Bout It the movie was huge in 1997 yet as time has passed it doesn't get mentioned when bringing up classic 90's hood movies.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
The word of mouth on this movie was serious because it was a thing to say you actually saw it in 97 even tho it wasn't in theaters. You could only see it by VHS tape. Looking at it in 2024 it's very Tubi'ish but we didn't care about that in 97. NYC jumped on the No Limit wave because of this movie. ( Off topic, I still feel a type of way with Camron remixing Bout It for the Paid In Full soundtrack. I wasnt feeling Harlem jacking a south sound for such a movie. Cam shoulda linked up with Dame Grease and made something strictly for Harlem instead of doing a cheat code). The word of mouth alone puts this movie in the "classic" category because it was the biggest hood movie in the 90's to do so without being in theaters.

And the soundtrack was fire as well. The 90's was the last era of the hot movie with the hot soundtrack . Mystikal really was letting us know he was gonna be a problem in the future with this. I'd go as far as saying this is an example of a perfect song.

theblueprint for all hood movies

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Killa season in the wild.

Seems to have little permeation with the new gen as well.

A lot of hood classics have little permeation to the younger gen.

Plus they are too sensitive to watch certain shyt with.
as they get hung up on.
past social acceptance and differences. Instead of just gaining knowledge.

Real difficult to have these discussions about things.
that used to be general discussions.
or jokes in the black community.

Like if I said out in public.
anywhere hood back in the day out loud.

If i said.. lookit those....WHEELS..

Someone in public.
I did not know in the black community.
would follow up with the odawg from menace ADLIB OF...WHEELS...

Spit loud in public...I doubt if I did that today. I would get the same call and response reaction in public today. Plus not many would relate. While looking like a misappropriated scene.
from the offbrand misappropriation style foreshadow.

to now movie called havoc.

Art Barr

Last edited: