British Nigerians vs Nigerian Americans

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Nigerians emigrated and been in the UK longer than they have in the US?

Wouldn't that make US Nigerians closer to their roots since most of them are 1st generation lol

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Most black British folk are divided & don't assimilate together, they usually stick to their own native groups.

Main reason why black British culture is non existent
This is a blatant lie LMFAOOOO

I’ve been there many times and I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Black British English is even it own language.
IMG-3321.jpg

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I don't know enough creole to be considered Haitian, and then one Trinidadian lady called me a fresh water Yankee... and this is after middle school in the suburbs being considered an Oreo... High school in Elizabeth was probably the most accepting of being unique
This probably shouldn't be as funny as it is but :laff:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Anything to segregate and divide themselves to be better or “other”.

In the US, like someone said in the post, Africans (black american ancestors) have been here for 400+ years and it wasnt a positive experience for majority of it. But we made the best of it and non-arguably opened doors for every other culture to want to come here WILLINGLY..

Which is why I never understood the desire to try to put any of us “beneath” them. Some stay, some go, but thats it.

US is too big, black Americans are “different” in every region but fundamentally are still the same. We generally do not give af where youre from either because, you know, everyone is from somewhere. I have Nigerian roots just like I got other African roots, other non-African roots, and in general Idgaf about where YOU’RE from more than I care about how you act towards me and mines. But this goes for other Black Americans too.

Thin line between pride and arrogance. Be as proud as you want but being arrogant is laughable, because in general no one cares. And if shyt was that great, you would've never left in the first place. I want to travel to Africa just as much as I want to travel to the Islands, Asia, South America, etc.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Nigerians emigrated and been in the UK longer than they have in the US?

Wouldn't that make US Nigerians closer to their roots since most of them are 1st generation lol
It's super complicated lol. By technicality, Nigerians been living in the US much longer than the UK due to the transatlantic slave trade. But the UK did had a head start with the first major post-slavery voluntary migration of Nigerians during the 1950s and 1960s. Post-slavery Nigerians didn't start moving to the US until the 1970s and 1980s. But US Nigerians overtook UK Nigerians in population very quickly by the 2000s.

But the big point in this is that there's a local-born Black population that been in the US for generations, so US Nigerians (usually but not always) assimilate/absorb into ADOS culture quickly, within a single generation or even less. The Black community in the UK is only 80-100 years old and exclusively made up of voluntary immigrants from multiple Black countries so there's not much of a real Black British culture to assimilate to.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The world will always see the American version of anything as watered down

True,

But it really does hold weight in this case.

Other than what's been already said here, a lot of it has to do with proximity as well. I know a lot of my relatives in the uk are constantly back and forth between there and Africa.

Meanwhile, many of my relatives here in the states still haven't been back home since the 2000s, or even the 90s in some cases. Most might travel there like once a year a best.

I also think that social landscape in America kind of forces people to assimilate into the existing broader culture at the expense of losing a bit of their culture of their homeland.

That's probably why so many African parents (and carribean parents too for that matter) are always vocal about their children losing their culture, but it's bound to happen once you touch down in this country. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

BaKardi Slang

Caribbean-Canadian 🇦🇬
Daps
Reppin
Canada 🇨🇦
This, most non native people I know, that's how their home country tends to view them. With Jamaica, British/American/Canadian Jamaicans are looked upon as "not real" Jamaicans overall especially if they were born and raised outside of the country of jamaica.

Alotta Caribbeans do this. But if you were to not acknowledge your Caribbean roots, it would be “you don’t know where you’re from” and/or “you’re Caribbean”