Books - what are you reading? (Official Book Thread)

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Getting to the end of this.
Inferno-cover.jpg

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Anyone else skip all the "Note from Author", "Introduction", etc. crap in the beginning of a book and go straight into Chapter 1? I'm just starting to read The Brothers Karamazov, and it has an "About the Author", "Note from Author" (note that it's not even from Dostoevsky himself but the person who translated it), and something else I don't remember... Someone I know said they read all that crap in the beginning to "put themselves in the mood" to read the book. I just think it makes me not wanna read the book a little bit. Unless it's an introduction written by the author himself, then I won't read it.

mattlanta

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Anyone else skip all the "Note from Author", "Introduction", etc. crap in the beginning of a book and go straight into Chapter 1? I'm just starting to read The Brothers Karamazov, and it has an "About the Author", "Note from Author" (note that it's not even from Dostoevsky himself but the person who translated it), and something else I don't remember... Someone I know said they read all that crap in the beginning to "put themselves in the mood" to read the book. I just think it makes me not wanna read the book a little bit. Unless it's an introduction written by the author himself, then I won't read it.

BezO

Highbrow
Daps
Reppin
NYC -> DC
I typically start a few books then decide which I will finish 1st. Right now:

The Untold History of the United States by Oliver Stone & Peter Kuznick
Bird: The Life and Music of Charlie Parker by Chuck Haddix
Duke: A Life of Duke Ellington by Terry Teachout
The Kybalion: Hermetic Philosophy by Three Initiatives

Van Sertima's stuff is exellent! The current prices though? I'm glad I've had mine for a while. I don't remember paying more than $25 per. I didn't see a couple of my favorites mentioned. Blacks in Science & Black Women of Antiquity.