Box Office Bombs Have Paramount Losing Over $500M in Next 2 Years

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
ok, if that's the case, why don't they just say that the total movie budget is $250M instead of $135M then????

Because no one really knows how much it costs to market because rarely do they release those numbers. Plus when you only include the production budget it makes it easy to spin your first week numbers or your numbers overall. But then when an autopsy like this comes out the truth comes out.

Plus turtles would be a failure on the strength that the first one made double what this one did.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Because no one really knows how much it costs to market because rarely do they release those numbers. Plus when you only include the production budget it makes it easy to spin your first week numbers or your numbers overall. But then when an autopsy like this comes out the truth comes out.

Plus turtles would be a failure on the strength that the first one made double what this one did.

so you're telling me that these billion dollar companies aren't keeping track of the hundreds of millions they spend on promoting these big budget films????? :mindblown:

that lack of accountability wreaks of gross incompetance.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so you're telling me that these billion dollar companies aren't keeping track of the hundreds of millions they spend on promoting these big budget films????? :mindblown:

that lack of accountability wreaks of gross incompetance.

Nah its not that. They're keeping track but when I say "no one" i mean cats like me and you...they keep that a secret from the media and from the public so its easier to spin. i work in communications, lol i know the game.

Also another separate factor to think about when we say they should just make smaller movies: a lot of smaller movies are green lit on the strength of what the big movies will do. They use movies like turtles and star trek to pay for the smaller budget movies. Your tentpoles make it feasible for you to do your smaller or more prestigious type pics. When the tentpoles don't pan out, it's tougher to get original smaller material

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Nah its not that. They're keeping track but when I say "no one" i mean cats like me and you...they keep that a secret from the media and from the public so its easier to spin. i work in communications, lol i know the game.

Also another separate factor to think about when we say they should just make smaller movies: a lot of smaller movies are green lit on the strength of what the big movies will do. They use movies like turtles and star trek to pay for the smaller budget movies. Your tentpoles make it feasible for you to do your smaller or more prestigious type pics. When the tentpoles don't pan out, it's tougher to get original smaller material
Plus theirs a lot of deals going on with marketing deals that we aren't privy to.

I remember reading minions having a marketing budget of over 500 million

'Minions' takes over box office. Why $600M in marketing was worth it. (+video)

But a lot of that is co-financed with companies like mcdonalds.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Plus theirs a lot of deals going on with marketing deals that we aren't privy to.

I remember reading minions having a marketing budget of over 500 million

'Minions' takes over box office. Why $600M in marketing was worth it. (+video)

But a lot of that is co-financed with companies like mcdonalds.

Yup. licensing is huge. It's how a movie can truly make money on the back end. But not all of that money goes back to the studio. Cats make balk at product placement in movies but that shyt is a necessary evil at times

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Im.not an expert and I could have told them more one is interested in a Ben Hurr movie in 2016 especially coupled with poor marketing
Nobody is interested in sand and sandal films in 2016 period.

They haven't in a while. When's the last time one of these big budget films has been successful?

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
Theater gets a cut. Plus you're not adding in marketing. If a movie costs 240 to produce it probably costs another 100-200 to advertise. So that's at least 340M you need to recoup but if the theater gets their cut and distributors get there's, that 105 isn't really 105. If the movie costs 135 you want to make at least 300-400
I always had an issue with the marketing thing because don't they get partners to subsidize the cost of the marketing, for example you'll have a movie do a cell phone or car advertisemnt commercial, doesn't say At&The and Cadillac pay for the adds thereby undercutting studios overall cost. Whole shytty seems fishy:francis:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I always had an issue with the marketing thing because don't they get partners to subsidize the cost of the marketing, for example you'll have a movie do a cell phone or car advertisemnt commercial, doesn't say At&The and Cadillac pay for the adds thereby undercutting studios overall cost. Whole shytty seems fishy:francis:
They do. That's why you take them on as partners

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Here are the remaining movies Paramount will release in 2016. Wonder how many will flop?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
aAmU7IX.jpg

Jack Reacher must uncover the truth behind a major government conspiracy in order to clear his name. On the run as a fugitive from the law, Reacher uncovers a potential secret from his past that could change his life forever.
Directed By: Edward Zwick
Starring: Tom Cruise
Budget: $96 million
(10/21/2016)

Rings
NJ8XSn1.jpg

Samara returns with a familiar video tape to strike terror again in the third film of the Ring series.
Directed By: F. Javier Gutiérrez
Starring: Aimee Teegarden, Johnny Galecki and Bonnie Morgan
Budget: $33 million
(10/28/2016)

Arrival
HrHd3Ds.jpg

A linguist is recruited by the military to assist in translating alien communications.
Directed By: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker
Budget: $50 million
(11/11/2016)

Allied
hJPRCRn.jpg

The story of intelligence officer Max Vatan (Brad Pitt), who in 1942 North Africa encounters French Resistance fighter Marianne Beausejour (Marion Cotillard) on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Reunited in London, their relationship is threatened by the extreme pressures of the war.
Directed By: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard
Budget: Unknown
(11/23/2016)

Office Christmas Party
KpGu9oG.jpg

When his uptight CEO sister threatens to shut down his branch, the branch manager throws an epic Christmas party in order to land a big client and save the day, but the party gets way out of hand.
Directed By: Josh Gordon & Will Speck
Starring: T.J. Miller, Kate McKinnon, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn and Jason Bateman
(12/9/2016)

Fences
IM69BBR.jpg

An African American father struggles with race relations in the United States while trying to raise his family in the 1950s and coming to terms with the events of his life.
Directed By: Denzel Washington
Starring: Denzel Washington and Viola Davis
(12/16/2016)

Silence
qVvKexG.jpg

In the seventeenth century, two Jesuit priests face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and propagate Christianity.
Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver
Budget: $51 million
(12/22/2016)

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yup. licensing is huge. It's how a movie can truly make money on the back end. But not all of that money goes back to the studio. Cats make balk at product placement in movies but that shyt is a necessary evil at times

Yup.

Rule of thumb is that you pretty much have to rake in double what you make production wise to have a chance to break even.

You gotta pray for good licensing and movie tie in deals as well as good bluray/dvd/streaming numbers to even break even after doubling your production numbers with the box office receipts.

I still don't understand how Turtles 2 did that much worse than the first.

And again with Beh Hurr....who asked for that shyt???
ibbB3FqGS88NAY.gif

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Here are the remaining movies Paramount will release in 2016. Wonder how many will flop?

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
aAmU7IX.jpg

Directed By: Edward Zwick
Starring: Tom Cruise
(10/21/2016)

Rings
NJ8XSn1.jpg

Directed By: F. Javier Gutiérrez
Starring: Aimee Teegarden, Johnny Galecki and Bonnie Morgan
(10/28/2016)

Arrival
HrHd3Ds.jpg

Directed By: Denis Villeneuve
Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker
(11/11/2016)

Allied
hJPRCRn.jpg

Directed By: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard
(11/23/2016)

Office Christmas Party
KpGu9oG.jpg

Directed By: Josh Gordon & Will Speck
Starring: T.J. Miller, Kate McKinnon, Jennifer Aniston, Olivia Munn and Jason Bateman
(12/9/2016)

Fences
IM69BBR.jpg

Directed By: Denzel Washington
Starring: Denzel Washington and Viola Davis
(12/16/2016)

Silence
qVvKexG.jpg

Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver
(12/22/2016)
What's the budgets?

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ok, if that's the case, why don't they just say that the total movie budget is $250M instead of $135M then????

The truth of the matter and why only production costs are posted is because studios DO NOT REVEAL how much is spent on marketing and advertising. That's a totally different financial budget that is being maintained and it also has its own revenue. Even though a lot of money is spent, there's also a lot of money from sponsors, brands, franchises, and merchandise that's coming in as well in the marketing campaign of a film. So, the numbers are rather unknown due to a lot of unknown factors that comes along with marketing. That's why it is disingenuous for so-called articles making up fabricated numbers without source or proof of how much a studio spend on marketing. That's a totally different budget in which is taken care of. Financers have a capital budget plan with a payback period and net present value of in and out cash flows. So all of that marketing money has already been factored in and not related to the actual gross numbers of the movie itself.

And a nutshell, it is easier to just account for how much the movie was specifically MADE and how much money that movie specifically earned in theaters. For a film to be viewed as a success, it should recoup double its budget.