Buying digital games has become game preservation for me.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Been gaming for almost 30 years. Have had countless games and systems. Where any of that is now? I have no idea.

Ive never been a responsible collector, I have sold/lost/damaged pretty much every game I’ve ever owned.

That was until I started buying digital games. Right now I still have access the the first digital game I purchased almost 15 years ago, and every one sense.

So going forward when I buy games this is most important to me. I imagine a time when I can pass my account off to my kids/grandkids and they will have decades worth of games to play. Kinda like my own time capsule.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Been gaming for almost 30 years. Have had countless games and systems. Where any of that is now? I have no idea.

Ive never been a responsible collector, I have sold/lost/damaged pretty much every game I’ve ever owned.

That was until I started buying digital games. Right now I still have access the the first digital game I purchased almost 15 years ago, and every one sense.

So going forward when I buy games this is most important to me. I imagine a time when I can pass my account off to my kids/grandkids and they will have decades worth of games to play. Kinda like my own time capsule.

:patrice:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
There are pros and cons on both sides of the digital/disc debate. There really are no wrong answers…just do what makes you most happy.

I have a hybrid approach. I buy big games disc…so that I can trade them back in for other big game releases. I buy smaller, indie games digital. Except for a few pivotal games, I don’t got back and play old games very often.

My approach works for me…it may not work for you. The good thing is that we have options now…disc vs digital… and I hope that it stays that way.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I can see this on steam and maybe Xbox but I've largely done with physical. I know down the road, I'm likely to have to pay more for consoles or add one to consoles that requires disc access for backwards compatibility.

The platform is key here. I wouldn't trust Nintendo with this for example.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
. I imagine a time when I can pass my account off to my kids/grandkids and they will have decades worth of games to play. Kinda like my own time capsule.
Would be great if there were a way to “transfer titles” to another account. But you know that system would be abused like a motherfukker…
:martin:

Maybe the title can only be transferred once every five years or something…

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Piracy is the real game preservation, imagine how many games would be lost forever if it wasn't for pirates...

Crazy story, very recent too

I got the urge to play Split Second on PC. I bought the game many moons ago on Amazon. I have the 360 version as well but I read that there was a 60fps patch released a few years ago that I wanted to try.

The problem was that this game needs to contact securom servers to authenticate. They no longer exist so unless you have the game installed before the servers went offline, you are sol forever.

I reached out to Disney, asking if there was a remedy for both this and Pure, told in a nice way to kick rocks. There is a no-CD exe of both games out there but the problem for split second specifically is that it is for version 1.0 and while I can download Spilt Second from Amazon still, it is version 1.x. I said fukk it, went to hit up some torrent sites found the game, downloaded it, finally got it working. Next day, wake up with a DMCA notice in my email from Comcast.

:russ::deadmanny:

Brehs, I got knocked for pirating a game I fukking own. However if that way didn’t exist, it'd be a game lost to time.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I don't really understand this thread and angle considering that we just recently had Sony and Nintendo shyt on digital collectors very recently and basically said "fukk game preservation"

M$ is doing it the best right now but even they can't translate games across gens like that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Would be great if there were a way to “transfer titles” to another account. But you know that system would be abused like a motherfukker…
:martin:

Maybe the title can only be transferred once every five years or something…
I’m sure that’s in the cards in some way.

Once they truly get rid of discs, they are gonna have to offer some extra transfer/preservation options.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
I don’t fukk with digital Nintendo at all unless it’s an indie title. Ain’t no preservation with those people. I’m like 99% digital on Xbox at this point. For PlayStation it’s probably like a hybrid approach. Marquee PS titles I still tend to buy physically. I’m still tight about my PS3 collection that I’m locked out from.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don't really understand this thread and angle considering that we just recently had Sony and Nintendo shyt on digital collectors very recently and basically said "fukk game preservation"

M$ is doing it the best right now but even they can't translate games across gens like that.
Didn’t want to make it a console wars thread but Microsoft ain’t doing bullshyt like that. They are the ones trying to push digital gaming options into the future.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend buying digital games on Sony or Nintendo platforms until/unless they fix their shyt. Especially Nintendo.

I purchased geometry wars as my first digital game ever, way back on Xbox 360. I can download and play that game picking up exactly where I left off at on practically any internet connected device on earth right now.

It’s actually crazy when you put it that way. Im confident Microsoft will preserve my ownership into the future.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Piracy is the real game preservation, imagine how many games would be lost forever if it wasn't for pirates...
Yes and no. With how much games change and evolve and rely on the internet these days Piracy can’t really do the job of preservation like it’s done in the past.