"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Collateral thanks. I'm just adding on to this thread that shows Newark in a 3 Dimensional Way, and building on the posts that others have made.City has a bad reputation. Some of that is deserved, but lot of great and wonderful people and things come out of Newark. Glad this threat exists, for those of us who are from the Bricks and for those from outside who only know about it for negativity.

Yeah, gentrification doesn't have a heart. We lived in different parts of the city growing up. Even in the ROUGHEST areas, there were always some old women holding the block together and keeping order. Developers don't give a fukk about the people who held those communities together, or the decent people living there just working and taking care of their families. They will be kicked out the same way the lowlifes will. Shame. The lowlifes are the ones who should be kicked out.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
40-Story High-Rise Proposed for Newark’s Lower Broadway Neighborhood
By
Jared Kofsky
-
February 21, 2020
94-Clay-Street-Newark.jpg

Site of proposed development at Clay Street, McCarter Highway/Route 21, and Mount Pleasant Avenue, Newark. Image via Google Maps.

A neighborhood situated just north of Downtown Newark could potentially become the site of one of the tallest buildings in the state’s largest city.

The Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to hear a proposal later this month involving an application to redevelop seven properties in the Lower Broadway community. A firm called 96 Clay Partnership, LLC is seeking approval in connection with a proposed 40-story development at 94 Clay Street, 1239, 1241, and 1243 McCarter Highway/Route 21, and 316-320, 322-326, and 328-330 Mount Pleasant Avenue, according to a legal notice. The building that is being planned would consist of 484 residential units and ground-floor commercial space.

State business filings show that 96 Clay Partnership, LLC was incorporated in October 2019. Although the notice lists the company as the owner of premises, municipal tax records state that six of the tracts are owned by Nutley-based 96 Clay Street, LLC while the seventh is owned by Best Holdings Corp. The site currently includes 96 Clay Cabinetry and an automotive business.

Should this project end up being approved and ultimately constructed by the developer, it would be the first high-rise constructed in this immediate area north of I-280 since the Pavilion and Colonnade Apartments were built close to six decades ago. Located not far from the Lower Broadway business district, the Newark Broad Street train and light rail stations, and the Clay Street Bridge to Hudson County, the seven properties are situated in an area that remains heavily industrial but is seeing an increasing residential and retail presence.

Although not to the extent of other areas of Newark, over the last few years, this vicinity has seen several mixed-use development plans. For instance, the 84-unit Spring Street Commons project is currently under construction across Clay Street from where the 40-story development could be built while plans were revealed last year for a complex with over 250 units along Broad Street near the neighborhood’s Burger King location.

The Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to hear 96 Clay Partnership, LLC’s application on Monday, February 24, at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
40-Story High-Rise Proposed for Newark’s Lower Broadway Neighborhood
By
Jared Kofsky
-
February 21, 2020
94-Clay-Street-Newark.jpg

Site of proposed development at Clay Street, McCarter Highway/Route 21, and Mount Pleasant Avenue, Newark. Image via Google Maps.

A neighborhood situated just north of Downtown Newark could potentially become the site of one of the tallest buildings in the state’s largest city.

The Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to hear a proposal later this month involving an application to redevelop seven properties in the Lower Broadway community. A firm called 96 Clay Partnership, LLC is seeking approval in connection with a proposed 40-story development at 94 Clay Street, 1239, 1241, and 1243 McCarter Highway/Route 21, and 316-320, 322-326, and 328-330 Mount Pleasant Avenue, according to a legal notice. The building that is being planned would consist of 484 residential units and ground-floor commercial space.

State business filings show that 96 Clay Partnership, LLC was incorporated in October 2019. Although the notice lists the company as the owner of premises, municipal tax records state that six of the tracts are owned by Nutley-based 96 Clay Street, LLC while the seventh is owned by Best Holdings Corp. The site currently includes 96 Clay Cabinetry and an automotive business.

Should this project end up being approved and ultimately constructed by the developer, it would be the first high-rise constructed in this immediate area north of I-280 since the Pavilion and Colonnade Apartments were built close to six decades ago. Located not far from the Lower Broadway business district, the Newark Broad Street train and light rail stations, and the Clay Street Bridge to Hudson County, the seven properties are situated in an area that remains heavily industrial but is seeing an increasing residential and retail presence.

Although not to the extent of other areas of Newark, over the last few years, this vicinity has seen several mixed-use development plans. For instance, the 84-unit Spring Street Commons project is currently under construction across Clay Street from where the 40-story development could be built while plans were revealed last year for a complex with over 250 units along Broad Street near the neighborhood’s Burger King location.

The Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to hear 96 Clay Partnership, LLC’s application on Monday, February 24, at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.

Would be shocked if it isn't approved.

Montez

Superstar
Daps
As I said earlier, Newark is going back to its roots of being a city known for its high rises.

My only concern is with the airport and traffic but Newark been carved up in the last 3 years by the developers. They're just waiting.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
did they tear down a lot of them or stopped building.

Damn Newark, Jersey City, Manhattan.

that’s a whole lot of buildings
Yea by the turn of the 00's, mostly all the high rises were torn down. The only high rise pj's that really stand today are the Spires
613578-Large-exterior-view-from-the-southeast.jpg

Now everywhere you go, 10 to 20 store buildings are the construction phases of being built.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
My only concern is with the airport and traffic but Newark been carved up in the last 3 years by the developers. They're just waiting.
Yea that traffic going to be gridlock as if you were driving through the Holland Tunnel at 7am

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
http://www.blackstarnews.com/entert...nds-letter-to-wbgo-radio-management#main-menu

NEWARK MAYOR BARAKA SENDS LETTER TO WBGO RADIO MANAGEMENT CONCERNING ALLEGED WORKPLACE DISCRIMINATION
Special To The ...January 30,2020
WGBOWIKI.jpg

-A +A
[Workplace Discrimination\WBGO 88.3 FM\Newark]
Newark Mayor Baraka: "From what I have heard from various employees of WBGO as well as what’s referenced in the most recent Community Advisory Board meeting minutes, the radio station may no longer reflect the ‘Newark Forward’ values of my administration specifically in terms of equity."
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

This week, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka voiced his concern about the escalating racial tension that is occurring at WBGO 88.3 FM, Newark's world-renowned jazz radio station, and announced in a letter to WBGO's chairman that he would no longer do his "Newark Today" show on the station.

In Mayor Baraka's letter to WBGO's Chairman Karl Paul Frederic he stated that "As of today, I will no longer broadcast 'Newark Today' from your studios until there is significant movement toward a resolution. I will do the show off-site, but not at 54 Park Place." The "Newark Today" show is a monthly call-in show.

Baraka noted in his letter that "From what I have heard from various employees of WBGO as well as what’s referenced in the most recent Community Advisory Board meeting minutes, the radio station may no longer reflect the ‘Newark Forward’ values of my administration specifically in terms of equity."

Mayor Baraka's decision comes on the heels of Monday's firing of Josie Gonsalves, the station's former development officer, and Tuesday resignation of Amy Niles, WBGO's former president and CEO. Niles and Gonsalves reportedly clashed over allegations that Niles promoted a workplace culture of discrimination and intimidation.

According to the Tap Into Newark website, Gonsalves reportedly stated that both Frederic and Niles saw her as a troublemaker.

"I've been aware that they both (Niles and WBGO Board President Karl Frederic) believe that I've been some sort of ringleader or instigator in organizing the staff, both Black and white, some of whom have been there for decades," Gonsalves said.

Mayor Baraka in his letter called for the following:

• Reinstate Josie Goncalves’ employment
  • Commence an investigation of the work environment and implement plans to encourage a cultural shift
  • Evaluate where the issue originates and whether it stems from the station’s current leadership
  • Partner with Newark Schools to establish an internship focused on jazz education and development for young people in the city
Mayor Baraka also said, "I ask that these problems be addressed swiftly and immediately to the satisfaction of your employees, or I can no longer continue to support the station in our community."