Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The volatility on this makes it a love/hate relationship, all the way up to 18.90, now back in the mid 17's :francis:
saw this NYT article that had me like :hhh: with regards to the volatility index..
What if you could simply have spent your career as the logistics manager of a Target store before ferociously shorting the VIX?

This is the path Seth Golden has trod. The New York Times reports that Golden, whose self-appointed title is chief market strategist after a “20 year career in retail” and a Bachelors of Science in “English Education” from Florida University, has made a small fortune doing little more than betting that the VIX, or so-called “fear gauge”, will keep on falling. “The nature of volatility is that it desensitizes over time,” Golden tells the NYT. “Which is why the index has been tracking down for so long.”

With this simple strategy Golden claims to have multiplied his net worth from $500k when he was aged 35 to $12m now that he’s aged 40. The implication is that he accumulated wealth at the rate of $25k a year during his 20 years in retail and $2.4m a year during his five years shorting the VIX.

Even better, Golden says investors have “been pounding on his door” to invest in his new VIX-shorting fund and have offered $100m so far.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Just dropping in with no particular knowledge. If you bought from companies like Exxon who had to shyt down refineries following the hurricane you'd have made a couple of dollars. XOM in particular is rallying today because of a rating upgrade. I'm only doing simulated trading right now but I'm up about $50 having only purchased a little over a thousand in shares. I can only imagine those holding several hundred or even thousands of shares.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Because of the Equifax data breach does anyone think that would be good to pick up? The stock took a big dive on Monday and hit a low of about 111.17 I think. I imagine people will forget within a couple months and it'll bounce back.
Edit: down to about 109 right now.
Edit 2: Down to 100 :damn:

Last edited:

N.J.stan

RIP Mac Miller
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Because of the Equifax data breach does anyone think that would be good to pick up? The stock took a big dive on Monday and hit a low of about 111.17 I think. I imagine people will forget within a couple months and it'll bounce back.
Edit: down to about 109 right now.
Edit 2: Down to 100 :damn:

Down to 91 :mjgrin:

Be careful trying to catch a falling knife :hubie:

Once it bottoms though, could be a good play :jawalrus:

TVIX looking good at these levels.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Down to 91 :mjgrin:

Be careful trying to catch a falling knife :hubie:

Once it bottoms though, could be a good play :jawalrus:

TVIX looking good at these levels.
Well I ain't got no damn money :russ: All my trading is simulated with TD Ameritrade. I'm just trying to get a handle on their platform and getting used to not overreacting to what the market is doing.

N.J.stan

RIP Mac Miller
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Well I ain't got no damn money :russ: All my trading is simulated with TD Ameritrade. I'm just trying to get a handle on their platform and getting used to not overreacting to what the market is doing.

:pachaha:

That's the way to do it though. Good call on the tip, got EFX on watch now :takedat:

Still expecting more fallout from those execs selling stock, but this one could be a huge play once it bottoms and starts recovering

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
For those of you who are learning or want to learn about chart analysis using candlesticks: Learning Center - Candlestick Patterns
This guide is meant mainly for their platform but you can gain a general understanding of candlestick patterns and which ones are bearish/bullish. When I get the time tomorrow I'll probably hop onto thinkorswim and try the stuff out, maybe even make some high value trades using my unrealistic PaperTrade account.

On my realistic account I've been gaining from 0.2-0.8% per day off of my meager holdings of RDS/A and XOM. I started it with $2500 worth of funds and wanted to see what kind of growth I could get from it. If I liquidate now I'm up to about $2620. What I need to do is add another couple hundred bucks in there to simulate monthly deposits. Within a few weeks I'm going to pull my initial investment out of those two stocks and let the remainder keep working, then find something else to get into for a few months. Not exactly long term but the more trades you make the more comfortable you'll get. When I first opened the account I bought like $18k worth of UPS before the holiday season got into full swing. I also put probably $12k into some biotech stocks that didn't pan out. I'd watch obsessively switching between :lupe: :smugbiden::damn: throughout the day. I'm training myself to forget about the market for a couple of days at a time so I don't fall into that emotional investor category.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
I think I want to invest in things that I know are going to be popping for the upcoming fall/winter season, like Energy(gas), Turkey(butterball? whoever produces turkey products), Walmart/Kroger, Sony, Microsoft, with the expectation they'll perform around this time of the year . Thoughts? Is this a safe bet for a beginner?

Earnings

Ele Jefe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Victory Lane
Stay away from OTC breh :scust:

99% are scams and you're far more likely to lose money than make it. I speak from experience :francis:

Sidenote: Anyone loading TVIX before the long weekend? Will probably be some fukkery that will tank the markets:jbhmm:
Thank u breh. shyt was a fluke. :whew:

I return with this question tho... What platform u brehs use to trade options:ld:?

LiIZaneFan1978

2PAC BACK
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think I want to invest in things that I know are going to be popping for the upcoming fall/winter season, like Energy(gas), Turkey(butterball? whoever produces turkey products), Walmart/Kroger, Sony, Microsoft, with the expectation they'll perform around this time of the year . Thoughts? Is this a safe bet for a beginner?

depends on your strategy

you're not gonna turn a significant profit if ur buying shares in established companies and just holding for a season unless you're buying hundreds or thousands of shares

"safe" shyt like $GOOG $AMZN $MCD $AAPL $NFLX $MSFT wont be quick flips, they appreciate over time (years)

Walmart, for example, was $69 on Nov. 1 and $68 on Jan. 3, with a peak of $71 so there goes your holiday season. With an investment of $6,930.00 (100 shares) u would've made a profit of $252.00, and that's ONLY IF u sold at the peak of Dec. 20 which u wouldn't have with Christmas still coming

Kroger dropped 30% in June on the news that Amazon would acquire Whole Foods and most grocers took a similar hit

There are people in this thread who make real money moves so they'd have more info, I'm just a brotha with a few thousand in robinhood