Boxers: Tips on Getting Faster Hands?

HE_Pennypacker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
All sounds good, but you can't do 50 push ups day. I tried that and found out that the muscles need time to recover so do it every other day. Muscles like abs you can work everyday

Your body will adapt. I used to work doing heavy manual lifting 5 days a week for 12 hour days. My forearms, traps, core and shoulders were killing me for the first 2 weeks, but I adapted. I just ate more and they got bigger and stronger. It's the same with all manual labourers/construction workers. It's why they say "if you really wanna get strong, get a construction/farm/roofing, etc job." You'll do far more volume than you ever have

50 pushups is nothing. If it's that taxing, you need to get stronger and fitter.

i was doing two minutes of shadowboxing with 1 minute breaks in-between..for 10 minutes

A nikka never realized how outta shape he was:damn:

nothing like boxing to remind how unfit you are :mjcry:

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Shadow box with small weights. Im using 7.5lb weights right now which probably effects power more then speed. I was using 3 pound weights for a while, that probably helps with soeed more. Practice throwing jabs, hooks and uppercuts with both hands, especially your weaker hand. Switch it up and try a southpaw stance. You can also stand with your feet hip length apart and throw as many jabs as fast as you can. And punch upward sometimes too, at an obtuse angle. Throw uppercuts as fast as you can too in the same stance.

Thats alotta different things to do, you can work alotta different muscles by shadowboxing with weights in your hands. These muscles will improve your speed and power, its basically like a plyometric boxing workout.
I always thought punching w weights would be rough on your ligaments?

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
I didn't even see that thread :mjlol:

No, I was asking because I want faster hands. In muay Thai I've been told I have fast hands a couple of times, one included "especially for a big man" (I'm 6'4). So I want my hands even faster, on some goku instant transmission stuff.

That's perfect my brother, knowledge is the first step so let's get put on game and and then add the game to our strategy.:blessed:
Breh go get a pair of 16oz everlast from Sports Authority for $30 and shadowbox 10 minutes a day. Your hands will get muccccch faster.

Columbo

Lieutenant
Daps
Reppin
Homicide Investigations
I always thought punching w weights would be rough on your ligaments?
I always thought so too. I had problems from lifting weights but since I stopped and started doing what im doing now, no problems yet knock on wood, ive been using them 7.5 weights since June now.

I was using 3 pound weights before that til I seen Mayweather using weights that looked like 10 pounds

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
For boxing workouts with the bag etc for cardio, what weight gloves should I get?

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
Since you don't have access to a speed bag then use your imagination
Get 5 pound wrist weights(each hand 5pounds).Then start imitating the movements of the speed bag and going full speed,do this Monday through Friday-5 sets,60 seconds
Afterwards,start working on your jabbing speed,throw 500 jabs a day with a wrist weight on and each week add 100 jabs until your jabbing 1000 times a day.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm going to tell you how I developed my sharpness and hand speed.

If you're fairly experinced with how to throw a proper punch, start your form back at square one. Practice throwing with perfect form while keeping your body as loose as you possibly can. Do not try to force power into the punches at all, nor tighten up. Make sure your punch form is perfect in both delivery and timing of all the extra movements that make up a proper punch like the push from the back foot, the rotation of your hips, your front foot digging into the ground so you aren't carried by your own momentum until finally letting the compounded force travel out thru your shoulder. Make sure you have all the tiny motions in their correct sequence,, they should flow perfectly together once you get it down.

Now there's a key here that's hard to explain. You have to throw with a certain level of emptiness in your hands. Like you should be doing 0 pushing from your upper body, all the force should come from the rotation of your hips/torso. You should be initiating your punches from around your pelvis, maybe even your feet. Your arms and shoulders are just a vehicle for delivering the power from the lower body . When you do it right you should feel the force/weight transfer flowing through your arms. It'll feel like your limb is running or being carried by the movement. HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING, that is a measure of how potent your strike will be with any sort of MA move especially kicks.

Practice for a year or two throwing these kinds of punches and you'll wake up one day amazed at the difference. Also if you want to throw fastish combinations, intiate the beginning movements of the second attack as the first one is getting there. For example if you're throwing a fast 1-2, begin the cross with the pivot of your back foot just as the jab is getting there. shyt can look like god-mode hand speed some days lol