Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
I keep this next to my bible. Essential!

Destruction-of-Black-Civilization.png

beautiful book

IronFist

⛩️ 18 Arhat ⛩️
Supporter
Daps
The title of her book below is _ Societies, Religion, and History: Central-East Tanzanians and the World They Created, c. 200 BCE to 1800 CE. (2009)_. This text uses the tool of historical comparative linguistics to piece together a more complete history of central east Tanzania. Beyond this one modern state of Africa, this text is instructive for African history in general and Bantu languages and cultures more specifically. It is a valuable tool for reconstructing a much misunderstood aspect of African history. You all should get to know her work and incorporate her research into your ongoing studies.

Description:

Scholars often equate a Swahili presence with the moment history began on the Tanzanian central coast. In this book, Rhonda M. Gonzales proposes an altogether different and more comprehensive narrative.

Societies, Religion, and History is the first study to apply historical linguistic methods to the Bantu-speaking peoples of the coastal and interior regions of central east Tanzania, individuals and communities who later became part of the Swahili world. The Seuta and Ruvu Bantu societies were entrenched along the coast and interior of Tanzania for centuries before Swahili-speaking populations expanded their towns and settlements southward along the East African coastline.

Making use of historical linguistics, the findings of cutting-edge archaeologists, ethnographic sources, and her own extensive field research, Gonzales unfolds a historical panorama of thriving societies engaged in vibrant cross-cultural exchange and prosperous regional and transoceanic networks. According to Gonzales, scholars need to integrate these communities into their stories if they are to compose a full and satisfying history of central eastern Tanzania. Recovering this history requires close attention to the happenings of the interior, often misleadingly referred to—and treated—as hinterland. Toward that end, Gonzales combines a challenging range of historical resources to build a long-term history of the social, cultural, and religious beliefs and practices of the region as they have developed over the past 2,000 years.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
@Cheeky Reshi :wow:

i just finished the 2nd book. :wow:

bast, elodin, and auri are my favorites easily :banderas:can't wipe the grin off my face when they show up

but why you put me on to this series knowing im gonna have to wait for the last book now :why: i feel sick :sadbron:

bouta knock out his dark materials while i wait tho :lupe:

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Just finished this

americangods__span.jpg

shyt was incredible. About to read his other book Neverwhere
i read the comic version of neverwhere, it was pretty dope :lupe:

just bought this book

ACACIA_Cover.jpg

fantasy novel written by a black author :ehh:
I've been sitting on the pdf of this in a minute, just haven't opened it yet cuz im finishing my re-read of the dune series and the his dark materials series :lupe:

had no idea the author was black tho :ohhh:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
i'm rereading catcher in the rye and some short stories my murakami. i'm also about to go in on deathnote. figure i'd get some manga in before i start my education again.

I like Murakami, though he can go into the deep end sometimes with his imagination.

I own Man's Search for Meaning, and What Everybody is saying is on my wishlist. I'm big into body language.

Just finished this

americangods__span.jpg

shyt was incredible. About to read his other book Neverwhere

Great book. I didn't understand the ending, though.

Nobuo Uematsu

Elegant Black Mage
Daps
just bought this book

ACACIA_Cover.jpg

fantasy novel written by a black author :ehh:

Ahhh that's my joint. Durham inspired me to write my own fantasy novels. Stick with the series, it gets a little crazy toward the middle of book two but it pays off.

Y'all nikkas reading real heavy. I just finished grad school and I'm reading all brain candy right now.

Just stared my third re-read of A Game of Thrones the other day. Got McBride's Good Lord Bird queued up and about to cop Kiese Laymon's How Slowly To Kill Yourself and Others in America (GET THAT SHYT)

797192.jpg

This weekend I read I Have The Right To Destroy Myself by Young-ha Kim, it's some surreal depressing type literary stuff but the prose is amazing and the characters are interesting.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Ahhh that's my joint. Durham inspired me to write my own fantasy novels. Stick with the series, it gets a little crazy toward the middle of book two but it pays off.

Y'all nikkas reading real heavy. I just finished grad school and I'm reading all brain candy right now.

Just stared my third re-read of A Game of Thrones the other day. Got McBride's Good Lord Bird queued up and about to cop Kiese Laymon's How Slowly To Kill Yourself and Others in America (GET THAT SHYT)

797192.jpg

This weekend I read I Have The Right To Destroy Myself by Young-ha Kim, it's some surreal depressing type literary stuff but the prose is amazing and the characters are interesting.

whenever you finish your novel and have it up on amazon or something let me know and I'll buy it

Nobuo Uematsu

Elegant Black Mage
Daps
whenever you finish your novel and have it up on amazon or something let me know and I'll buy it

Good lookin out, breh. :salute:

I actually finished a novel for National Novel Writing Month, but it's kinda amateurish so i'm not gonna charge for it. I'm gonna put it up on Wattpad so folks can read it for free.