"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
I got pulled over by Newark police unmarked car Saturday but in EO.Glad to see it was brothers patrolling. Nothing happened but I think Newark cops have better than most racial tolerance.

I think last Wednesday I was on N13th getting some p*ssy and I realize it's being built up over there with new housing.

This Sunday I got my hair shaped up at Just Kutz and order my Sunday meal from Kings. It's something about Newark that makes it uniquely beautiful despite the challenges and issues we face. I hope this summer be cool.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I got pulled over by Newark police unmarked car Saturday but in EO.Glad to see it was brothers patrolling. Nothing happened but I think Newark cops have better than most racial tolerance.

I think last Wednesday I was on N13th getting some p*ssy and I realize it's being built up over there with new housing.

This Sunday I got my hair shaped up at Just Kutz and order my Sunday meal from Kings. It's something about Newark that makes it uniquely beautiful despite the challenges and issues we face. I hope this summer be cool.
I agree. When I was driving around Newark, I felt comfortable and at home seeing so many black people especially since I been in Confederate Cac Country for 2 years.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Good to see some effort. :blessed:

Newark to vote on big push to avoid gentrification with affordable housing

Newark to vote on big push to avoid gentrification with affordable housing
Updated on June 22, 2017 at 1:37 PMPosted on June 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM
22955481-mmmain.jpg

At One Theater Square in Newark, 26 of the 245 apartments will be affordable. On Wednesday, June 21, the City Council will vote on a requirement that 20 percent of all new apartments in projects of at least 30 units be for low or moderate income earners. (Steve Strunsky | NJ Advance Media)

1.3kshares
BY STEVE STRUNSKY

sstrunsky@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

NEWARK -- The City Council is scheduled for a vote Wednesday night on a rule requiring 20 percent of large residential projects be set aside for people with low and moderate incomes to keep housing affordable.

Ordinance 17-0842, titled "Inclusionary Zoning for Affordable Housing," would amend the city's land use law to require that 20 percent of units in residential projects of 30 units or more be restricted to people making not more than 80 percent of the median income for the region.

In Essex County, that means up to $50,000. A range of affordability under the requirement means some of the units would have to be priced for people making as little as 20 percent of the region's median income.

The proposal by Mayor Ras Baraka was originally introduced in February., but changes meant it would have to be re-introdued Wednesday night and, if approved, put to a final vote scheduled for July 12.

Baraka has presided over a building boom for Newark during the current economic recovery, and the measure is intended to insure that people of all income levels share in he new housing being created.

Experts say the city has been the beneficiary of soaring real estate prices on the Hudson River Gold Coast, which has pushed residential development to places farther west along commuter routes to New York City, including Newark.

Others credit publicly financed projects including the New Jersey Performing Arts Center and the Prudential Center arena for making Newark a more desirable place to live.

Officials said Hoboken is the only other municipality in the state with a similar requirement that large residential projects include an affordable component.

Newark's ordinance was the result of negotiations involving the administration of Mayor Ras Baraka and other elected officials, housing advocates and local developers, officials said.

Recent projects in the city's popular downtown section have included voluntary affordable components. At the mixed-use redevelopment of the former Hahne & Company Department Store, 65 of the 160 apartments are affordable. And the One Theater Square apartment tower, now rising across the street from NJPAC, has includes 26 affordable units out of total of 245 apartments.

NJPAC hi-rise finally breaks ground. What took so long?

For projects that developers feel they can't meet the new rule, developers could seek to make a $100,000 payment for each affordable unit that otherwise would have been required. That money would go into a fund used to help construct affordable housing elsewhere in the city.

The provision is similar to regional transfer agreements under the state's Mt. Laurel affordable housing requirement for towns. That loophole has been criticized by some housing advocates.

Frank Baraff, a spokesman for Mayor Ras Baraka, said developers were not automatically entitled to buy their way out of providing the affordable units. Rather, he said, they would have to receive special approval from planning or zoning officials reviewing their project application.

Baraff also noted that the affordable units could not be built off-site, away from the project's main location. Baraff said the affordable units would also have to be spread throughout a building, not clustered.

If some developers are discouraged from building in the city as a result of the ordinance, so be it, Baraff said.

In a statement, Mayor Ras Baraka said Newark was "leading the way, defining to the nation how a city cares for its residents, and what a city should a be."

"We are forging an innovative collaboration with developers," Baraka said, "whereby they are not only committing to the economic growth of our city but also to enabling residents to remain in Newark, improving their living conditions, preventing the kind of gentrification that happens in other cities undergoing development, and assisting with the facilitation of home ownership."

But the affordable housing requirement could undercut the viability of some projects Newark is hoping to attract, said Carl Goldberg, a veteran New Jersey developer who is co-chairman of the Advisory Board to the Rutgers Center for Real Estate.

"Candidly, unfortunately," he said, "I think a 20-percent set aside, for most developers, the math doesn't work."

Goldberg, who has no projects in Newark, noted that it's not the developer alone who decides whether a project moves forward. Banks or investors could deny financing without a sufficient projected yield, typically 6.5-7%, he said.

Of course, the equation could balance out depending on the city's willingness to grant tax abatements or agreements for payments in lieu of taxes, he said.

"Mayor Baraka has done an extraordinary job and the private sector is very enthusiastic about his leadership," Goldberg said. "I think Newark, for a lot of very positive reasons, is on the precipice of a vibrant renaissance. I would hate to see the city, inadvertently, do something to upset that."

CORRECTION: The article incorrectly stated that the council was to take a final vote on the inclusionary measure Wednesday night. But because of changes after the measure was originally addressed in February, Wednesday's action amounted to an introduction, and a final vote is scheduled for July 12.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Y'all better buy land and property there and surrounding areas. The people that work in Manhattan and BKN are expanding. They aren't making any more land.

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
blacks are leaving Newark:yeshrug:

i don't wanna see any you nikkas being mad in 5 - 10 years when youre priced out

Blacks are not leaving, they are being forced out and pushed out. The current economic reorganization taking place in Newark is not in favor or support of the economic status of urban people but imma say black people. It's in support of those who have for years have gotten breaks, relief and aide. I get it. It's upgrades without upgrading the lives of the people. They built a hockey rink in Newark and minor league baseball field, whole foods, Starbucks... I don't need to say no more.

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
I bet Essex County college will be absorbed into the Rutgers or NJIT system. Frat row off Central Ave all the way to Branchbrook park will be built up to look like prospect park in NY. All this is to attract the white element. Ironbound area is safe. :mjpls: Black's are being pushed further to the airport more towards JC and the jail

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
blacks are leaving Newark:yeshrug:

i don't wanna see any you nikkas being mad in 5 - 10 years when youre priced out

Since when breh? I'm not too far from there, seen the developments happening and have people over there but i haven't seen anyone leaving. :comeon:

In fact, one of my boys in JC actually had to move TO Newark because of Jews infesting the area and rising the prices.

Last edited:

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Since when breh? I'm not too far from there, seen the developments happening and have people over there but i haven't seen anyone leaving. :comeon:

In fact, one of my boys in JC actually had to move TO Newark because of Jews infesting the area and rising the prices.
Cosign this... The scoop and scrubbing is on. I found out when Harlem was gentrified they wanted to change the name of Harlem to something else. Newark on that path and probably down to change the name to Glennwood or some non black associated name

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Blacks are not leaving, they are being forced out and pushed out. The current economic reorganization taking place in Newark is not in favor or support of the economic status of urban people but imma say black people. It's in support of those who have for years have gotten breaks, relief and aide. I get it. It's upgrades without upgrading the lives of the people. They built a hockey rink in Newark and minor league baseball field, whole foods, Starbucks... I don't need to say no more.

yes blacks are leaving

theyre moving to the suburbs, PA, DC south etc.

yall nikkas never heard of a census???? and you don't know nobody that left Newark :hhh:my family and I are also examples of black people leaving the Newark area. We're not all victims, many blacks in Newark and the surrounding towns left on their own accord.

From the 1950s to 1967, white population shrank from 363,000 to 158,000, its black population grew from 70,000 to 220,000.[86] The percentage of Non-Hispanic whites[80]declined from 82.8% in 1950 to 11.6% by 2010.[87] The percentage of Latinos in Newark grew between 1980 and 2010, from 18.6% to 33.8% while that of Blacks decreased from 58.2% to 52.4%

or go on American FactFinder and compare the surveys

like i said don't be those nikkas in 5-10 years complaining.

DOSDUMUNI

Pass N' Fly Records
Daps
I bet Essex County college will be absorbed into the Rutgers or NJIT system. Frat row off Central Ave all the way to Branchbrook park will be built up to look like prospect park in NY. All this is to attract the white element. Ironbound area is safe. :mjpls: Black's are being pushed further to the airport more towards JC and the jail

:francis:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
I didn't stay. I went to Branch Brook with my mom again but their a/c was broken on a 97 degree day so we went home.

I might be moving back to Jersey soon but it's still up in the air.

You're moving back HERE? I say you're gonna eat better in the DMV than here.:russ:

Most of my HS classmates want to LEAVE Jersey, hence why they all went to college out of state. And i'm currently saving my money to leave myself in the next 3 years. :francis:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip