British Nigerians vs Nigerian Americans

RehReh

KasGoinJail 💀
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
That Patois originates from the Caribbean or different parts of Africa, it's not "British black culture"
Nah bruv

It's black English vernacular that originated on the streets of London, taken from East end cockney rhyming slang and mixed with patois and pidgin

No one in the islands or the continent speaks how we do

Only those weird Canadians (respectfully) doing some rebore accent

As for Nigerians, no comment, they tried to massacre my entire tribe, I'm not surprised they don't like no one 😒

Daps
Most black British folk are divided & don't assimilate together, they usually stick to their own native groups.

Main reason why black British culture is non existent
There's a level of truth to this. It depends on where in the UK. In London, multiple races and ethnic groups live next to and associate with each other.

On the other hand, many people do stick to their own ethnic group. There hasn't been enough time to merge. Plus many Afro-descended ethnic groups (e.g. Jamaicans, Barbadians, Trinis, etc) tend to assimilate into the native population.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The same thing goes for “Merikens” / “Merikins” in Trinidad & Tobago.

“Merikens” are African Americans who fought for The British in 1812 and relocated to Trinidad & Tobago.

But nikkas don’t read about the trans-Atlantic Slavetrade as a whole.

And don’t travel to the Americas with intentions outside of sex tourism to know these things.

That’s why so many just don’t understand how intricately
the African Diaspora is connected to eachother historically.

Article link: The Merikins - African-Americans in Trinidad

That part of the Star-Spangled Banner they leave out. The Merkins are who they're referring to.

There's also Aframs in Newfoundland or Nova Scotia, IIRC.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Also, comparing UK Nigerians to American Nigerians is off.

England is 50,000 sq miles. Texas is 5x larger than England. Most Nigerians in the UK are in London whereas the US has many many cities with significant Nigerian populations.

I’d wager Nigerians in Houston, Dallas, DC, NYC are culturally closer to Nigeria/have just as strong ties, especially now with social media and whatsapp.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Also, comparing UK Nigerians to American Nigerians is off.

England is 50,000 sq miles. Texas is 5x larger than England. Most Nigerians in the UK are in London whereas the US has many many cities with significant Nigerian populations.

I’d wager Nigerians in Houston, Dallas, DC, NYC are culturally closer to Nigeria/have just as strong ties, especially now with social media and whatsapp.
Wouldn't Houston, TX be considered the global hub of the Nigerian diaspora?
I imagine that it has developed into this because of the history of migration and the business, academic, social, and religious networks established there.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I imagine that it has developed into this because of the history of migration and the business, academic, social, and religious networks established there.
:patrice: If you said Igbo Nigerian Diaspora…sure. But globally I don’t know of any one city that can claim to be “the hub”

Gunz&Butta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I would say London is, because of historical ties, distance to Nigeria and density of Nigerian population there.
In the past, Nigerians didn't even need a visa to pop up in the UK

Last edited:

Gunz&Butta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
:patrice: If you said Igbo Nigerian Diaspora…sure. But globally I don’t know of any one city that can claim to be “the hub”
C'mon breh, how is this even an argument? Outside of Africa, London is like the 37th Nigerian "state". London might as well be Nigeria's backyard with the sheer movement of people back and forth.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
C'mon breh, how is this even an argument? Outside of Africa, London is like the 37th Nigerian "state". London might as well be Nigeria's backyard with the sheer movement of people back and forth.

The reason I say this is because of the population of the US Nigerian diaspora.

The London-Lagos axis is really just for the British Nigeria diaspora. The global diaspora encompasses US, Canada, SA, Australia, Mainland Europe.

There are more Nigerians in the US than the UK, but of course the density in London is prob no. 1