Candy giant to open new HQ in Newark
Updated Dec 5, 8:51 PM; Posted Dec 5, 5:10 PM

-112ffb4c71c85f6c.JPG

Gallery: M&M's, a Jersey-fresh candy since 1941

1.6kshares
By Jessica Mazzola

jmazzola@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The chocolate company behind M&M's, Snickers, and Twix, is officially expanding in New Jersey.

Mars Wrigley Confectionary announced Tuesday its decision to open its U.S. headquarters in the Garden State. The HQ will have two locations, one in Mars' existing offices in Hackettstown, and another in a new space in Newark, the company said. The move that will bring about 500 jobs to the Brick City.

The announcement comes a few weeks after the state approved a 10-year, $31 million tax enticement for the company.

The new Newark location should be up and running by July 2020, the candy giant said.

Mars Wrigley has said it plans to move 113 jobs from Chicago and 370 jobs from Hackettstown to Newark. The Hackettstown location will retain about 1,000 jobs, the company said.

The company's international headquarters will remain in Chicago, Mars said.

Though it is unclear how many of the Jersey jobs will be new, local hires and how many will be transplants to N.J., the company said in its announcement it was "committed" to helping employees through the transition.

"Expanding in New Jersey will enable the continued growth of our U.S. business," said Berta de Pablos Barbier, Mars' president.

"Creating U.S. offices in New Jersey will allow us to keep driving growth, while also positioning us to retain and attract the future talent needed for our continued success."

The company has not said where in Newark it will be located, but sources reportedly told ROI-New Jersey the headquarters would be located in the Ironside Newark -- a 456,000-square-foot commercial and retail center currently being renovated.

U.S. Sen, Cory Booker issued a statement Tuesday saying he was "thrilled" with the company's decision to build in the state's largest city.

"Newark's highly-educated workforce, robust transportation network, and central location will no doubt help the Mars U.S. Market Headquarters thrive. This decision means hundreds of local jobs returning to Newark, a boost to our regional economy and small businesses, and the opportunity to continue the biggest economic boom in Newark since the 1960's," Booker said.

The move is a return for Mars, which was located in Newark from 1941 through 1958, when it moved to Hackettstown seeking more space.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Coworking Comes to Hahne & Co, “The Future of Work in Newark”
By
Gillian Blair
-
December 6, 2017

hahne-and-company-building-newark-awards.jpg

Photo by Darrell Simmons/Jersey Digs.
Launch Pad, a brand-new coworking space, is opening this winter in downtown Newark. Located in the award-winning Hahne & Co. at 625 Broad Street, Launch Pad will occupy 14,000 square feet on the 2nd floor, according to a recent announcement by L+M Development Partners who restored the building in partnership with Prudential Financial.

Launch Pad will provide workspace for individuals and businesses alike at an affordable rate while contributing to Newark’s booming tech sector. The innovative coworking venture promises “awesome people, beautiful offices, flexible memberships” and mentions on their website that “the collaborative culture is our special sauce.”

Their CEO Chris Schultz, said, “Launch Pad is thrilled about the opportunity to take space at the historic and beautifully renovated Hahne & Co. building. We look forward to fostering innovation and creating an inclusive business and creative ecosystem.”

launch-pad-newark-625-broad-1.jpg

Launch Pad’s New Orleans location, a comparable design to Newark, which is currently being outfitted. Credit: Launch Pad.

Founded in New Orleans in 2009, Launch Pad has extensive experience growing individual careers and small businesses as well as providing educational and technical support. They specifically seek out cities that are on the rise among entrepreneurs. “Newark has incredible potential and is poised to attract more businesses and entrepreneurs from a wide range of backgrounds… We are eager to be a part of the Newark community,” said Mr. Schultz.

Members will have the option of coworking space, private offices, or permanent desks. Amenities include locally roasted coffee; super fast internet; a beautiful new space adorned with local artwork; educational, community, and networking events; and even the much anticipated Marcus Samuelsson restaurant, Marcus B&P, that just opened at Hahne & Co.

“Launch Pad’s coworking space will nurture new businesses and include them in the creative environment developing at Hahne & Co.,” said Jon Cortell, the Vice President of Development at L+M Development Partners. “By creating an environment for small businesses and startups to develop and grow, Launch Pad will have a tremendous impact on the continued economic development of Newark–something we couldn’t be more excited about.”

Launch Pad is taking reservations for founding members now. For more information, visit their website.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Question for all of you in here. Do you see an NBA team eventually coming back to the state/city in the foreseeable future? Which title should be used to describe where the team is from, the State or City? (ie New Jersery Nets or Newark Nets)

Don't see it coming anytime soon. Being associated with NY is far better for a team in the long run and the Nets front office knew this. That's why they left to begin with.

If they somehow decided to come back, using the state is a stronger name for the Nets than simply using Newark since the name is not desirable enough from a marketing prospective.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Don't see it coming anytime soon. Being associated with NY is far better for a team in the long run and the Nets front office knew this. That's why they left to begin with.

If they somehow decided to come back, using the state is a stronger name for the Nets than simply using Newark.
It doesn't necessarily have to be the Nets (I was just using that as an example). It could also be a new expansion team.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Question for all of you in here. Do you see an NBA team eventually coming back to the state/city in the foreseeable future? Which title should be used to describe where the team is from, the State or City? (ie New Jersery Nets or Newark Nets)
@K-Apps @Darth Hater @newarkhiphop @skeetsinternal @feelosofer @Dip @Get These Nets

Don't think it's going to be for a while, I also think they should use the state.

imo with the right stadium and talent it would be a good move, set up a nice rivalry with NY and Boston

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
It doesn't necessarily have to be the Nets (I was just using that as an example). It could also be a new expansion team.

I don't know if an expansion team would do much good. Even when the Nets were still here, the games barely had much attendance outside of the Kidd years.

But with the state in general getting gentrified, it could be a possibility in the future, but that could take decades.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@K-Apps @Darth Hater @newarkhiphop @skeetsinternal @feelosofer @Dip @Get These Nets

My username is short for "Brooklyn can get these NETS!", so I'm not the most objective person to answer the question.

I don't see there being a financial incentive for any team to think of coming here. Large metro area can support maybe 2 teams in the same sport. Yankees/Mets..Clippers/Lakers, Cubs/White Sox, Rams/Chargers, Knicks/Nets

The only exception is the 3 hockey teams in metro NY area.....and these folks out here are 2-3 generation hockey fans. Fan base is just not there to support a third basketball team.

The NETS were playing NBA FINALS games to non sellout crowds. Which is unheard of.

Newark still has a negative image associated with the name. They wanted to rename Newark airport Liberty Airport a few years back and just erase Newark from the name entirely. So the state name would be definitely be more marketable.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
My username is short for "Brooklyn can get these NETS!", so I'm not the most objective person to answer the question.

I don't see there being a financial incentive for any team to think of coming here. Large metro area can support maybe 2 teams in the same sport. Yankees/Mets..Clippers/Lakers, Cubs/White Sox, Rams/Chargers, Knicks/Nets

The only exception is the 3 hockey teams in metro NY area.....and these folks out here are 2-3 generation hockey fans. Fan base is just not there to support a third basketball team.

The NETS were playing NBA FINALS games to non sellout crowds. Which is unheard of.

Newark still has a negative image associated with the name. They wanted to rename Newark airport Liberty Airport a few years back and just erase Newark from the name entirely. So the state name would be definitely be more marketable.

This. Even in Brooklyn, I went to a Nets game back in 2015; less than half people at the game i saw repping themselves claimed they were actually from the borough since the city is still Knicks town.

If locals can't support their own team, what good would it do to create ANOTHER one.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Amazon can help change Newark -- and should | Di Ionno
Updated 9:15 AM; Posted 9:10 AM

amazonamazon010.JPG

amazonamazon005.JPG

44shares
By Mark Di Ionno

mdiionno@starledger.com,

Columnist, The Star-Ledger

There are many reasons why Amazon should open its second headquarters in Newark.

First, accessibility. By air, sea or highway, a multitude of roads that emanate from the city like strands in a spider web, guaranteeing that Amazon's stuff will get from here to there in short order.

Second, Amazon is already here. It is the parent company of Audible, which sells and produces spoken audio programming and has operated its headquarters in Newark since 2007.

Amazon has seven distribution centers and warehouses along the Turnpike, a newly opened 1-million-square footer in Carteret, and two of equal size planned for Edison and Florence. The company already employees 13,000 people in the state.

Then there are the seven billion other reasons. That's the number of dollars the state ($5 billion) and city ($2 billion) are promising Amazon in tax breaks and incentives.

But perhaps Newark's most alluring attribute is an intangible -- a social element. It's an opportunity for Amazon founder Jeff Bezos to single-handedly help shape the future of the city.

MORE: Recent Mark Di Ionno columns

Places like New York and Philadelphia can't offer that kind of appeal. They are complete cities. In Newark, Amazon could see itself, like Prudential, as the company that helped formed and forged a new future for a rebounding city.

Newark could be Amazon's company town. In recent weeks, when Bezos surpassed Bill Gates as America's wealthiest man, there were comparisons of each man's philanthropy. Bezos came in a distant second. Not even second. But far below the likes of Mark Zuckerburg and Warren Buffet. Making a huge investment in Newark might take the sting out of that criticism.

On a bus tour of the several potential sites in the downtown Newark area yesterday, Mayor Ras Baraka and two of the city's economic development leaders were armed with lots of facts and figures about what Amazon wants and what the city can provide.

"We can check all the boxes," said Aisha Glover, president and chief executive officer of the Newark Community Economic Development Corp.

Some are obvious.

Transportation. Check.

Infrastructure. Check.

Room to expand? Plenty.

Access to a tech-savvy workforce? The New Jersey Institute of Technology is on the doorstep and Stevens Institute is up the road. Not to mention Rutgers.

Properly wired? Newark's fiber optics were built into information carrier hotels 20 years ago and have been improving steadily since. Audible CEO Don Katz lauded Newark's "lightning fast Wi-Fi."

A healthy corporate culture? Prudential, PSE&G, IDT, Panasonic, and they keep coming. Broadridge Financial Solutions arrived in October, and Mars Wrigley Confectionery is coming soon.

There are many more boxes that can be checked.

Culture. The Prudential Center. The New Jersey Performing Art Center.

Downtown life. New residential developments are popping up as fast as new restaurants.

But with all that said, Newark is still very much a work in progress. And the hope is that Bezos will see that his company can be an integral part of that transformation.

"They will have a chance to define the narrative of this city," said Carmelo Garcia, the city's deputy mayor of housing and economic development.

Amazon is asking potential host cities to be able to provide 500,000 square feet of office space immediately, with room for as much as an additional 8 million square feet. That's one advantage Newark has over built-out cities - that kind of room is available.

At 33 Washington St., the modern building next to the Newark Museum and down the street from Audible, 250,000 square feet are currently under renovation. At 520 Broad Street, another 350,000 square feet are immediately available. The Gateway Center has 655,953 square feet of vacancy.

That's the easy part.

If Amazon comes, it will need real space. Millions of square-feet worth.

On the bus tour yesterday, the officials showed off the 15.5 acres across the street from the Prudential Center and stretching east into the Ironbound. That area, now called Mulberry Commons is where Mars is coming, into a gigantic former rail freight warehouse. The 500,000-square-foot behemoth towers over Route 21 and the tracks into Penn Station.

Another site is the 11.5 acres near Riverfront Stadium, soon to be torn down and replaced with a 2,000-unit residential building and commercial space. Then there's a 5.6-acre area next to the FBI building on the waterfront and surrounded by the newer glass-and-steel office buildings downtown, off McCarter Highway.

But perhaps most intriguing is the area officials are calling "South of Market." This is the Halsey Street business area of hair salons and clothing stores, in tired structures from Newark's century-old building boom. In the parking lots are several abandoned garages and warehouses. But across the street is the new Teacher's Village - nationally recognized as a model for urban, business-district residential development for people of moderate incomes.

Baraka pointed out that part of the selling strategy to Amazon is to get them to see that anywhere they build in Newark will be an extension of "great things already happening."

"I grew up in Newark," the mayor said. "I've been hearing about 'The Renaissance' my whole life. It's been the longest Renaissance in history. But now it's here. Even our detractors can see it.

"Amazon can be a big part of it," he said. "We hope that appeals to them ... that we can help them and they can help us."

Baraka said the Newark he envisions - and that is coming to fruition - is a place where there "is equitable affordability in housing."

"We want to create real neighborhoods in the downtown," he said. "Where there are opportunities to live and go out for all people. That is part of our overall narrative.

"We think that's something they want to be a part of, too. To invest in a community, and make a real difference."

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

Josh Harris who owns the 76ers and Prudential Center a few years back there wasn't a need for it. Unless a billionaire buys a significant stake in Prudential Center for the sole purpose of an NBA expansion and Harris oks it then it could happen. Remember Nets gave up the right to get territory fees when they spent their last two seasons in NJ. They only have to pay territory fees to Dolan. But chances of that are zero, honestly there is a lot of decent land near the Airport, if I was a prospective MLB owner or Woody Johnson/Mara and Tisch I consider building a stadium there. You could possibly build a PATH/Amtrak/NJ Transit station and have the NJ Transit buses to run as well. All these possibilies are very slim to none, but I definitely Newark can support another franchise. It's just a shame Lewis Katz :rip: wasn't patient in waiting for the Prudential Center to happen.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Josh Harris who owns the 76ers and Prudential Center a few years back there wasn't a need for it. Unless a billionaire buys a significant stake in Prudential Center for the sole purpose of an NBA expansion and Harris oks it then it could happen. Remember Nets gave up the right to get territory fees when they spent their last two seasons in NJ. They only have to pay territory fees to Dolan. But chances of that are zero, honestly there is a lot of decent land near the Airport, if I was a prospective MLB owner or Woody Johnson/Mara and Tisch I consider building a stadium there. You could possibly build a PATH/Amtrak/NJ Transit station and have the NJ Transit buses to run as well. All these possibilies are very slim to none, but I definitely Newark can support another franchise. It's just a shame Lewis Katz :rip: wasn't patient in waiting for the Prudential Center to happen.

And then there's the need for a fanbase to actually support a new team. Even though Jersey produces great baskeball talent, most of the talent goes out of state(same problem for our football players as well) if we're not counting Seton Hall.

Back when the Nets were still based in the Meadowlands and then Newark, nikkas in my area were still rocking Knicks and Eagles gear(from my extended fam living in South Jersey) purely off proximity and the competitiveness of both teams in the 90s/early 00s.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
S/O to the lil homie Shakur Stevenson!

Newark Olympian Shakur Stevenson connects as a pro boxer | Carter
Updated 7:04 AM; Posted 7:00 AM

shak01.jpg

shak02.jpg

shak06.jpg

shak12.jpg

43shares
By Barry Carter

bcarter@starledger.com,

Columnist, The Star-Ledger

At the Stewart Hotel in midtown Manhattan, Shakur Stevensonshadowboxes from his seat, throwing punches in a flurry as if no one else is in the conference room.

"I'm just so used to it,'' Stevenson said. "It keeps me on my toes.''

Stevenson could be in a supermarket, in the mall, or walking down the street, when he involuntarily starts flicking jabs and uppercuts. The 20-year-old Newark native was never far from that zone as we talked last Wednesday about his transition from Olympic silver medalist to professional boxer.

"I know when I get in the ring with somebody else, no matter how good they are, I'm on a different level skillfully,'' he said.

He was on "a different level" three days later as part of a Top Rank-promoted card on ESPN at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Stevenson dominated Oscar Mendoza on Saturday, winning his featherweight bout by TKO in the second round.

"Y'all still didn't see the best of me,'' said Shakur, standing in the ring. "Keep watching.''

MORE: Recent Barry Carter columns

We will. He's 4-0, with two knockouts, in his dream job, his passion. It's all he's ever wanted to do since his grandfather, Willie "Wali" Moses, showed him how to box at age 5. Moses has been there the whole time, training him, watching him check off each milestone in his blossoming career.

"I would always say to him, 'Man, don't let me believe in you more than you believe in yourself' and he doesn't fall short on that self-belief," Moses said. "His dedication to himself and his craft is insurmountable.''

To Stevenson, boxing is everything. His love for the sport is what basketball is to NBA legends like LeBron James, Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant. Stevenson most identifies with the inner drive of Hall of Famer Allen Iverson, when the hoops star said, "I play every game like it's my last game.''

Stevenson has the same mindset, so his transition to the pros has not been difficult.

"I fight every fight like it's my last fight,'' he said.

While most new boxers begin their career with four-round fights, up from the three-round bouts of the amateur level, Stevenson told his promoter, Top Rank, that he wanted to debut at six rounds.

"I'm not going to get nothing out of four rounds and lesser opponents,'' he said.

In the ring, he's making adjustments, realizing pace and patience are a must as he builds his endurance. He's quite aware that he doesn't fight as frequently, so he has to make each outing count.

"In the pros, you get one time, you get one performance,'' he said.

Stevenson is hard on himself, grading his early body of work as a C+. "I haven't peaked yet,'' he said.

That will come with more fights, when his man strength kicks in to fill out his 126-pound, 5-foot-8 frame.

"I've just got to stay focused and hungry,'' he said.

Putting in the work has never been a problem. In preparing for the Saturday fight, Stevenson sparred 12 rounds against Vasyl Lomachenko, the WBO junior lightweight world champion.

Stevenson described the experience as "amazing'' with the two-time gold medalist, who showed him why he is considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters.

"I know that if I can get in there with one of the best boxers in boxing and handle myself, I can handle myself with anybody in boxing right now,'' he said.

Lomachenko, who retained his title Saturday at the Theater at the Madison Square Garden, said Shakur "has a lot of places where to grow, and I think he's going to be a very good prospect.''

As a young lion in the game, Stevenson is eager to be a headliner, like Lomachenko, preferably in Newark. Anthony Carr, a boxing trainer for 30 years in Newark, has watched Stevenson since he put on the gloves and likes what he sees now: good ring generalship, high boxing I.Q. and craftiness. He's a "gym rat,'' who wants to learn and get better, Carr said. "I think one day he'll wear that belt."

Antonio Leonard, a co-promoter for Stevenson, said he has a gift on par with former great fighters such as Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather. "I see a lot of stuff happening for this kid,'' Leonard said. "He embraces everything."

His talent shines as brightly as his future, but Stevenson is down to earth, personable and humble.

"I know God put everything in front of me for a reason,'' he said. "He wouldn't put me in a certain position if he thought I couldn't handle it."

He's a mature young man with a megawatt dimpled smile, adapting to everything coming his way. Two weeks ago, he moved into his own apartment in Alexandria, Virginia, where he trains with his coach, Kay Koroma. The responsibility is quickly setting in.

"I have to pay my own bills,'' he said. And answer e-mails more regularly, something he said his idol, retired boxing champion Andre Ward, gets on him about.

The oldest of nine siblings, Stevenson is grounded by his family, whom he misses. He misses Newark, too, carrying the city with him into the ring. In bold capital glittering letters, "Newark" was emblazoned on the waistband of his red- and-white trunks and the bandana around his head on Saturday.

"I want to give a big shoutout to Newark, N.J. Without them, I wouldn't be who I am,'' he said in the ring.

Angie Jackson, who works behind the scenes for Top Rank, calls Stevenson a "breath of fresh air,'' unlike many fighters she's seen during 40 years in the business.

"He's happy to go out there and do whatever he needs to do to promote himself. He knows he has to earn it,'' Jackson said.

That's what he did after we talked on Wednesday. Stevenson had to be at the Mendez Boxing gym for a 12:30 p.m. workout in front of boxing media outlets. On the way, a school bus was blocking the Chevrolet Suburban that Stevenson was riding in.

Instead of waiting, Stevenson jumped out on East 26th Street to walk the last block, signing an autograph for a fan in front of the gym entrance. He dashed down the steps and began answering questions from a horde of media waiting for him, Lomachenko, Guillermo Rigondeaux, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and junior featherweight champion; and Michael Conlan, an Olympian from Ireland. All of them fought Saturday night at the Garden.

Stevenson's comfortable now with the media. He took pictures, smiled, socialized, then left after 90 minutes and walked back to the hotel.

When I first wrote about him, in 2013, I said he was a keeper, someone who would be on the Olympic podium in 2016.