Breaks from the Gym?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I follow a Push/Pull/Legs program.

usually I do a: Push/Pull/Legs/Rest/Push/Pull/Rest/Legs/Rest sometimes on very busy weeks I will do a 3 day routine M-W-F (Push/Pull/Legs)

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I think it's better just to switch it up and not always lift heavy or lift weights. Do calisthenics for a month. Lift lighter and do more reps. Take a week or two off periodically from everything. Gotta remember you only have one body, too much wear and tear/injury chances and you not an athlete or getting paid for training. One bad back injury and you're walking/sitting different for life.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I follow a Push/Pull/Legs program.

usually I do a: Push/Pull/Legs/Rest/Push/Pull/Rest/Legs/Rest sometimes on very busy weeks I will do a 3 day routine M-W-F (Push/Pull/Legs)
The rest days are a must but I'm talking about a stretch of days where you're not doing anything. For example at the end of August/start of September I was told by my doctor to take a break from lifting to avoid abdominal pressure (I had a hemorrhoid that hemorrhaged), so for about 2 weeks I did absolutely nothing.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The rest days are a must but I'm talking about a stretch of days where you're not doing anything. For example at the end of August/start of September I was told by my doctor to take a break from lifting to avoid abdominal pressure (I had a hemorrhoid that hemorrhaged), so for about 2 weeks I did absolutely nothing.

I must admit I never go more than 3 days without doing anything...Usually at most I would Rest 2 days like the last time I went to the gym was Saturday. I’ve been resting the past couple of days.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
damn, i was just about to post this. i've been in the gym hard 5 days a week for the past year+ (and doing some form of exercise every damn day for the past ~6 months) and i'm getting burnt out. even on vacation i got a few workouts in, i haven't taken a whole week (or more) off in over 14 months. i'm getting burnt out, like i still do my workouts, but moreso out of obligation, i'm legit agitated by them. :why:

Last edited:

idonttouchgrass

Superstar
Daps
i just took 3/4 weeks off for the 3rd time in a year. I also stopped eating in a surplus and lost a few pounds (luckily, my strength barely moved :whew:)

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
damn, i was just about to post this. i've been in the gym hard 5 days a week (and doing some form of exercise every damn day for the past ~6 months) and i'm getting burnt out. even on vacation i got a few workouts in, i haven't taken a whole week (or more) off in over 14 months. i'm getting burnt out, like i still do my workouts, but moreso out of obligation, i'm legit agitated by them. :why:

It happens.

You'll feel like an uncaged tiger when you return if you let yourself take a few days/a week off.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
damn, i was just about to post this. i've been in the gym hard 5 days a week for the past year+ (and doing some form of exercise every damn day for the past ~6 months) and i'm getting burnt out. even on vacation i got a few workouts in, i haven't taken a whole week (or more) off in over 14 months. i'm getting burnt out, like i still do my workouts, but moreso out of obligation, i'm legit agitated by them. :why:
I haven't felt obligation yet, I've been basically non stop cause I love it. If I didn't have to take my one break it would be 11 months non-stop of 4-4-5 days a week.

Last week I did 6 days with 3 being heavy :banderas:

onthereal

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I pretty much lift until I feel my body shutting down. I can hit the gym 10+ days straight. If there's anything left in the tank, I keep going. Once I full exhaust myself, I take off several days in a row.

I just prefer getting in a lot of volume. For others, it's different.