Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
Cathie just bought 7 million worth of NU, a South American digital bank. It looks like it was a spac that just listed.

g213207einsert6.jpg

g213207einsert8.jpg

IPO or spac?

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I grabbed some of this last week and tossed it in my graveyard portfolio. I looked at a few videos on it and it seems strong long term. Not sure if it will out preform Sofi but I grabbed 500 shares.

Cathie just bought 7 million worth of NU, a South American digital bank. It looks like it was a spac that just listed. It IPOd last week I want to say on the 8th or 9th. I got in on the 10th.

g213207einsert6.jpg

g213207einsert8.jpg

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
not an expert, but this is my understanding: rate hikes favor companies that currently have positive cash flows, as opposed to growth companies that aren't profitable now but are projected to have strong cash flows in the future. this is because when interest rates are low (like now), the value of your money won't decline as much over time, since there aren't really any alternatives to grow your money (putting money in the bank or in bonds loses you money due to inflation). this makes growth stocks very attractive to investors, since their future earnings are worth more in low rate environments, which makes them willing to take on more risk to chase potentially huge future returns. also, companies can more easily borrow money when rates are low, which means they can expand their growth faster.

when rates go up, suddenly the value of those future earnings starts decreasing, and the cost of borrowing goes up for companies. investors now have many other options with lower risk and decent returns (like long-term bonds, and companies that are already making good profits). thus, people will rotate out of growth stocks and into value stocks / high-dividend companies. we've seen this happen time and time again this year with every rate hike scare from the fed.

all that said, interest rates are still going to be historically low even after rate hikes, so i'm personally planning to keep my portfolio mostly in stocks and continue adding to my index funds.

this is what I'm doing. buying more and more index funds. but I only buy dividend paying ones, that way I can hold on to them long term while still getting a payout for my trouble.