Booker T On the Importance & Progress of Black Representation In Wrestling

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
On the progress of Black representation in wrestling: “A lot of people always seem to want my opinion on stuff like this. And I can honestly give my really true, honest opinion on subjects like this. Am I glad about it, am I happy about it? Of course I am, man. It’s awesome. And I think about when I was coming up as well, watching professional wrestling. I remember this one wrestler, his name was Mr. Ebony. He wore a mask, Black man, he wore a mask. First black wrestler I ever knew to wear a mask. I don’t know why he wore one. He was jacked, he looked good, but he never won a match. I don’t remember seeing Mr. Ebony win one match. And I used to be like, ‘God man, I mean what’s up with the brothers? And then Tony Atlas came came along of course. Tony Atlas, he would get a win here, there. But you know, you never saw Tony Atlas in a championship position until he was with Rocky Johnson in the WWF as Tag Team Champions. First Black Tag Team Champions in WWE history. And then Junkyard Dog on the other hand, ooh. That was that boy, man. He was he was a bad, bad man. The former North American Heavyweight Champion! He made me go, ‘Wow man, this dude here is doing it!’ But he had a gimmick, you know what I mean? And I was like, “Man…’ You know, that was the one thing about JYD. Even though he was not like a ‘gimmick’ gimmick, he still was kind of like on that gimmick level.”

On how things have changed from that era : “One thing about wrestling I think back then, the reason why we did not gravitate to it was because we didn’t see anyone like us that looked like us that was working at the top level. You know what I mean? So it’s like, ‘Man, that’s not gonna be way out, I’m not gonna go try that.’ So, now, hopefully, I gave a little bit of an inspiration to young people, Blacks, people of color, who want to try to get into wrestling. Of course New Day, Kofi Kingston, Bianca Belair, you know. And the list goes on now. Yeah man, representation is very, very important for us. To believe that we could be a part of what was going on there. We could be champions in that game. But there again, it’s going to take you know your talent. It’s the only thing that you’re gonna have to bank on. And that’s why I look at someone like Bianca Belair and I say, ‘Man, she’s money. She’s money all day.’ When I look at Carmelo Hayes, I say, ‘Let’s put the rocket on this boy, man,’ because he could be looking down saying, ‘Look, I’m on top of the world, mom. All I need is a chance and an opportunity,’ but more importantly, he’s got the talent to be able to do it.”

Daps
It's great to see & hear Booker T speaking on the state of Black wrestling. Even though there is still a long way to go in terms of Black wrestlers getting the money & opportunities that nonBlack wrestlers do, a lot of Black brothers & sisters have worked hard to elevate the Black wrestling culture. S/O to Black wrestling legends, and S/O to these unapologetically Black brehs & brehettes who continue to represent & push the culture forward:

Bianca Belair

Jade Cargill

The New Day

Shane Taylor

Ron Hunt

Lio Rush

Alexis Littlefoot

Ricky Starks

Trish Adora

Rich Swann

Carmelo Hayes

Street Profits

(The former members of) The Hurt Business

Will Hobbs

Big Swole

Keith Lee

Jada & Jordyn Vanity

Kenny King

Caprice Coleman

Stokely Hathaway

Tasha Steelz

Savannah Evans

Lee Moriarty

Chris Bey

Leon Ruff & Ref Aja

Kaun

Willow Nightengale

O' Shay Edwards

Private Party

Karen Bam Bam

...and the other brehs and brehettes who are putting on for us in the ring.

Also, S/O to the Black wrestlings podcasts & podcasters like The Black Announce Table, Talk of Champions, Jobber's Tears, Black Rasslin Podcast, Public Enemies, No Pad No Pencil, DDT Divas, Wrestling Wrealm, & Black wrestling forums like TSC

El Poyo Loco

Akrassikauda = Black Scorpion
Daps
Reppin
The 5 Boroughs
He's right about one thing coming up all I had was SD Jones until Bad News Brown then Ron Simmons. Then once Harlem Heat came on and was winning tag titles I just wanted more of us to be at the top consistently. I think consistently is the key word we shouldn't have gone so long between Ron Simmons to Ron Killings.