Brehs What Was It Like When Tekken 3 Dropped?

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was mad young when this dropped (3 years old) but I can remember around 99 this was one of the few games where it felt like every nikka had a copy.:ohhh:I remember my dad having a copy and dude was really a Gran Turismo type dude. My uncle used to have a bunch of his homeboys over and I would just be sitting there watching them play it. When I got my PS1 around 99/00 I even had a copy of this shyt.:pachaha:
How and why was this so popular? Cause I know nikkas weren't into fighting games hardcore like that especially back in the late 90s.:whoo:

Daps
I was mad young when this dropped (3 years old) but I can remember around 99 this was one of the few games where it felt like every nikka had a copy.:ohhh:I remember my dad having a copy and dude was really a Gran Turismo type dude. My uncle used to have a bunch of his homeboys over and I would just be sitting there watching them play it. When I got my PS1 around 99/00 I even had a copy of this shyt.:pachaha:
How and why was this so popular? Cause I know nikkas weren't into fighting games hardcore like that especially back in the late 90s.:whoo:

Yes they were :what:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How would you know if u was too young

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

:dahell:

Fighting games were extremely popular in the 90's. Probably more so than any other point in history. Real fights would break out in arcades, over fighting games.

Fred.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Cause I know nikkas weren't into fighting games hardcore like that especially back in the late 90s
man what? :heh: where did you get this from? :heh:

at that point i was playing nothing but fighting games..if it wasnt madden or nba live

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not sure where you grew up at but fighting games were all the rage in the hood. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. Hell, it felt like EVERYONE was playing fighters back then moreso than today. Wtf happened though?

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not sure where you grow up at but fighting games was all the rage in the hood. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive. Hell, it felt like EVERYONE was playing fighters back then moreso than today. Wtf happened though?

Superior consoles happened.

Part of the allure of fighting games was the atmosphere of an arcade. People talking shyt. Actual fights breaking out. The constant competition.

Once Saturn/PS1 dropped it was the beginning of the end for 2D/3D fighting games in arcades. People just sat at the crib and played them. I remember I copped a Saturn specifically for their arcade ports of "Street Fighter Alpha" games.

Fred.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
:dahell:

Fighting games were extremely popular in the 90's. Probably more so than any other point in history. Real fights would break out in arcades, over fighting games.

Fred.
This. I have seen mad fisticuffs around Street Fighter in arcades. Saw one breh get his teeth knocked out cutting in line. Had me :huhldup: but I didn’t leave. I still had quarters in my pocket

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This. I have seen mad fisticuffs around Street Fighter in arcades. Saw one breh get his teeth knocked out cutting in line. Had me :huhldup: but I didn’t leave. I still had quarters in my pocket

The arcade we'd go to was in a grimey mall (Bannister in KCMO) so fights would break out often. We'd usually be in there 4-5 deep so it was never a problem for us though. If you wasn't on point arcades were no joke in the 90's.

Fred.

Ill-Mind

Midwest Moonwalker
Daps

Nah breh, we definitely were. I've been into fighting games heavy since Street Fighter 2: World Warrior which dropped in 91

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
The arcade we'd go to was in a grimey mall (Bannister in KCMO) so fights would break out often. We'd usually be in there 4-5 deep so it was never a problem for us though. If you wasn't on point arcades were no joke in the 90's.

Fred.
I grew up in Pittsburgh. The mall I would go to play Street Fighter 2 was actually in a good area. Monroeville Mall. Even there in the back of the arcade shyt was not sweet if you was not following proper arcade etiquette.It was dark in the back by all of the fighting cabinets. Street Fighter. Pit Fighter. Mortal Kombat. etc. I generally was dolo so I was always careful about the unwritten rules.

I would practice my Street Fighter gameplay at a local bowling alley. Beating up on drunks and kids or playing the computer. shyt was def sketchy and seen mad fights in there cause there was alcohol involved.