Boston is 26% Black (Unofficial Boston Thread LFGI)

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Here's what a growing Black population looks like​

April 06, 2023

The Black population in Greater Boston continues to grow, especially in communities outside of the city, and it's becoming one of the most diverse Black populations of any metro area in the nation. This is according to a new report from Boston Indicators and Embrace Boston titled, Great Migration to Global Immigration: A Profile of Black Boston, which is out today.
Report co-author James Jennings joins The Common for a deeper look at how the region's Black population continues to grow and change

*Was going to post this and tag Boston area members, but it made more sense to just post it here. I put up a parallel thread in The Root, with a pdf of the report

Last edited:

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
*Was going to post this and tag Boston area members, but it made more sense to just post it here. I put up a parallel thread in The Root, though

Here's what a growing Black population looks like​

April 06, 2023

The Black population in Greater Boston continues to grow, especially in communities outside of the city, and it's becoming one of the most diverse Black populations of any metro area in the nation. This is according to a new report from Boston Indicators and Embrace Boston titled, Great Migration to Global Immigration: A Profile of Black Boston, which is out today.
Report co-author James Jennings joins The Common for a deeper look at how the region's Black population continues to grow and change

*full report

Honestly I’m surprised it says its growing, going by the metric data of last year it suggested there was an influx of black flight and people leaving for the dmv, houston, and atl specifically

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
Visited Boston last summer for the first time and enjoyed it. I thought it would be nothing but cacs.

I was chilling with my girl and they family who Dominican and they entire community was cool as hell

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Honestly I’m surprised it says its growing, going by the metric data of last year it suggested there was an influx of black flight and people leaving for the dmv, houston, and atl specifically
It's the metro black population that's growing. The city is dropping, most recent data from '21 estimates suggest the city is down to around 21.3% black. Which, that's still more than 1 of every 5 Bostonites being black, that's still a substantial number, it's still blacker than most people think Boston is...

As I said upthread I think people would be highly surprised if they hit The Bean. I went five years ago and black folk were everywhere, on the trains, downtown, walking the streets, etc. It's not a city that you actually have to go searching black folk out---->there's ~140,000 of us living in the actual city limits 😂...

I live in Raleigh, and it, and Nashville, are kind of southern parallels to Boston in a few ways, like smaller scale, southern versions of Boston. One parallel, people don't typically think of either as cities with alot of black folk. They look at both as cracker cities. And while, like Boston, there's plenty of white folk here, and the white culture is kind of the overriding public image of both, there is a grip of black history and black people in both (Raleigh around 26.7% black, Nashville 26.2%)...

Both cities aren't cities you have to go searching for black folk in. You'll find us in short order without even trying even if your initial entry to the city is a sea of whiteness...

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
It's the metro black population that's growing. The city is dropping, most recent data from '21 estimates suggest the city is down to around 21.3% black. Which, that's still more than 1 of every 5 Bostonites being black, that's still a substantial number, it's still blacker than most people think Boston is...

As I said upthread I think people would be highly surprised if they hit The Bean. I went five years ago and black folk were everywhere, on the trains, downtown, walking the streets, etc. It's not a city that you actually have to go searching black folk out---->there's ~140,000 of us living in the actual city limits 😂...

I live in Raleigh, and it, and Nashville, are kind of southern parallels to Boston in a few ways, like smaller scale, southern versions of Boston. One parallel, people don't typically think of either as cities with alot of black folk. They look at both as cracker cities. And while, like Boston, there's plenty of white folk here, and the white culture is kind of the overriding public image of both, there is a grip of black history and black people in both (Raleigh around 26.7% black, Nashville 26.2%)...

Both cities aren't cities you have to go searching for black folk in. You'll find us in short order without even trying even if your initial entry to the city is a sea of whiteness...
Raleigh always felt like it had a visibly black enclave even though it may not be as strong as charlotte. Nashville though I understand it doesn’t feel like a visibly black city. What I don’t understand is that Boston birthed some legends here. New Jack swing was made here (it should have been the regional sound), X And K went to school here. There’s no reason Boston shouldn’t been seen as a visibly black city on the map

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It was a Boston Globe article that my cousin sent me that made me aware of the report. The article points out what/why.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
It was a Boston Globe article that my cousin sent me that made me aware of the report. The article points out what/why.

Yeah just went thru, I guess if that's how they are defining black boston then it make sense

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods

By Peter Ciurczak and Luc Schuster, Boston Indicators, and James Jennings, PhD. Professor Emeritus, Tufts University

April 7, 2023

Symbolized by the unveiling of The Embrace - the memorial to Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King and dozens of other Boston civil rights leaders - new efforts have blossomed to help realize the unfulfilled promise of racial equity in our region. Recent political organizing has generated a new class of Black elected leadership. And the public discourse has shifted, with more people newly open to considering policy steps to repair past harms and build systems that are truly inclusive and welcoming. But there remains work to be done.

With this backdrop, Great Migration to Global Immigration: A Profile of Black Boston analyzes the region’s unique and growing intra-Black diversity, explores how the growing Black middle-class has helped revitalize cities and towns outside of Boston’s inner core, and details how disparities by income and wealth manifest across Black communities.

For the full report with lots of detail and analysis, click "Download the Report," below. For select highlights, continue scrolling below for brief discussion of nine key charts

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Raleigh always felt like it had a visibly black enclave even though it may not be as strong as charlotte. Nashville though I understand it doesn’t feel like a visibly black city. What I don’t understand is that Boston birthed some legends here. New Jack swing was made here (it should have been the regional sound), X And K went to school here. There’s no reason Boston shouldn’t been seen as a visibly black city on the map
I remember when I lived in Western New York, black people there have a high perception of Carolina and Florida cities in general. Maybe that's a Northeast thing...

Down here, even in other parts of Carolina from The Met (Columbia) to even Fayetteville which is just an hour away, people view Raleigh as a preppy, Caucasian city. I think in part that's due to the fact Raleigh has never had as large a black population as most other big Carolina cities. Even today, the major Carolina cities are:

Spartanburg 44.1% black
Fayetteville 42.1%
Greensboro 41.8%
Greenville NC 40.4%

Columbia 38.6%
Durham 36.3%
Charlotte 33.5%
Winston-Salem 32.6%

Raleigh 26.7%
Greenville SC 23.2%

Charleston 19.8%
Wilmington 17.4%
Myrtle Beach 14.5%
Asheville 10.6%

You know the old saying, "perception is reality". Raleigh has a strong black history and stronger black representation in a plethora of lifestyles, more than almost all the blacker cities except Charlotte. But Raleigh has never been 30% black...

Both Wilmington and Charleston are under 20% black today, but Wilmington historically was a majority black city from slavery era until that Klan shyt:

And Charleston historically was 40-50% black the majority of its history. My point is these cities are far whiter than Raleigh is today, but both were significantly blacker at peak than Raleigh, and bear the legacy of their historical blackness that stands out more in the minds of Carolinians than Raleigh, even though Raleigh is the second largest and second most important city down here...

My point is, while northerners seem to view Raleigh's blackness favorably, most Carolinians don't view it as a visibly black city, even though it is, and like Boston, it should be viewed as it is. Raleigh has two HBCUs abd like many other places in the US, black folk helped build the foundation of Raleigh to what it is today...

Mega

Superstar
Daps
“Best fried chicken” on Blue Hill Ave by Ali’s Roti
That is one those off brand "Kennedy Fried Chicken" type spots.. :scusthov:

What’s y’all best fried chicken spots?
My personal favorites are

Maxine's On St. James in Roxbury.

This Dominican joint called Pollo Centro in Dorchester on Bowdoin st.
And ZAZ's over in Hyde Park. A bit expensive but food is A1.:ohlawd: