotage was a lost cause... If they successfully destroyed your property you'd never get a penny of it back through the courts anyway. They didn't recognize us as people to begin with.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Honkey don't deal in perception when it comes to economics and capitalism

I know what you're trying to say but they in fact do deal in perception and especially as consumers. Perception blinds them even while doing business though unless your product is somehow already proven to be marketable to white people. Rap is a perfect example... White execs who could have gotten in on the ground floor in the 70s largely avoided the genre because from their point of view, pushing a genre that was at the time almost exclusively followed by black people would taint their brand in the eyes of the mainstream white audience they wanted. As soon as they realized white youth were eating it up even more than we were though they all wanted in.