Bra fitting & Bra sizing

Fun Sized Psycho

Floating on tooth shaped clouds
Supporter
Daps
I made a similar thread to this before, but I'm going to do it again.

I mentioned that I sized my mom from 44DDD to 40H. She feels a lt better-- no back or shoulder pain, plus she looks thinner.
I sized my one sister from a VS 36C, to a 34F

These sizes, btw, are UK sizes, as U and US sizing (letter wise) is different. Most US bra brands don't carry small bands with big cups. Actually most US brands don't carry bigger than DD, although you will find DDD or DDDD/F, and I think some of the US plus size brands carry G and H cups (but a UK G will be a lot bigger than a US G).

Cup sizes are fluid*. 1 cup size up = 1 inch bigger than the band; 2 cups = 2 inches; 3 cups = 3 inches etc
So to simplify:
A cup = 1 inch bigger
B cup = 2 inches bigger
C cup = 3 inches bigger
D cup = 4 inches bigger
DD cup = 5 inches bigger

So when I say cup sizes are fluid, I mean as it pertains to the band size. A 32D will not look the same as a 38D. As a band gets bigger (or smaller), the cup size gets bigger (or smaller). but both bras are for women whose busts are 4 inches bigger than their band size. (The woman that wears 32D will have an underbust of 32 inches, and an overbust of 36 inches; the 38D woman will have an underbust of 38 inches, and an overbust of 42 inches)

Bra_CupIsNotACup.jpg

Band Sizing
imo, band sizing is the start of women's bra sizing issues, because if you have the wrong band size, you'll most likely end up with the wrong cup size.

To measure your band you hold the measuring tape uder your bust, making sure it is parallel to the floor.

band%20sizing.jpg

whatever your get, is your band size. You should not be rounding up! (unless the number is an odd number, round up 1) Most companies will have you add 4 or 5 inches, but all that will do is give you a band size that's too big. I've noticed VS will measure you above your bust, this is also not correct. Why? because you don't wear the band that high.

This is incorrect
howtomeasure_02ok.jpg

So to get your bra size you need to measure the following ways:
main-qimg-089f28438e5e10467798e7bc06752ca5

This is the simple way. It will give you a general idea of what size you need.
Also Do not meaure yourself with a bra on. A padded bra will add on inches, and a sports bra will make your bust smaller than it is.

Fun Sized Psycho

Supporter
Daps
I'm going to give you a calculator that is a little more involved. This calculator requires 6 measurements.

2 seperate underbust measurements (a "breaking the tape" measurement-as tight as you can get the measuring tape without breaking it; and a "snug measurement-something that is comfortable, but not loose)

and then 3 overbust measurements- 1 with you standing raight up, 1 with you bent over, and 1 with you leaning back on something flat

latest

These measurements are because breasts are different. And breasts sit differently for different women. More often than not, the 3 measurements will be different, but sometimes they're the same. Some women need to go by the standing measurement, some need to go by the leaning, some need to go by the laying measurement, and some need to use the average of the 3.

This calculator will give you bra sizes in UK sizes. Bra Size Calculator below the size it gives you, there is a conversion for both band and cup sizes, but if you're only planning on buying bras from the UK or US, you don't need to look at the other sizes. If you're going to buy UK sizes you don't need to convert to US sizes (because you most likely won't be able to buy the US size)

Okay, now that we got 'sizing' out of the way. I do need to tell you, we can't stop there. (well you can if you want)

However, just like how there's various body shapes (pear, hourglass, apple etc), there's different shapes to breasts.

There are 4 aspects I'll talk about

*The word Root refers to the point of attachment- where your breast attach to your chest wall

1 'root' width (how wide)

The root width is how much space your breasts take up on your chest, going from left to right. There's 3 main widths- narrow, average, and wide. Don't assume because you're thin you have narrow roots, or that because you're fat you have wide roots. I'm on the thinner side of average bodywise, but my breast root is on the wider side. Wide breasts are breasts where the {breast} tissue is close to/in the armpits. Narrow breasts are breast where the tissue is farther from the armpits. Average is somewhere in between.
Here is how to tell what you're root is Where's the Root of Your Breasts | Bratabase
root.png

2 'root' height

The root height is also how much space your breasts take up on your chest, but it goes from the top to the bottom. Root height, along with width may not be the easiest to figure out. It is easier to tell when you are wearing a bra in the right size. I think one helpful trick is to push your breasts up. If your breasts can go all the way up to your collar bone (mine do), then you have tall roots. If your breast tissue barely goes up past your armpits, you have short roots, and somewhere in between is average
examples:

This woman appears to have tall roots, although it could be the airbrushing.
69fe8b6d-8f7e-455c-94fc-0e5e505f0cf9.jpg

From this pic Sofia appears to have average roots; They're not at her collarbone, and they seem to be above where her armpit is
1041.jpg

In this pic below Rihanna appears to have short roots; her breasts look like they start where her armpit is, and they're far from her collar bone
images

3 where the tissue sits (breast fullness)

This may come across as confusing, so I'll try to break it down as best I can. Because in addition to having wide/narrow roots, or tall/short roots, where the bulk of your tissue sits will effect the fit of a bra. I don't want this to be confuse with root height or width.

vertically- where is most of your tissue is located. Again, you have 3 options, and this probably won't be apparent. Full on top- that means when properly fitted a lot/most of your breast tissue will be at the upper of your breasts--- You can have short roots AND be full on top. Full on bottom means when properly fitted most of your tissue is on the bottom. Most women when trying to figure this out believe they are full on bottom, because of gravity. Of course, there is also what's in the middle, which in this istance we will call even. The easiest way to tell if you're full on top, or full on bottom is by leaning over (90 degrees). If your nipples point toward your head OR you feel as though there's more tissue below your nipple- you are full on bottom; If your nipples point toward your feet OR you feel as though there is more tissue above your nipple then you are full on top.

Horizontal- There's 2; center full- meaning a lot of the tissue is in between your breasts; outer full- meaning a lot of tissue is on the outer part of your breasts.

tumblr_inline_nlex97Z0or1tq4fw7.png

YePBbfJ.png

4 the amount of projection you have

Projection is hoow much your breasts stand out from your chest wall. The 2 main ones are Shallow, and Projected. Most women are projected. The easist way I can describe shallow is-- if you've ever seen someone that was very flat chested. what you would call an A cup. Yes, someone with bigger breasts can be shallow. If your breast root is wide, and tall you will most likely be shallow, or closer to shallow.
This image below is the only way I can show what shallow and projected are
5fe62a65b53d2902bf0117694a8204cc.png

The bowl to the left would be considered shallow, and the cup to the far right would be considered projected--- just think of the mouth of the cup/bowl to be where the breast would connect to the torso. Shallow breasts take up more space.
Breasts that are saggy will most likely go in the projected category.

These 4 things are important because they will effect the way your bra fits.
I own these 2 bras in the same size, and one fits, but the other one doesn't because it is for different shape characteristics than what I have. The red fit me like it was made for me, but the black cut in a little at the top, because it is made for someone with 'full on bottom' breasts
cleo.jpg

91O4eaOx9tL._UX385_.jpg

Last edited:

Fun Sized Psycho

Supporter
Daps
I do also want to mention that there is a correct way to put a bra on.
You should not be putting a bra on by clasping it in front of you and turning it around.
StaticHTMLImageGroup.StaticHTMLImageFile3_1492671220934.jpg

Ways to tell if you're wearing an ill fitting bra:
fitting-part-2.jpg

tips-on-finding-the-right-bra.jpg

this bra is way too small, but it could be a shape issue, or it culd be a size issue, or both.
quadraboob.png

Fun Sized Psycho

Supporter
Daps
yeah i got a proper bra fitting and my girls feel so much better.
from an ill-fitting 40D, to 42D, to a proper 38 DDD :ahh:
:patrice:
Use the calculator and see what you get.

But you just reminded me, I wanted to make a post about bra sizes by company.
So I'm not a 36D?
um... I've never seen you, but I'm going to say, probably not, unless your somewhat big with small breasts. Did you use the calculator?

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
VS doesn't train their workers correctly (I used to work there and passed their bras a long time ago, girl was still trying to get me to buy something :no:), either use a more seasoned worker or go to Macy's.
Before and after pics (sorry that they're so big)
If you are wearing the correct size, you will not have cleavage.

This is untrue, it depends on how rounded and full your breasts are.

Fun Sized Psycho

Supporter
Daps
I got fitted somewhat a long time ago and I was a 40DD. I'm afraid to find out what I am now.
Okay. Quick question. Are you 'plus size' or a big girl? If not you're most likely not wearing the right size. If you have BIG breasts your probably aren't wearing the right size. A 40 band means your plus size. My mom is a 40 band and she's around a 2X (she's losing weight though)
I have small boobs (bcups) and have never been fitted, but I still want to go check and see if I'm wearing the right size. Idk why lol

I think it'd be weird though.
Just put your measurements into the calculator.
I think a lot of people do get scared. And there's also 'letterphobia'. Thinking you are 1 size, but when you're told you're bigger than a B/C/D cup it can be daunting.

I'm at work now, but I will post some threads from Reddit of people happy that they're wearing the correct size (since going on abrathatfits)

Fun Sized Psycho

Supporter
Daps
This is untrue, it depends on how rounded and full your breasts are.
If you're wearing the correct size and style you shouldn't have cleavage. Look at the before and after pics I posted. None of them have cleavage.
If you wear a tshirt bra (with no seams) it's probably the wrong cut for your shape.