British Nigerians vs Nigerian Americans

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
It's interesting how the dynamics play between our two groups. They saying that we're not close to Naija culture and act too "American"

Last edited:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Also could someone tell me how to post the actual reddit thread on the Coli instead of a link. I feel like we lost that ability when the site updated

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Also could someone tell me how to post the actual reddit thread on the Coli instead of a link. I feel like we lost that ability when the site updated
You don't copy the link on the website bar. Click share button near the vote/comments buttons and copy that link, then embed as media

[MEDIA=reddit]Nigeria/comments/1brpa1z[/MEDIA]

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
The world will always see the American version of anything as watered down
This, most non native people I know, that's how their home country tends to view them. With Jamaica, British/American/Canadian Jamaicans are looked upon as "not real" Jamaicans overall especially if they were born and raised outside of the country of jamaica.

Last edited:

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
This most non native people I know, that's how their home country tends to view them. With Jamaica, British/American/Canadian Jamaicans are looked upon as "not real" Jamaicans overall especially if they weren't born and raised outside of the country.
Which is hilarious because Nigerians in Nigeria think neither groups are the real deal

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This most non native people I know, that's how their home country tends to view them. With Jamaica, British/American/Canadian Jamaicans are looked upon as "not real" Jamaicans overall especially if they weren't born and raised outside of the country.
I don't know enough creole to be considered Haitian, and then one Trinidadian lady called me a fresh water Yankee... and this is after middle school in the suburbs being considered an Oreo... High school in Elizabeth was probably the most accepting of being unique

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Like someone said there’s already a larger Black population in America so of course the Nigerians that are raised here will be more likely to assimilate into their culture.
That seems to be the case for most black immigrants from my observation , they also tend to date and have kids with aframs who turn around and do the same thing. My ex has Jamaican ancestry and didn’t even know it at the time until her pops told her through her grandmother and his(her father) mother.

ReasonableMatic

Daps
Like someone said there’s already a larger Black population in America so of course the Nigerians that are raised here will be more likely to assimilate into their culture.
That seems to be the case for most black immigrants from my observation , they also tend to date and have kids with aframs who turn around and do the same thing. My ex has Jamaican ancestry and didn’t even know it at the time until her pops told her through her grandmother and his(her father) mother.
The same thing goes for “Merikens” / “Merikins” in Trinidad & Tobago.

“Merikens” are African Americans who fought for The British in 1812 and relocated to Trinidad & Tobago.

But nikkas don’t read about the trans-Atlantic Slavetrade as a whole.

And don’t travel to the Americas with intentions outside of sex tourism to know these things.

That’s why so many just don’t understand how intricately
the African Diaspora is connected to eachother historically.

Article link: The Merikins - African-Americans in Trinidad

Last edited: