Boyce Watkins: Eminem's great, but is a product of white privilege

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Dr Boyce on Vlad talking about cornball ass Eminem.
Says Eminem is a product of white privilege for 2 reasons-
1: He gets the Elvis effect
2: Get artist freedom in the sense that his content is not being forced to be a one dimensional artist.

Glad Boyce is speaking out about Eminem. Of course he's not as popular as he once was, but we all know how they love to rewrite history. Vlad points out that by numbers alone, Eminem could be considered the king of hip hop. :aicmon:
:scust:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It really disgusts me how so many people have been cowardly when it comes to going at Eminem. There are tons of ammunition they have now and even back then that could embarrass him but they all just stay on his jock and dikkride him in interviews. He probably is at the height of hip hop history when it comes to the vast ammo that emcees could use against him in a diss record that could bring him back down to earth.

It really annoys me he is at the height of the game like this. Dudes say the racist tapes were ages ago when he was younger and he should be forgiven, as if he did not recently had a verse making fun of Janay Rice's abuse, again making a mockery of black women.

Last edited:

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm getting tired of vlad. But I like hearing Dr. Boyce speak on different topics in the black community because he just tells the truth. I like how he broke down eminem is a corporate rapper and he has more freedom to say what he wants.

I agree, vlad is wack. The only reason I watched this was bc of boyce honestly. i usually find myself agreeing with Boyce, and I like the fact that he makes the distinction between hip hop and corporate hip hop.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
He doesn't have the Elvis effect for many, many reasons.

Number one, he's never released a phenomenal, game changing album in the vein of Nas, Rakim & Eric B, Wu-Tang Clan/Rakweon, Outkast, 2 Pac or even Kanye West and now might as well add Kendric Lamar. He's released good albums (Infinite, Marshall Mathers, The Eminem Show and Encore) that sold well, but he's never released something that's never been a must listen to per se, in the same vein as an Illmatic, Paid in Full, All Eyez on Me, Graduation or Late Registration. Try putting any album he's released up against Only Built 4 Cuban Linux or 36th Chambers, or his latest album against To Pimp A Butterfly. It's night and day.

Also, while I agree a 100 percent with him that album sales mean jack and shyt as long as the musics good, but again, most critical acclaimed hip-hop albums, most artistic mediums had some form or another of corporate backing. Just because something is corporate doesn't make it bad, shyt there were plenty of "corporate" backed rock artist that made it work, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, NIN, SOAD etc.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps

Number one, he's never released a phenomenal, game changing album in the vein of Nas, Rakim & Eric B, Wu-Tang Clan/Rakweon, Outkast, 2 Pac or even Kanye West and now might as well add Kendric Lamar. He's released good albums (Infinite, Marshall Mathers, The Eminem Show and Encore) that sold well, but he's never released something that's never been a must listen to per se, in the same vein as an Illmatic, Paid in Full, All Eyez on Me, Graduation or Late Registration. Try putting any album he's released up against Only Built 4 Cuban Linux or 36th Chambers, or his latest album against To Pimp A Butterfly. It's night and day.

Also, while I agree a 100 percent with him that album sales mean jack and shyt as long as the musics good, but again, most critical acclaimed hip-hop albums, most artistic mediums had some form or another of corporate backing. Just because something is corporate doesn't make it bad, shyt there were plenty of "corporate" backed rock artist that made it work, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, NIN, SOAD etc.
You're speaking as a hip hop fan. Eminem's fanbase is built mostly on people who do not primarily listen to that kind of music. Eminem has the elvis effect in the sense that people who have a problem with black people but want our products can enjoy the music that eminem makes. He does not need to release a game changing album, he's changing the game if his albums do numbers. He's spreading to a wider audience and making profits that could be going to black artists.

TheBeigeBomber

#Fukkery
Daps
It really disgusts me how so many people have been cowardly when it comes to going at Eminem. There are tons of ammunition they have now and even back then that could embarrass him but they all just stay on his jock and dikkride him in interviews. He probably is at the height of hip hop history when it comes to the vast ammo that emcees could use against him in a diss record that could bring him back down to earth.

It really annoys me he is at the height of the game like this. Dudes say the racist tapes were ages ago when he was younger and he should be forgiven, as if he did not recently had a verse making fun of Janay Rice's abuse, again making a mockery of black woman.

because his pen skills are fukking nasty.

ridedolo

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Edit: responded to the wrong person. I disagree with you

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps

I don't even care about this cac or the OBVIOUS reasons he was so popular...

I like you're break down on corporate artist and how that doesn't always mean garbage. :ehh: